Firestorm viewer crashing with advanced lighting mode enabled

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone know why this is occurring, seems to have started since the last firestorm update. Once Advanced lighting mode is enabled, the viewer will freeze after a few seconds , everything seems fine when its not enabled. Things tried so far  lowered graphic settings, such as speed and draw distance, uninstalled and reinstalled firestorm. If anyone has any ideas or possible solutions it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Edited by CollidingNeurons

38 minutes ago, CollidingNeurons said:

Does anyone know why this is occurring, seems to have started since the last firestorm update. Once Advanced lighting mode is enabled, the viewer will freeze after a few seconds , everything seems fine when its not enabled. Things tried so far  lowered graphic settings, such as speed and draw distance, uninstalled and reinstalled firestorm. If anyone has any ideas or possible solutions it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Tell us a bit more about your system.  Click Help / About Firestorm in the viewer - copy and paste the info here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Tell us a bit more about your system.  Click Help / About Firestorm in the viewer - copy and paste the info here.

Here is my info: 

Firestorm 5.0.11 (53634) Jan  9 2018 20:02:54 (Firestorm-Releasex64) with OpenSimulator support
Release Notes

You are at 160.7, 113.2, 61.3 in Monty located at sim10006.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.48.16:13017)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Monty/161/113/61
(global coordinates 285,089.0, 275,057.0, 61.3)
Second Life Server 18.02.12.512536
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (2808 MHz)
Memory: 16251 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 16299)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 23.21.13.8816
OpenGL Version: 4.2.0 - Build 22.20.16.4836

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.47.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1i zlib/1.2.8
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.9.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.61
LLCEFLib/CEF Version: 1.5.3-(CEF-WIN-3.2526.1347-32)
LibVLC Version: 2.2.4
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 1920x1001 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1.25
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 500 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: Medium-High (4/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: No
Texture memory: 2048 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2018-3-17T19:10:37 
Built with MSVC version 1800
Packets Lost: 0/7,722 (0.0%)
March 17 2018 12:23:02 SLT

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CollidingNeurons said:

and whats really strange she has a nvidia card that shows up on her computers device manager, but isn't listing it on that viewer info

I was just getting ready to ask about a secondary card. 

There should be an Nvidia app on the computer that will let her assign an application specifcally to that card.  Have her do that - the latest firestorm install likely wiped out the previous setting for that.

In my case, I simply have to right click my desktop and there is an Nvidia Control app to access.  Once the control panel is up, select Manage 3D settings and then click on Program Settings.  Add the Firestore executable.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, CollidingNeurons said:

and whats really strange she has a nvidia card that shows up on her computers device manager, but isn't listing it on that viewer info

Ok on my old laptop every time nvidia updated I had to go into the nvidia control panel and manage 3D settings and tell Firestorm to use Nvidia

• Like 1

right click desktop - chose nvidia control panel - manage 3D settings and in the programme settings tab Firestorm should show in the dropdown.  If not use ADD - highlight it then select the preferred graphics for this programme and choose nvidia

• Like 3

Just now, CollidingNeurons said:

you al fixed it  ! thank you both so much :)

YAY!   I hope it sticks.  If it is anything like my old laptop she might have to do the same thing each time nvidia updates but usually firestorm gives a message on log in if the graphics driver has been changed to something else which would remind me to go and reset the nvidia control panel.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey yall, I've been having this problem recently as well. Although I usually crash when I try to refresh my snapshot, but sometimes when I enable adv. lighting model.

PU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5257U CPU @ 2.70GHz (2700 MHz)
Memory: 8192 MB
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11.5 Darwin 15.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 15.5.0: Tue Apr 19 18:36:36 PDT 2016; root:xnu-3248.50.21~8/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel Inc.
Graphics Card: Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 6100

OpenGL Version: 2.1 INTEL-10.14.66

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.47.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1i zlib/1.2.8
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.9
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.61
LLCEFLib/CEF Version: 1.5.3-(CEF-OSX-3.2171.2069-32)
LibVLC Version: Undefined
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: AnsaStorm (Bright Blue)
Window size: 1122x661 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 96 m
Bandwidth: 550 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2.25
Render quality: Medium-Low (2/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: 512 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): unknown
Built with Clang version 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 8.1.0 (clang-802.0.42)
March 28 2018 10:47:46 SLT

PU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5257U CPU @ 2.70GHz (2700 MHz)
Memory: 8192 MB
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11.5 Darwin 15.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 15.5.0: Tue Apr 19 18:36:36 PDT 2016; root:xnu-3248.50.21~8/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Graphics Card: Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 6100

I'm clueless about Apple and Macs, but the integrated Iris graphics might be a bit too much stressed when switching modes. 
Did you try lowering your draw distance before you change anything else? That should reduce the load.

1 hour ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

I'm clueless about Apple and Macs, but the integrated Iris graphics might be a bit too much stressed when switching modes. 
Did you try lowering your draw distance before you change anything else? That should reduce the load.

Ill give that a shot! How much do you think I should reduce the draw distance by?

3 minutes ago, OnlyMon said:

Ill give that a shot! How much do you think I should reduce the draw distance by?

From what you posted above, it is set to 94m, which is pretty small.  You could drop it, but I'm not sure that will help any.

Have you ever been able to enable the adv. lighting with this computer?

What resolution are you taking pictures at?  If it is rather large, you could try some smaller resolution settings and see if that helps.

In any case, I'm sure someone that knows more about Macs will wander by soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

From what you posted above, it is set to 94m, which is pretty small.  You could drop it, but I'm not sure that will help any.

Have you ever been able to enable the adv. lighting with this computer?

What resolution are you taking pictures at?  If it is rather large, you could try some smaller resolution settings and see if that helps.

In any case, I'm sure someone that knows more about Macs will wander by soon.

Im able to enable adv. lighting with come computer! Its strange, because some days I could even bump my graphics to one setting before Ultra and not crash. Whilst other days, the fans kick in like crazy and I crash on the graphics before low. I find that I tend to crash more when I try to refresh my snapshots or about to press save. 

Current resolution is 2485 x 1464, ill knock it down and see if that helps! If I think about it and that I mainly crash when I try to take a photo, this might be the issue? 

Edited by OnlyMon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.