Question

Hello everyone!

So I have finally acquired my own Region! I am trying to get the soil texture of mine to ONLY be under the water line so the "lakes" I have made into the ground using terraforming will have the soil texture below the "water line" I am having quite the struggle trying to do this as the dirt is showing up on hills and area above the limit I set the textures at...but I don't think I have fully grasped how the terrain texture editing works yet. 

This image below is what I'm working on so far. Damn you DIRT! I want you BELOW the water line HAHA!

08c67285b6f86b5a174e4ae3e6dc1e99.jpg

8 answers to this question

Setting the upper/lower altitude limits for each terrain texture is "artistic", in that the system doesn't pay much attention to the limits. A little bit of blending between layers would be fine, but the system will mix in textures from any layer onto any other layer. You can play with the settings for the four quadrants and get it to be "not too bad", but it won't necessarily stay that way. I gave up years ago and use prims for underwater textures if I really want it to look right.

• Like 1

As Par notes, you can set the terrain heights at which one ground texture transitions to the next.  However, you cannot set them EXACTLY.  There is an uncertainty built into this system, on purpose, to make the texture transitions appear more natural.  Not only can the transition vary over a range of terrain height, but the way YOU see it may not be the way I see it...and the way either of us sees it could change the next time we visit the region.

As a long time terrain "modder" I suggest that it is likely you cannot get what you want exactly.  It isn't YOU, it is the system. So sand can appear near a top of a grassy mound etc. And yes, things will change also so PERFECT isn't in the cards. I suggest that you will be happier if you terrain textures  are closer in value than you currently have. So the same "lightness" or "darkness" depending on how you look at it. Use a pattern for under the water areas that is different but that will blend in OK ALSO with the hilly areas.  That is part of the trick of getting things to look good.

An alternative would be to put your dark texture on some large prims and place them under the water to appear like "depths". We can't really  see through the water all that easily so if you did that and then chose another texture that was halfway between the underwater "prim" and what will be on your hills as the second lowest, that should blend things fairly well.

You can use LOCAL TEXTURES in the texture area for your land just like you would on a piece of furniture. So no need to keep uploading new textures. If one isn't right you can play with it and then save again with the same name and the land texture will be replaced by your new version. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2018 at 1:17 PM, Chic Aeon said:

You can use LOCAL TEXTURES in the texture area for your land just like you would on a piece of furniture. So no need to keep uploading new textures. If one isn't right you can play with it and then save again with the same name and the land texture will be replaced by your new version. 

Never thought of that! Thanks :D

On 3/20/2018 at 4:54 AM, TyrranaxH said:

This image below is what I'm working on so far. Damn you DIRT! I want you BELOW the water line HAHA!

08c67285b6f86b5a174e4ae3e6dc1e99.jpg

Worst part, they not only move, it's client-side generated so other people won't see it like you do.

I htink that 99% of the problem is the contrast between them.

What I would suggest is to do tile 1 as the dirt and all under water, tile 4 as the grass and mostly above water

then in Photoshop/Gimp, tile 3 as mostly grass, tile 2 as mostly dirt - and height these to be at the waterline +- a few meters

You can do these 2 new textures by layering both, then making a cow-spot layer as well. You make that with the clouds filter (filter>render>clouds) then dropping the contrast to 2 colours (image>adjustment>levels and drag the two sliders inwards, where they are sets how big the spots are), blurring, masking on that and then using the mask to fade the grass, or the dirt over the other texture just the right amount.

Don't put these on 1 or 4, only 2 and 3.

You know, once you put in some grasses, shrubs, and trees, along with some decorative rocks, your landscape will look much more natural and you will begin to see the terrain texture variations as simply part of the landscape.  After all, in the real world there are bare patches on the ground too.

Get it close, but it will not look the same to everyone. Mac and PC computers do not resolve the terrain exactly the same. There is at least a 3 meter difference in how the terrain textures layer comparing one machine to another. 

20 hours ago, John01 Freng said:

Get it close, but it will not look the same to everyone. Mac and PC computers do not resolve the terrain exactly the same. There is at least a 3 meter difference in how the terrain textures layer comparing one machine to another. 

The Perlin Noise function used to merge the tiles also shifts over time.

Mac, Linux, and Windows will all shift into different places over the course of a year.