Particle source on rigged mesh... Expected Behaviour!??

Vulpinus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've just spent L$10,000 on Avastar for just one project, only to find that the particle source on rigged mesh attachments is avatar centre, and this is expected behaviour!!! It's killed my wonderful idea stone dead.

What idiot decided that? Seriously, I rarely whinge about SL (since I learned how things work here) but that is just stupid.

Especially now we have Bento with loads of new possibilities... think what we could achieve without this ridiculous limitation.

Arghhh!

/rant.

That doesn't surprise me.  Particles are always generated from the center of the prim containing the script, and always generated along its +Z axis.  I imagine that's true for rigged mesh, the same as any other object in SL, and therefore not anything you can change.  However, when we want to add particles that are generated from a different spot or in a different direction, the usual method is to link a child prim that contains the particle generator.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

Aye, unfortunately adding a child prim won't work for me because it won't move relative to the bone I need it at.

I thought I had such a good idea, that I hadn't seen done before, and I even learned about rigging to make it happen, lol.

I was so disappointed when I found out why I hadn't seen it done before 9_9

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That doesn't surprise me.  Particles are always generated from the center of the prim containing the script, and always generated along its +Z axis.  I imagine that's true for rigged mesh, the same as any other object in SL, and therefore not anything you can change.  However, when we want to add particles that are generated from a different spot or in a different direction, the usual method is to link a child prim that contains the particle generator.

Can’t they get around this by sticking the script in a prim, making the prim transparent, and attaching it to the mesh avatar wherever desired (like any other attachment)?

ETA: Sorry I just wrote a load of rubbish.

The bottom line is that the prim will move with its attachment point, because it isn't rigged. If you want particles at that attachment point, it will work. If you want them rigged to another bone, that isn;t exposed in the viewer as an attachment point, it won't work. The (unrigged) prim will move with the attachment point, not the bone you want it at. OK if you stay still, not when you move and animate.

Edited by Vulpinus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.