What makes you reject a hair style?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a few hard rules when buying hair. I never buy hair that covers up one eye. I never buy hair that flows over the chest. I never buy hair that parts straight down the middle. If the hair has any of these I tend to dismiss any thought of purchasing it. 

Actually I do bend the rules on the last one if the hair is really nice but the first two rules are never broken for me. 

Is there any particular hair design that you make you reject it no matter how nice it is? 

Yep, yesterday I rejected one because it didn't have an option for bigger breasts and was going into, not over them.

I don't like short hair, or hair with a fringe, I prefer a bit just at each side

Usually I like colour change, waist length hair or tied up.

Also, I reject them if I have to change my head shape to fit

I won't change my head to fit.  I'm not big into long styles, but have a few.  I always check CI as hair can be a biggie there. I absolutely do not wear pigtails of any sort, though a ponytail is fine.  I don't like shaved sides or back.  I prefer it not to cover an eye, but not a hard rule -- as you can tell from my profile pic. Long styles must not clip into the body or my clothes.

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

I never buy hair that covers up one eye

aww, I love those lmao ...

Bree, reading your post for the first time made me think of John Cusack in "Say anything" when he was asked what his plans were for his career. He said: " I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that." lol

In all seriousness though; style and texturing. I have seen so many adorbable hair styles that I'd love to wear if not for the botched texturing job. Hair IMO has evolved the least in the last few years.

I do love that more vendors are jumping on board with a style HUD, and now a few are including hairbases built in. 

• Like 2

I don´t really like any kind of bobs or sidecuts, I had a mohawk and undercut phase but those are long gone now. I avoid bangs that are too sharp , that look just isn´t what I like on Kasha... not too much blonde is used, usually some sort of bangs

I do love style huds and usually my hair is either on the darker redscale, pink or purple, pastel or both, orange or wild colour fusions and ombre and bayalage and whatever those things are called xD

Well that's really easy for me.

1. If it's not natural looking dreadlocks, a weave or similar. My alts have different rules - but each has a specific style theme.

2. If it goes in front of the bosom - because once they do that it never fits right from all angles.

3. If it's no-mod. I have my own custom hair color - if I can't mod it, I can't 'color' it away from where it started to fit my look. I usually buy browns / blacks - and add a dash of a dark red in the color swath tool. I also remove all scripts, and if there is a prim inside with a logo - I replace that with the 'default transparency texture' to reduce lag. So... MUST be mod.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

In order of why I will reject a hairstyle:

1. 'Flat' looking textures with no gloss to them, especially black.
  2. 'Size all over' resize scripts with no directional resize and no manual modification.
  3. Rigged hair that doesn't sit perfectly on my mesh head, either hovering above it or cutting into it anywhere.
  4. 'Unisex' hair with huge boob-bumps.
  5. High complexity.
Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Thanks 1

Pretty much all the hair I buy is L$50 Friday hair from one store I don't bother demoing so some styles I might not like all that much but of those I do the only reason I wouldn't wear the hair is down to complexity I have some styles that I love but are unwearable due to their complexity being twice as high as the value I like to keep within 

I won't buy any hair this is no mod unless the hair has a tinting hud included. I want to be able to tweak the color of the hair. I've yet to find a shade of red or brown right out of the box that I like.

I won't change the shape of my head for hair, period.

I'm not a fan of the now popular style huds because I'd rather not be wearing a lot of invisible mesh to hike up my complexity levels. I'd much prefer the creator to include the various styles in the folder and let me pick the one I want to wear.

I love variety so there's no style I consider off limits. 

Good hair texture is a must!

First and foremost bad textures. There are several big name brands which I stopped buying and purged from my inventory because of this.

I don't care for hair in wild colors, pastels, etc. I'll make exceptions if there's is a specific look I'm trying to achieve (like at Halloween) and the hair is inexpensive (such as a Fifty Linden Friday deal). Same for special effects like glitter, clips in the hair, flowers, what have you.  I don't mind headbands though as long as they are basic looking.

Not big on pig tails or braids, for the most part. 

I can tolerate a lot of other things others find problematic if the hair suits a look I'm trying to create.  

1. Technical issues: Bad textures, clipping, high complexity

2. Ver specifiy sizing: I don't like hair, that is either so bulky, it makes my head look tiny or so flat, that it almost looks like painted on.

3. All hair styles that do not work well with my ears.

If there is no demo, I will not buy it - for any amount of money - because styles fit and look so different, even from the same creator.

If I don't like the reddish colors in the color HUD - or can't try them because the demo doesn't offer all colors - then I won't buy it unless it is modifiable.

• Like 2

I am sooo glad to see "High Complexity" as a repeating theme here. I can start being social more if the 300,000 complexity lag beasts go out of style... :P

(It's one thing to go out when you've de-rendered half or more of the people around you... it's a whole other thing when you can see and interact with them.)

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 4

What do you call it when you can stretch a mesh item on one axis?  I like to fit hairs onto some very non-standard head types, so if I can't stretch, squish, and rearrange individual locks to fit, I can't use it.  I have normal human avatars that can use those hairs, but it's always disappointing when I can't find an unrigged, modifiable hair for a look I want.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.