How to sell a service on the marketplace store?

Antieux

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2226 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, i wanted to incorporate a product to my marketplace store and list it as a service, but i don't know how to include, do i need to still add an in-world object to the list? or maybe there is another way to do it?

Edited by Antieux

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, Antieux said:

Hello, i wanted to incorporate a product to my marcketplace store and list it as a service, but i don't know how to include, do i need to still add an in-world object to the list? or maybe there is another way to do it?

Hello!

I am not really sure I understand what it is you are trying to do.  If you could reply and provide details about what it is you are wanting to do, either I or another merchant can help better with suggestions and advice. 

I would like to offer on the marketplace my photography service, i see that there is a category that listes services, and my question is if i need to get into the listing an item as i would do with any other object i would like to sell..or if there might be another way to sell my services on the marketplace

Edited by Antieux

• Antieux changed the title to How to sell a service on the marketplace store?

I don’t think there is a way to sell “Services” on the MP except for issuing something like physical “Vouchers” to the buyer. Then, the buyer would give the voucher back to you in trade for pictures. The problem there is, no way to guarantee you will do the work once paid (except reviews).

Anyone else agree/disagree? 

This may not line up with TOS, I have no idea.

Perhaps a MP entry for L$0 that sends the buyer example photos would be less “fishy”.

(Don’t listen to the crazy Lion!)

187C7C80-6C60-4817-8869-6891F623EBD2.jpeg

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I don’t think there is a way to sell “Services” on the MP except for issuing something like physical “Vouchers” to the buyer. Then, the buyer would give the voucher back to you in trade for pictures. The problem there is, no way to guarantee you will do the work once paid (except reviews).

Anyone else agree/disagree? 

This may not line up with TOS, I have no idea.

Perhaps a MP entry for L$0 that sends the buyer example photos would be less “fishy”.

(Don’t listen to the crazy Lion!)

187C7C80-6C60-4817-8869-6891F623EBD2.jpeg

thank you so much for the help! i consider that a sober statement also, shows people they can trust you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Antieux said:

I would like to offer on the marketplace my photography service, i see that there is a category that listes services, and my question is if i need to get into the listing an item as i would do with any other object i would like to sell..or if there might be another way to sell my services on the marketplace

Sell a package that contains only a notecard providing details - sell if for L$0.  Be sure the item description states very clearly that the user will only be getting a notecard providing the details of your services being offered, but that there are not actual services being sold for that L$0 amount.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• Moderators

Hi!

If you are selling an in world Service, such as Photography, you would create a notecard that contains all of the information regarding the particular package being offered, including the price, etc., and then send the Notecard to your Marketplace Listings through the viewer.

You would then create a Product Listing using the notecard as the actual "item". 

The listing price must be set to at least 50% of the cost of the Service. For example, if you charge 200L for a profile image, then the listing price must be set to at least 100L (50% of the cost of the service)

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines#non-item-listings

"Dispensing catalogs or information regarding a service without actually charging at least 50% of the value of that service."

In world Services cannot be set to 0L on the Marketplace. 

The buyer would then purchase the notecard and then contact you directly in world to set up a time for having the photos taken. 

You can see other listings in the Services Category for examples.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

9 minutes ago, Dakota Linden said:

Hi!

If you are selling an in world Service, such as Photography, you would create a notecard that contains all of the information regarding the particular package being offered, including the price, etc., and then send the Notecard to your Marketplace Listings through the viewer.

You would then create a Product Listing using the notecard as the actual "item". 

The listing price must be set to at least 50% of the cost of the Service. For example, if you charge 200L for a profile image, then the listing price must be set to at least 100L (50% of the cost of the service)

"Dispensing catalogs or information regarding a service without actually charging at least 50% of the value of that service."

The buyer would then purchase the notecard and then contact you directly in world to set up a time for having the photos taken. 

Kind of like RL, minimum 50% up front, 50% on delivery.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Kind of like RL, minimum 50% up front, 50% on delivery.

They want to ensure people are not using the marketplace as a means of free advertisement. So if I as a vendor was selling photography services and not doing it according to the TOS,  I would be able to get all of the upsides without having any of the negative costs associated with obtaining that business.

• Like 3

Just now, Chase01 said:

They want to ensure people are not using the marketplace as a means of free advertisement. So if I as a vendor was selling photography services and not doing it according to the TOS,  I would be able to get all of the upsides without having any of the negative costs associated with obtaining that business.

Yep, sounds like LL was smart on this one. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Talligurl said:

I have been considering this for my own store to offer custom portrait services. My idea was to offer a gift card for the amount of the portrait.

Greetings!

Gift cards work as well.  

There is a separate category on the Marketplace specifically for Gift Cards however, so your listing might not get as many views compared to the Services category. 

On 15/03/2018 at 4:00 PM, Dakota Linden said:

Hi!

I've seen so many 'land for rent' ads in marketplace, if I knew that it was against listing guides I'd have reported them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dakota Linden said:

There is a separate category on the Marketplace specifically for Gift Cards however, so your listing might not get as many views compared to the Services category. 

There isn't an actual "Gift Cards" category that I see.  The only place I could find where they might thus fit would be "Everything Else" or top level of "Miscellaneous".  Is there a Gift Card category somewhere that I'm not seeing?

image.png.86862d3bd767a2b52a90c0abfe05fa7b.png

48 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Now that is pretty obscure.  O.o

Reminds me of those “coupons for friends”. I wonder if you could sell vouchers for things such as “good for one hug”, “will complement your avatar”, “shopping trip together”, “makeover your avatar”, etc.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Reminds me of those “coupons for friends”. I wonder if you could sell vouchers for things such as “good for one hug”, “will complement your avatar”, “shopping trip together”, “makeover your avatar”, etc.

I am sure you could create Marketplace listings,, now as for making actual sales, IDK

• Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2226 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.