Will The mesh project bodies and heads

ZaneyApples

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1823 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am wondering if The mesh project will update their bodies and heads to bento i love the body is really pretty so i am asking do you think be updated to bento fingers move or ect i mean it would be nice because from what i know pretty much all mesh body or most has updated to bento just not this one so yeah what you guys think

Nobody knows. There are several rumours about the current non-Bento sale, but the two main ones are:

1. That it's a last-gasp money-grab before they switch off their external servers and all TMP objects stop working
  2. That it's a pre-Bento-release sale before they release Bento heads and bodies

Which one (if either) is true is anybody's guess. However, given their business practices in the past, I wouldn't hold your breath for #2 to happen. I suspect that sales of their non-Bento bodies and heads had dropped off massively prior to this sale - mainly because hardly anyone is creating for TMP anymore - and this sale was a way to get some cash rolling in to keep the servers running. They've been promising a Bento release for a long time now and nothing has happened, not even any updates to their current items. Even their CSR has no idea how long the sale is on for, which is not a promising sign.

If you're considering a new body/head purchase I would strongly suggest looking elsewhere, to find items that are being actively worked on, updated, and created-for.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Skell Dagger said:

Nobody knows. There are several rumours about the current non-Bento sale, but the two main ones are:

1. That it's a last-gasp money-grab before they switch off their external servers and all TMP objects stop working
  2. That it's a pre-Bento-release sale before they release Bento heads and bodies

Which one (if either) is true is anybody's guess. However, given their business practices in the past, I wouldn't hold your breath for #2 to happen. I suspect that sales of their non-Bento bodies and heads had dropped off massively prior to this sale - mainly because hardly anyone is creating for TMP anymore - and this sale was a way to get some cash rolling in to keep the servers running. They've been promising a Bento release for a long time now and nothing has happened, not even any updates to their current items. Even their CSR has no idea how long the sale is on for, which is not a promising sign.

If you're considering a new body/head purchase I would strongly suggest looking elsewhere, to find items that are being actively worked on, updated, and created-for.

Ohhh...TMP=The Mesh Project!

43 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

thats sad truly is wells i guess i will stick to my eve then later might look into other bodies 

The only rumour i've heard is that the sale is an attempt to grab as much money as possible out of SL before pulling the plug and rendering all iterations of the body useless. anyone that invested as far as the free body when it was available have been the biggest winners of the sale as all the clothes, shoes & accessories are free the shopping HUD may be the worst shopping experience ever but the stuff is really good quality and everything appears to auto alpha so fits perfectly

If i was looking to buy a body i wouldn't waste a single L$ on TMP in case they are due to pull the plug

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

The only rumour i've heard is that the sale is an attempt to grab as much money as possible out of SL before pulling the plug and rendering all iterations of the body useless. anyone that invested as far as the free body when it was available have been the biggest winners of the sale as all the clothes, shoes & accessories are free the shopping HUD may be the worst shopping experience ever but the stuff is really good quality and everything appears to auto alpha so fits perfectly

If i was looking to buy a body i wouldn't waste a single L$ on TMP in case they are due to pull the plug

again this is sad i think style hud is great is a good concept

Even if we were to give them the benefit of the doubt, and they announce Bento is here; would you really want to invest in their brand knowing their past track record; what can and will happen if they shut down their servers?

Their product was released at a time when there was little to no competition, and yet they squandered that opportunity. Product support was and still is terrible. I cringed at the thought of having to use my HUD. I think it is reasonable to say that it is their last ditch effort to milk the cow one last time. If you had been to their store just prior to this sale, you would have seen that it was usually a ghost town.

• Like 4

I was long ago told that the original developers of TMP had already left SL, and that it's currently under either someone they gave it to, or the 'one person that still has an account'...

Many mesh body brands have tools that resemble the style HUD for applying things. When people here say they don't like the style HUD what they are really bothered by is that it is mandatory for all changes and a locked system using external to SL servers...

And completely pointless...

The UUID of everything you encounter in SL is stored as the name of the file of that object in your cache folder... so any measures to protect UUIDs of things like textures are folly... You either have to trust people to use the things they pay for, or pull out. Maybe that is why they pulled out.

Everyone else now uses either 'the applier system' or... if the body is mod (like in the furry community), sells you a no-transfer texture and you just edit your body and put it on. The Applier system might "seem like the Style HUD"... but it's all contained inside of SL. If the maker of the applier leaves SL, you can still use your applier. No external servers...

EVERYONE is going to know the day the last member of TMP leaves SL. Because on that day, every TMP body in SL will no longer work - whatever you were wearing at that moment as a skin or layer - you will be stuck wearing forever.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:57 AM, Claireschen Hesten said:

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:29 AM, Pussycat Catnap said:

I was long ago told that the original developers of TMP had already left SL, and that it's currently under either someone they gave it to, or the 'one person that still has an account'...

Many mesh body brands have tools that resemble the style HUD for applying things. When people here say they don't like the style HUD what they are really bothered by is that it is mandatory for all changes and a locked system using external to SL servers...

And completely pointless...

The UUID of everything you encounter in SL is stored as the name of the file of that object in your cache folder... so any measures to protect UUIDs of things like textures are folly... You either have to trust people to use the things they pay for, or pull out. Maybe that is why they pulled out.

Everyone else now uses either 'the applier system' or... if the body is mod (like in the furry community), sells you a no-transfer texture and you just edit your body and put it on. The Applier system might "seem like the Style HUD"... but it's all contained inside of SL. If the maker of the applier leaves SL, you can still use your applier. No external servers...

EVERYONE is going to know the day the last member of TMP leaves SL. Because on that day, every TMP body in SL will no longer work - whatever you were wearing at that moment as a skin or layer - you will be stuck wearing forever.

I have to wonder if LL would get involved and do something if they actually do shut off the servers and render all those bodies useless. That'll be a lot of customers left in the cold.

28 minutes ago, Gadget Portal said:

I have to wonder if LL would get involved and do something if they actually do shut off the servers and render all those bodies useless. That'll be a lot of customers left in the cold.

I'd guess a pretty strong no.

This is a Resident to Resident case, being we, Residents, are purchasing from TMP, Residents.

I never got TMP because you're not buying a mesh, no one bought a mesh, they bought 'credits'  to trade for the use of a mesh, with virtual tokens of no value to anyone but us, Residents.

Seems, i know not that much about, so please give me some information.
Why the TMP bodies are going to be disfunctional after they shut doen the servers?
Speaking for my maitreya lara, i thought i have everything i need to make it work inworld. The alpa hides the old avatar and the body itself is "just" a mesh prim.
What are the servers for? 

• Like 1

The Mesh Project uses a server based applier system, rather than an in world one.  Once the servers go down it will not be possible to change any textures applied to the bodies, so all skins, tattoos and applier clothing will be stuck as it is when the servers stop working.  I imagine that the alpha cuts will still work, and any mesh clothes that have in world appliers to change the textures will still work, but the mesh clothes made by the Mesh Project themselves may not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

The Mesh Project uses a server based applier system

Im glad i didnt write what came into my mind first... It was something like "Its the clients fault if they buy a crappy solution like a server based applier"
But i guess, the majority (like me) didnt even know about the TMP servers, right? I just would have bought the body, and then i would wonder one day, why its not working anymore...

Edited by Resi Pfeffer

3 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Im glad i didnt write what came into my mind first... It was something like "Its the clients fault if they buy a crappy solution like a server based applier"
But i guess, the majority (like me) didnt even know about the TMP servers, right? I just would have bought the body, and then i would wonder one day, why its not working anymore...

Oh absolutely.  The TMP body was one of the earliest ones so they were still very new and to many residents a bit of an unknown quantity.  They also offered a very basic free version, which understandably was picked up by a huge number of people so that they could try the newest shiny on the grid.  I'd imagine that did create a degree of brand loyalty for some, and so now here we are.  It's a shame, but the majority of other mesh bodies, whilst almost all no mod, do have a more similar way of working, and many are compatible to an extent with the Omega script system.  All we need to do now is try on all the demos, see which shape type we like best, check out compatible bits and bobs and accessibility to decent skins, make sure there are sufficient clothes and accessories and actually it is still a bit of a  minefield!  Thank heaven for http://meshbodyaddicts.com/ that does a compare and contrast for so many of them :)

5 hours ago, Gadget Portal said:

I'd highly doubt they would; the terms of service are quite clear (see blow). In fact, this reminds me of a situation that happened back in 2017 involving breedables; whereby residents lost the ability to feed their animals and thousands of pets died as a result. While injunctions were involved in that case; I am afraid had it been not for that, the outcome would have been the same from LL's standpoint.

" The Service may contain links to or otherwise allow connections to third-party websites, servers, and online services or environments that are not owned or controlled by Linden Lab. You agree that Linden Lab is not responsible or liable for the Content, policies or practices of any third-party websites, servers or online services or environments. Please consult any applicable terms of use and privacy policies provided by the third party for such websites, servers or online services or environments."

*This portion of the TOS is most relevant to the topic; however, there are other notations within the TOS which further corroborate this.

4 hours ago, Ipecac Burnham said:

I'd guess a pretty strong no.

This is a Resident to Resident case, being we, Residents, are purchasing from TMP, Residents.

I never got TMP because you're not buying a mesh, no one bought a mesh, they bought 'credits'  to trade for the use of a mesh, with virtual tokens of no value to anyone but us, Residents.

Right, I forgot about that. It's the same excuse LL uses, as a matter of fact.

7 minutes ago, Chase01 said:

I'd highly doubt they would; the terms of service are quite clear (see blow). In fact, this reminds me of a situation that happened back in 2017 involving breedables; whereby residents lost the ability to feed their animals and thousands of pets died as a result. While injunctions were involved in that case; I am afraid had it been not for that, the outcome would have been the same from LL's standpoint.

" The Service may contain links to or otherwise allow connections to third-party websites, servers, and online services or environments that are not owned or controlled by Linden Lab. You agree that Linden Lab is not responsible or liable for the Content, policies or practices of any third-party websites, servers or online services or environments. Please consult any applicable terms of use and privacy policies provided by the third party for such websites, servers or online services or environments."

*This portion of the TOS is most relevant to the topic; however, there are other notations within the TOS which further corroborate this.

Very true.

Here's hoping that law passes to nullify the DMCA from abandoned software. 

Speaking of TMP and the shops and the clothes all being free...  If I want to get every free item in every color, it looks like I have to 'unlock' each mesh item, which gets it delivered, then I have to buy each color (still free so okay), then apply the colors with the style mode hud.  So if the texture appliers are based in an outside server, and that server goes down, then in order to ensure I have every color I'd need to duplicate each mesh clothing item as many times as there are color options, then use style mode to apply those colors.  Which is tedious, but also since the items are no modify I can't add the color to the names.

It's probably not worth it, I might do this for whatever things are my favorites but not everything.  I can't resist free stuff though!

• Like 3

TMP has been in beta for 6 years. SIX. YEARS. and I'm trying to remember what the entire issue was years ago.. I think it had something to do with their scripter quitting, or leaving? And they haven't tried again. Regardless, few (if any) creators are making clothes for the TMP body and you would be much better off investing lindens in something that updates regularly and that clothing and appliers are made for across the grid by creators. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, MaggiJin said:

Honestly the best investment right now is one of the "core 3" (slink, maitreya, belleza) not going anywhere anytime soon.

shhh hint hint: read the recent mesh body addicts mini-survey to find out which of the "big three" got pushed out by one of the "lesser known ones" on place 3 ;-)

2 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

shhh hint hint: read the recent mesh body addicts mini-survey to find out which of the "big three" got pushed out by one of the "lesser known ones" on place 3 ;-)

i honestly don't really care. people are trying to skew the polls anyway. i've been spam im'd 3 times by people wanting me to vote for mesh bodies i don't even own.

• Like 3

On 3/17/2018 at 10:57 AM, Claireschen Hesten said:

Amen. If you were lucky enough to pick up the free TMP body before they launched their L$500 fire sale, then you can now pick up all the clothing for it for free. I have one alt who did so I stocked up for her. As the original poster said, it's good-quality clothing with auto alpha so it works great with the free TMP body.

Otherwise, I wouldn't touch TMP with a ten-foot pole. If I had to choose right now, I'd buy the Altamura Valentina avatar head and body for L$300 at the Skin Fair, most Maitreya clothing fits it well and the feet are compatible with Slink shoes. You can't beat that deal! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Oh wow, Tonic Fine. I wouldn't have predicted that.

I bet Altamura is selling a TON of their Valentina mesh head and body set at the Skin Fair. It would appear that they're not getting too much business by that mini-survey, though. It's tough to break into this market, Maitreya has such a stranglehold on it.

Edited by Vanity Fair

Yeah, they did some pretty smart move with the cheap bodies and the free ones in hunts and at newbie infohubs. That creates a market for cloth and once a market for cloth is established, other people will consider buying it as well.

Edited by Fionalein
rearranged words to clarify what I mean
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1823 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.