Making an alt or specifically first impressions for a new account

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's been ages since I made my alt.  She has a last name so it is that long.  I decided  to make a new one today because I was distracting myself from something.  I found a name, eventually, that wasn't taken.  I arrive at social island, new experience for me so I decided to follow the tutorials.  Obviously easy for me but I thought they were well done for someone new.  Right up until I find a row of portals to explore places in second life.  I go through the first one, get spammed with group invites, landmarks and an IM greeting where I was invited to "Enjoy Your Stay,have fun and be naughty!" for an adult sex club and then instantly sent back to social island for being too young for this club!  So now my question is how is the decision made on where these portals lead because surely it is not sensible to just go through the first one and get kicked back to social island.  It confused me at first so I am sure a new person would be very confused and think they had done something wrong by entering an area they weren't allowed in.

Now to see how cheaply I can dress her up. :D 

Edited by Cindy Evanier
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I’ve never made an alt! Maybe I should. How do you associate it with your main account? Is it easy to create one?

Yes just log out of the dashboard then choose join free from the page that appears after log out.  Then choose avi, name, details, agree to TOS and off you go, log that account in

2 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Yes just log out of the dashboard then choose join free from the page that appears after log out.  Then choose avi, name, details, agree to TOS and off you go, log that account in

Ah, so it’s not actually associated with your main account (except for the email you supply).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil Deakins said:

I don't think that alts have been associated with accounts since we stopped having to pay for them. The information supplied can connect accounts if needed, but that's not the same as accounts being associated.

You bring up a good point. Can I use the same payment info on both accounts?

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I arrive at social island, new experience for me so I decided to follow the tutorials.  Obviously easy for me but I thought they were well done for someone new.  Right up until I find a row of portals to explore places in second life.  I go through the first one, get spammed with group invites, landmarks and an IM greeting where I was invited to "Enjoy Your Stay,have fun and be naughty!" for an adult sex club and then instantly sent back to social island for being too young for this club!

So now my question is how is the decision made on where these portals lead because surely it is not sensible to just go through the first one and get kicked back to social island.  It confused me at first so I am sure a new person would be very confused and think they had done something wrong by entering an area they weren't allowed in.

So that's the reason that I see "born today" avatars in random places, clubs, live concerts, shopping, etc.
Then they are totally clueless "what is this place, where I am now. Help!"

I wonder why the portals transport new avatars even to places where they are not allowed to stay? That's weird.
It appears that the portal transport places are randomly selected without checking what those places actually are. :(

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

It appears that the portal transport places are randomly selected without checking what those places actually are.

Yeah I found it very strange they would send a new account straight to a sex club... well not that strange that they look for that lol  but strange that officially they send them

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Back in the day, you had to be tricked into visiting a “sex dungeon” by another avatar. What is this new dark magic?

Oh you too lol

Go to social island, take the first portal to your right -  it was a purple colour and see where you end up

1 minute ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Oh you too lol

Go to social island, take the first portal to your right -  it was a purple colour and see where you end up

That’s just wrong. No wonder retention / logins whatever drops over time if that’s the noobie experience! The fire-whatever viewer portal sounds like a haven by comparison.

I'm being serious when I say that, if there was no indication as to what was at the other end, I'd drop an IM to whoever is the manager of that part of SL. Then, if it doesn't improve, I'd drop a notecard to Ebbe Linden. If I couldn't find out who is in charge of that part, then I'd go straight to Ebbe Linden. Somebody is badly letting LL down, imo.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I'm being serious when I say that, if there was no indication as to what was at the other end, I'd drop an IM to whoever is the manager of that part of SL. Then, if it doesn't improve, I'd drop an IM to Ebbe Linden. If I couldn't find out who is in charge of that part, then I'd go straight to Ebee Linden. Somebody is seriously letting LL down, imo.

I have just been back and this is my view

5aad3b1142e16_Test1.png.cd9b3745a4aa2510c02e910bd07b49d6.png

and apologies for this post because if I had cammed up  I would have seen  this  :$

5aad3b45ee0f0_Test2.png.bb152880404b4823d736c02b946ae15d.png

In my defense I was excited, I had just joined and learnt how to jump  and just chose the first portal

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Haha 2

Hmm. The words above the portal do make a difference. They do imply that some nudity or sex stuff is to be found at the other end. I haven't visited that island, so my guess now is that there is a range of different types of destinations, and the adult type one is just one of them.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

To answer the op's original question, the portals work off the destination guide with a bit of Linden magic to generate landmarks(if it gave you a landmark).

I do think it should be revised to only pull destinations from the new resident friendly category though. Being offered a location only to be kicked out of said location isn't the welcoming message we want to send to new resident whom may potentially stay and become part of our community.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ah, so it’s not actually associated with your main account (except for the email you supply).

It is only associated with your main account if you give any shared info, but you don't have to.  They could have different emails and different payment info (if the alt has any payment info at all), etc..

2 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

It's been ages since I made my alt.  She has a last name so it is that long.  I decided  to make a new one today because I was distracting myself from something.  I found a name, eventually, that wasn't taken.  I arrive at social island, new experience for me so I decided to follow the tutorials.  Obviously easy for me but I thought they were well done for someone new.  Right up until I find a row of portals to explore places in second life.  I go through the first one, get spammed with group invites, landmarks and an IM greeting where I was invited to "Enjoy Your Stay,have fun and be naughty!" for an adult sex club and then instantly sent back to social island for being too young for this club!  So now my question is how is the decision made on where these portals lead because surely it is not sensible to just go through the first one and get kicked back to social island.  It confused me at first so I am sure a new person would be very confused and think they had done something wrong by entering an area they weren't allowed in.

Now to see how cheaply I can dress her up. :D 

I've created one alt since the drop of last names and that was sometime last year.  I didn't hang around to check out social island, so didn't have any of that *fun*.  Not sure now if that is a good or bad thing.B|

14 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I've created one alt since the drop of last names and that was sometime last year.  I didn't hang around to check out social island, so didn't have any of that *fun*.  Not sure now if that is a good or bad thing.B|

OMG the poor thing had to learn how to walk, fly and cam all by her/himself?  That's mean :P

• Haha 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.