HUD not visible

kershe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1153 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a pair of shoes with a texture-change HUD, and after the first time I used the HUD, I can't see it any more.

I've tried attaching it to every point in the "Attach to HUD" menu, but I don't see even the smallest piece of it anywhere on my screen.

Do I have any hope of getting it back into view?

• Like 1

16 answers to this question

1 hour ago, kershe said:

I have a pair of shoes with a texture-change HUD, and after the first time I used the HUD, I can't see it any more.

I've tried attaching it to every point in the "Attach to HUD" menu, but I don't see even the smallest piece of it anywhere on my screen.

Do I have any hope of getting it back into view?

That happens sometimes. It's probably attached outside your field of view.  The cure is pretty simple.  If you have another HUD on your screen, select it (right-click), go into edit mode, and then scroll your mouse wheel out to shrink the view of your screen. You should see the errant HUD somewhere outside the screen outline.  When you do, just select it and drag it to wherever you want it.  When you leave edit mode, the HUD will stay in its new spot, and will assume that spot each time you attach it in the future.

It's always possible, of course, that the HUD is in your field of view but is rotated so you are seeing it edge on. If it's a skinny HUD, it could be really hard to spot. You could try highlighting transparent objects (CTRL + Alt + T). 

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just out of curiosity .... It sounds like you started this by selecting the HUD in your inventory and then using "Attach to HUD", instead of simply using the "Wear" or "Add" option.  Either of those last two would have reattached to HUD to exactly the same place it was when previously attached -- or where the designer intended it to attach.  If you screwed up by attaching it to some odd position (or maybe not as a HUD at all), all bets are off.  So, start over with a fresh copy of the HUD that you have never messed with.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Just out of curiosity .... It sounds like you started this by selecting the HUD in your inventory and then using "Attach to HUD", instead of simply using the "Wear" or "Add" option.  Either of those last two would have reattached to HUD to exactly the same place it was when previously attached -- or where the designer intended it to attach.  If you screwed up by attaching it to some odd position (or maybe not as a HUD at all), all bets are off.  So, start over with a fresh copy of the HUD that you have never messed with.

Is similar to what I tried to convey, yay!

• Like 1

Rolig mentioned the HUD rotation problem. I recently wanted to relocate a HUD so I could have it on screen with other HUD's while putting an outfit together. When I re-attached it to a new HUD attachment point it was invisible. The problem was/is the designer did not design the HUD using the correct face... so I had to rotate it to make it visible again. You may be having the same problem.

HUD's are almost always a cube, 6-faces. If you attach a cube as a HUD, it is the positive X-face that is turned toward you. Most designers make the other 5 faces clear. If you rez a HUD on the ground and cam around it you'll see the problem. From any angle other than in front of the +X-face the HUD is invisible. So, if the designer builds the HUD on any other face, it has to be rotated

You can rotate a HUD after you attach it. When it is invisible press Ctrl-Alt-T and it will show. Or as Rolig wrote, you may have to select another HUD, Edit, and scroll out to find it. Edit it and find the rotation controls. By default all values will be at zero. Try 90, 180, and 270 in the X-axis then Y-axis then the Z-axis. Return to zero before moving to the next axis. Once the HUD is visible, you may have to rotate on a second axis to get it right side up. It requires some trial and error.

In SL even professional modelers have problems with SL's X-Y-Z axis orientation. It's a bit odd. Then there are those that have yet to figure out how HUD's attach by default.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kershe said:

Unfortunately, neither solution worked. I  was pretty surprised because they sounded solid.

So, as @Monti Messmer suggested, I'm  going to look up the transaction number and the date and contact the maker, to see if she'll send  me a new item.

I must have messed up the HUD somehow, and moved it without meaning to.

When you attach the HUD, to any attachment point, if it shows as boldface in your inventory, it's attached...whether you can see it or not.  Here is another way to be sure you have selected it for editing.

1. BEFORE attaching the HUD, open your Edit window.  You can do this quickly by right clicking any object in view and selecting Edit.
  2. Now right click the HUD in your inventory and select ADD.  The HUD will attach to the last place it was attached to.  You may want to note this attachment point, it will be listed next to the item in your inventory.
  3. Now use your scroll wheel as previously suggested to zoom out beyond the edges of your screen.  Don't click your mouse though, you'll close the Edit window.  Even if you cannot see the HUD, you should see the editing position arrows somewhere, since the HUD is currently selected for editing.
  4. Drag the HUD to a place within your screen border
  5. If you still don't see it, it's facing the wrong way.  Hold CTRL and use the rotation positioning rings to spin it around, until it's properly positioned.
  • Like 2

Hey, so FINALLY!  Yes - you know what was holding me up? I was trying to do all this on a Mac without a mouse, and although there are probably adjustments I could have made, finally I grabbed my linux laptop, plugged in a scrolling mouse, and it worked.

I opened an edit window, then clicked on the sky so it wasn't editing anything. I attached the hud, but it didn't show up in the edit window, so I right-clicked on the item in inventory, and chose Edit. Then I rolled the scroll back, and there were the cross-hairs, way up high. I pulled it down, and yes, it was rotated and therefore invisible. So a few turns and it was good as new.

Thanks to EVERYONE who patiently replied to question!

• Like 4

Thanks, @Rolig Loon -- I'll give that a try. (I'll come back and say if it worked, but it sounds like it should.)

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You could try rezzing a new copy of the HUD, and attach using the default attach point - don’t choose one just “wear” it.

I'm going to try both methods, they both sound like winners. (Important to have alternatives!)  Thanks, @Love Zhaoying

• Like 1

Unfortunately, neither solution worked. I  was pretty surprised because they sounded solid.

So, as @Monti Messmer suggested, I'm  going to look up the transaction number and the date and contact the maker, to see if she'll send  me a new item.

I must have messed up the HUD somehow, and moved it without meaning to.

Honestly I don't know how I messed it up.  I don't usually do "attach to HUD" because it's inconvenient, and none of the attach points seem to be where I'd expect them to be. I usually "add" because "wear" often ends up knocking off my hair, one of my shoes, or one of my hands.

After I couldn't find the HUD, I tried attaching it to each of the HUD points in turn.

I appreciate the way you all came back to add comments, because it's more interesting and fun to work this out than to just get a new copy of the item.

I did find a funny workaround: if I rez the HUD on the ground, I can use it to change the color of my shoe.

I can cam all around it, but it's black on the sides and back. And it didn't show up with the Ctrl-Alt-T.  I'll keep looking at it.

Hi, @EvaMac!

There are a couple of possibilities.

The most likely is that you are in an area where scripts are turned off.  Change locations, or simply fly up to more than about 100m above ground level.

It's also possible that a crash has broken your HUD.  If you still have the original version, or a backup, try using that instead.  Otherwise, see if you can get a redelivery of the item from the in world store or Marketplace.

Finally, maybe you just aren't clicking on the active part of the HUD, or some other HUD (with maybe some invisible parts) is covering it.  Try moving the HUD to a different part of your screen.

I have recently run into a related issue.  My hud for a certain pair of shoes was off screen.  Putting it into edit from my inventory I could easily adjust the up/down (Blue) or side to side (Green) axis.  However when I took the hud out of edit it disappeared as if the hud had moved behind my camera's view.  I'm sure this is a computer resolution problem but I didn't know how to fix it. However, I finally realized if I put the hud in edit and selected my objects tab I could see the third (Red)axis and by increasing it's positive value I could bring it into view.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1153 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.