Joining land and I goofed up

Decker Darkthief

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a little place in the Jeogeot gulf and a parcel next to mine came available so I bought it. The tier stayed the same so all was good. I wanted to join them together with my current and it kept saying I could not as two different owners. My original was under my group, and the new parcel was just my name. 

So I put my original parcel up for sale for 0 to myself and on purchase it said I was going to level up on tier.. I agreed and figured once I got all under one name It would reset at the previous level.

Well, that didn't work out well. Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, Decker Darkthief said:

I have a little place in the Jeogeot gulf and a parcel next to mine came available so I bought it. The tier stayed the same so all was good. I wanted to join them together with my current and it kept saying I could not as two different owners. My original was under my group, and the new parcel was just my name. 

So I put my original parcel up for sale for 0 to myself and on purchase it said I was going to level up on tier.. I agreed and figured once I got all under one name It would reset at the previous level.

Well, that didn't work out well. Any suggestions?

Deed both parcels to the group (the same group) and use the deed 'with tier' option.  Once the same group owns them both then you can join them.  UNLESS the second parcel is actually in another sim - then you'll never be able to join them, even if they are next to each other.

The reason that it took you up in tier was because when you sold it to yourself, the associated tier was still donated to the group.  Thus you needed more tier to apply to the land that you owned personally.

For future reference, you can remove tier from a group, letting it go negative, if you are going to sell it directly to yourself.  That way you'll have the tier yourself for the purchase.  Groups are allowed to be negative on tier for short periods of time.m  In this case though, the better option would have been to deed the piece that you personally owned to the group - deeding to group with tier.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Decker Darkthief said:

Assuming you have both parcels with you as owner.

If you don't do that last step then you will be paying money you don't need to. Because you made a mistake originally and accepted the extra charge you will get one month of extra fees payable to the lab, but if you drop it down on the web page it's just one month.

Next time, don't sell to yourself, instead deed the land you own ticking "owner makes contribution", then join.

Edited by Callum Meriman

11 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

If you don't do that last step then you will be paying money you don't need to. Because you made a mistake originally and accepted the extra charge you will get one month of extra fees payable to the lab, but if you drop it down on the web page it's just one month.n.

You don't necessarily have to change anything on the web page.  I actually verified this just last month.  The only thing that radio button does is set the point at which you will get that 'tier increasing' warning.  You are not ever charged for more than you are really using. 

Once all of the land is in the group with the appropriate tier, the rest of the tier is no longer being used and won't be charged after this current billing cycle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You don't necessarily have to change anything on the web page.  I actually verified this just last month.  The only thing that radio button does is set the point at which you will get that 'tier increasing' warning.  You are not ever charged for more than you are really using. 

Once all of the land is in the group with the appropriate tier, the rest of the tier is no longer being used and won't be charged after this current billing cycle.

And after the current billing cycle has completed and been paid, you should see the appropriate tier amount showing on your account page for the new billing cycle. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Are you saying the lab have changed the system so they auto reduce your chosen level of tier?

That is, if I choose to pay for 65535 but not use it they will automatically reduce it down to my true holdings?

21 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Are you saying the lab have changed the system so they auto reduce your chosen level of tier?

That is, if I choose to pay for 65535 but not use it they will automatically reduce it down to my true holdings?

They don't move the radio button, but the radio button is not what they base their billing on.   The radio button is used by the system to determine whether or not to show you the warning that a land purchase will increase your tier above the level you had indicated with the radio button (according to the explanation on the "Land Use Fees" page, and from my experience.) So if you the radio button set at 65535, you would not getting any warning messages when purchasing mainland parcels about the tier level, but you would only be billed for the tier level that your amount of owned land fell into for the billing cycle.

I remember when Lil tested it last month during a conversation about this in another thread.  I have also left mine at the higher amount after selling land to reduce my tier level, and I was not charged for more than the amount of land I actually owned in the billing cycle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Very interesting!

So we can start ignoring the common advice to reduce your tier setting on the web page.

thanks.

It's still probably wise to still reset the radio button for tier level if one doesn't think they'll be going back up to a higher level - not because of over-billing, but so that one will get the warning if they go to purchase land and it's over the tier level they specified. 

The warning can be very handy when you're dealing with switching land between group and non-group owned, for example - the tier increase warning lets you know when you haven't removed or added tier donations correctly to not end up with an inadvertent momentary tier increase while changing the land ownership modes (which is the subject that started this thread).

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.