SL eats my display name

Morgana8769

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2201 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello.  I have tried changing my display name twice....each time it works for about half an hour to an hour, so its not immediately rejected.  I do want some fancy lettering, but I don't want the annoying kind.  I did put in a support ticket, but I was wondering how others have fixed this issue.

5 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, Morgana8769 said:

I did put in a support ticket, but I was wondering how others have fixed this issue.

They've played around until they found characters that don't get rejected.  Most of the fancy characters are truly annoying because they can't be displayed in contest boards and welcoming signs, and they don't get picked up well by scripts and echoed in chat when DJs and merchants are trying to interact with you.  They're even hard for people to read.  That's the big reason why most of them are rejected by the system.  If you really want to use them, you just have to experiment.

• Like 2

If you really want to be referred to by your display name, and not by your username, be careful with how you use the fancy characters.

I have my settings set to show both display name and username, and if I can't easily and very quickly see what name I should type for the display name, I will simply use the username. This is just me, but I would hazard a guess I'm not alone in this behavior.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The biggest problem with display names that use anything other than standard characters is many scripts will fail and display your name as "????????????"

Even the non-annoying ones like Mᴏʀɢᴀɴᴀ (which does display over your head) messes up quite a large number of scripts and makes them say stuff like "??????? cries out in the grip of a powerful neko-bite"

The Lab really messed this up, terribly, and the abuse it suffers really limits what could be done.

Edited by Callum Meriman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2201 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.