Display name issues

NetLittleangels04

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

You fix it by not using weird letters.  Use the regular font.  Crazy letters screw up the system, are hard to read, and universally disliked by DJs, club owners, and merchants.  Fortunately, the system rejects most of them and won;t let you save a Display name if if looks too crazy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NetLittleangels04 said:

ღℕ?? ℂ????????? ???????ღ

The name is too complex and being rejected. Which is probably a good thing as most people actually wouldn't see it (a lot of those characters end up as blocks on Linux, Mac and Windows 10)

Try writing it with normal letters, or if you must torture other people there is a notecard on the marketplace which lists the small number of fancy characters that do work and won't be truncated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

You fix it by not using weird letters.  Use the regular font.  Crazy letters screw up the system, are hard to read, and universally disliked by DJs, club owners, and merchants.  Fortunately, the system rejects most of them and won;t let you save a Display name if if looks too crazy.

This.

Also - if I cannot read your display name, I will then address you by your account name in all chats and IMs. Does that make sense, @NetLittleAngels04? :)

I can understand wanting to be different, I can understand wanting to look pretty. But in the end, when it actually can make it more difficult for others (or outright annoying, as you know some of these can do) then it's really just a selfish conceit, right? I mean, you're only doing it as some kind of show-off, like Peacock feathers. At least that's how I see weird fonts in Display Names. Hahaha

• Like 2

Fancy display of names is fun and seemingly popular. But, you've run into one of the problems of attempting it.

The answers here are from the practical people :P  If you don't mind pissing off some people, I say as if it is possible to be in SL and not to piss-off someone, then the fix is trial and error. Often a single character triggers the problem. Omit it and the others work. Sometimes it is the font. Occasionally it is the space-character in a font. Shifting case also adds complication. Try all upper or all lowercase.

You can test characters in a notecard. Any that display as a block will likely trigger the problem. But, it isn't certain. So, lots of trial and error.

And the practical people are right, the fancy names are a pain for anyone that wants to talk with you... or more importantly about you xD.

Вторая жизнь поддерживает простые символы.
Простой текст. Как и мое имя во второй жизни как пример
символов заклинаний Auster, разрешенных как> 亗 ღ
Если вы хотите сделать прекрасную вторую жизнь, это не позволит вам сделать это почти. Персонажи, выгравированные, нарисованные, вы можете написать что-то красивое!
но вы не увидите в качестве примера ღℕ?? ℂ????????? пример,
этот шрифт не поддерживает вторую жизнь. вы увидите только ღ N, как только это письмо будет правильно понято системой. Не пишите деликатные буквы, система не будет понимать этот шрифт. напишите, как я. этот шрифт пропускает вторую жизнь удачи . ps

You too can submit a ticket to correct your name, but! Your text Linden Lab will not change. they will write just plain text. if they will, you will change!
in my opinion it's easier to wait 7 days for a name change

Edited by spellbound Auster

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.