Does your Avatar have an Origin story?

Love Zhaoying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

..like a hero/villain story in a comic, movie, graphic novel, or fanfic? 

I guess I would have to steal mine from something like the Nekobe stories that inspired my Neko. Or perhaps, one day too much catnip and Bam! Neko lion!

Ideas: Good, helpful Forumites could have positive back stories. For instance, I see major mentors as MacGuyver-types..(forget MacGuyver’s never-ending search for his father). 

Negative, Rant-y Forumites could have negative, tragic origin stories. Such as, a terrible accident left them bitter, untrusting of technology and programmers, forever plotting against Linden Labs..

Vanity-types may perhaps be a newly evolving form of Avatar..always beautiful, always seeking beauty..

not yet.  She's still fairly new, in this incarnation.   I call her an Urban Dryad, but I'm still fleshing out what that means.  I think her backstory will unfold little by little.  I'm in no hurry to discover where's she's been, but rather where she's going. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Catrie said:

not yet.  She's still fairly new, in this incarnation.   I call her an Urban Dryad, but I'm still fleshing out what that means.  I think her backstory will unfold little by little.  I'm in no hurry to discover where's she's been, but rather where she's going. 

A Dryad is a type of Fairy, correct?

There's an origin story to why I look the way I do, and it's rather.. creepy.

About 5 years before SL was even thought of, I had a dream, and in this dream I looked like this; ginger and bearded.  There was quite a story in this dream: I was in the US and I was on the run for some reason, with a wife and two teenage kids. We were headed for the Canadian border, somehow knowing that once we crossed it we would be safe, from whatever or whoever was chasing us (I never did figure out that part).  We took shelter in a rusted old steam locomotive in the middle of nowhere, and I distinctly remember spreading a map out to check where we were.  When I woke up I looked at some maps of the US and figured out that we were in either North or South Dakota, and headed straight for Winnipeg.

This wasn't the only time I dreamed of myself as a ginger guy. Morpheus called it "residual self-image". So naturally when I started SL, I made myself ginger and bearded.

And then the creepy thing happened. I found The Far Away, and I nearly died of shock.  It was just like that dream from years before. 

5aa855837b274_FarAwayRevisited.png.91c89c1596c111b44204bc75255ed0f0.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Lewis Luminos said:

There's an origin story to why I look the way I do, and it's rather.. creepy.

About 5 years before SL was even thought of, I had a dream, and in this dream I looked like this; ginger and bearded.  There was quite a story in this dream: I was in the US and I was on the run for some reason, with a wife and two teenage kids. We were headed for the Canadian border, somehow knowing that once we crossed it we would be safe, from whatever or whoever was chasing us (I never did figure out that part).  We took shelter in a rusted old steam locomotive in the middle of nowhere, and I distinctly remember spreading a map out to check where we were.  When I woke up I looked at some maps of the US and figured out that we were in either North or South Dakota, and headed straight for Winnipeg.

This wasn't the only time I dreamed of myself as a ginger guy. Morpheus called it "residual self-image". So naturally when I started SL, I made myself ginger and bearded.

And then the creepy thing happened. I found The Far Away, and I nearly died of shock.  It was just like that dream from years before. 

5aa855837b274_FarAwayRevisited.png.91c89c1596c111b44204bc75255ed0f0.png

This is awesome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This is awesome!

The only disappointing part was when I found out that the Far Away is based on a real locomotive in a cornfield, but it's in Illinois, so it couldn't possibly be the same one as in my dream. And I know I am right about the location; that map was very vivid and clear.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

The only disappointing part was when I found out that the Far Away is based on a real locomotive in a cornfield, but it's in Illinois, so it couldn't possibly be the same one as in my dream. And I know I am right about the location; that map was very vivid and clear.

I dream things that happen, too.

Thanks for giving me the excuse to spell out Sagadin's tale (and avoid the other  things I really should be doing!). Here goes:

Sagadin is the only daughter of a Czech mother and Japanese father, although she grew up in the back rooms of a zen Buddhist temple in an abandoned steel mill just outside of Detroit, Michigan. Her parents met when her father was taken I'll while he was in the middle of a long walk -- as a part of his zen training he was attempting to walk from the Northernmost reaches of the Canadian Arctic to the southern tip of South America in Tierra del Fuego with no money and no English to help him. He had managed to survive the trek across Canada only to succumb to a strange illness as soon as he entered Michigan.

The woman who would become Saga's mom found him lying face down on the side of the road and over the next several weeks slowly nursed him back to health in her trailer. She was a refugee from Czechoslovakia, which she had left in the last dark days of the Communist regime because she was unable to find work as a mathematician. She had been resettled in Detroit along with a host of Polish, Romanian, and Ukrainian migrants in the great wave of Eastern Europeans who had fled as soon as the Berlin wall came down. They all survived by post-urban homesteading, growing veggies and raising a variety of livestock from llamas to chinchillas. At first Saga's mom thought the zen monk was a Lama, but she soon learned all about zen and became his first student, while he became her student in the ways of the world. Eventually the two of them decided it would be a good idea to open up a zen temple in Detroit. So they took up residence as squatters in an abandoned steel mill just outside of town and started a meditation group with the punks and anarchists who were the only remaining residents near the steel mill. They had all figured enlightnement must be a better deal than their own aimless lives and their community grew into a thriving outpost of the Soto zen tradition. 

Sagadin was born exactly nine months and three days after her mom had found her dad lying in the ditch. She had a happy childhood as she grew up learning the elaborate rituals of the zen temple, practicing Japanese swordplay, and helping tend the temple's vegetable garden and flock of llamas. After coming of age she left home to see the world, spending the next several years working on a series of ships that took her, finally to Tierra del Fuego. When she telegraphed her father from the remote village at the southern terminus of her father's fateful attempted journey, she learned that his illness had returned. So she walked back North to see him, only to arrive moments before he breathed his last breath two years later. Over the course of her journey back north she had resolved, albeit somewhat grudgingly, to return to life at the temple and become a zen priestess alongside her parents and the punk monks. And so she threw her self into life at the temple. But then one fine day she fell into a fissure that had opened up in the floor of her room and found herself in a parallel universe filled with griefers, furries, blogger barbies, men who looked like socks stuffed with walnuts and many, many other varieties of miscreants. At long last she had found a home!

Edited by Sagadin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sagadin said:

only daughter of a Czech mother and Japanese father, although she grew up in the back rooms of a zen Buddhist temple in an abandoned steel mill just outside of Detroit, Michigan.

Great story! I couldn’t help but think some part was written using a 20-sided die!

• Like 1

I never used to, but I noticed how often I'm asked if I am really Russian... Normally from Residents and not legacy accounts.  I've even received messages in cyrillic lettering.  When I've responded back with obvious confusion, they ask in English if I'm not really Russian... 

I finally decided to come up with a befitting background & slapped it on a tab about a week ago:

Ex-KGB agent, now wandering  the grid under an alias, carrying a small stash of stolen diamonds in her cleavage & a 9mm on her thigh.  

She walks with a slight limp from a roller skating accident that tore up her right knee, and has limited range of motion in her left shoulder after a scuffle which also earned her a scar on her cheek.  

The clutch of diamonds keeps her needs met money wise, but she's been known to frequent night clubs as a taxi dancer for fun & to encounter interesting characters.  She's not above pole dancing as well, but dislikes the inevitable lewd pick up lines that drift her way.  

Rarely seen without a tiara, let's just say she knows where the lost Romanov jewels are....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

well Anne Rice readers will know the origin of my name...

it was a nickname given to me back in 2000, when I turned my first  BF´s neck into a multicoloured mess from ear to collar on both sides (hickeys^^  we were just cuddling and I was suckling, no hot action or stuff it was kinda meditative tbh). Shortly after that  the novel was turned into a film and everybody and their mother asked if I was a fan of Aaliyah (whom I didn´t know before... not a fan of that kind of music ...). (While she was cast well I think she should have been put through makeup to palen her in the "more recent" scenes as even dark skinned vampires pale out a bit ;)

So yeah... and back in early 2007 we were to choose last names *HA!!!!!* Sternberg appealed to me because it is of german origin ... or well the words used are german xD Stern= star, Berg= mountain ;)

Funfact: a few years later I adopted the nickname GlamMetal, which is a reference to Placebo´s singer Brian Molko describing the band´s style back in the late 90s plus it combines my love for Glamrock and Metal (or Rock and Metal), black just makes colours pop, Glitter is nice, hypnotising, sparkly, .... you see the pattern? 

BTT: of course I was a good girl and displayed Kasha as a vampire with horrible fetish outfits....the common starter mistakes.... DAMN did I feel cool back then 

5aa8f495454f4_Akashaovertheyears.thumb.png.e5087441156b49374e39c0d6361e530b.png5aa8f396c63b4_KashaComparison.jpg.0ac9cb3d8bd2f5c9a51a6f14575b9f5e.jpg

her story... oh she has one:

Since she can remember Akasha´s always felt a little different. Not a saint but not a ***** either like most girls around her. Her soul is wild yet her standards are high. If she likes you ... you will have your craziest fantasies fulfilled - if not... she´ll play with your bones. Depending on her mood she is a full bread *****, a pure angel the next day.

She doesn´t remember much... only that she woke up in a dark alley ...near a tattoo shop. She had some plastic card in her body that said "Akasha Sternberg, January 12, 1982, female, Synonym: GlamMetal" when she was found near a tattoo shop. Her social rise in the little city was quick, she took over the tattoo shop, was nominated for one of the leading positions which she impersonated for several months. One day though was to change her life forever.She heard an explosion right behind her just when the pressure threw her onto the ground. When she looked back she saw her beloved tattoo parlor burning brightly. Now she was happy that she´d been in a hurry to leave to get home cos usually she stayed in late and ordered work stuff or cleaned again, just to make sure. She was a bit of a paranoid there. Akasha got back up onto her feet then started running for her life. Her first thought was to go home but when she turned around the corner to see the house she lived in she heard another explosion, flames breaking through the window of her appartment. She turned on her heel and left the town, knowing they´d kill her if she stayed and after all that violence and rapture she had been through she wasn´t too sad. During her journey she slept in open fields, sheds, trashbins, anywhere she would find a  corner that appeared kind of safe. Akasha bathed in running waters she would find and ate what she found on her way. Berries, corn, veggies that she stole from fields, or rests of meals that were not too rotten. All of a sudden the outlines of a city appeared in her view. She ran as fast as her sore feet would take her then dove into the next trash container to get rid of her torn clothes finding fresh ones. What would that city hold for her?

Edited by Akasha Sternberg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Akasha Sternberg said:

well Anne Rice readers will know the origin of my name...

it was a nickname given to me back in 2000, when I turned my first  BF´s neck into a multicoloured mess from ear to collar on both sides (hickeys^^  we were just cuddling and I was suckling, no hot action or stuff it was kinda meditative tbh). Shortly after that  the novel was turned into a film and everybody and their mother asked if I was a fan of Aaliyah (whom I didn´t know before... not a fan of that kind of music ...). (While she was cast well I think she should have been put through makeup to palen her in the "more recent" scenes as even dark skinned vampires pale out a bit ;)

So yeah... and back in early 2007 we were to choose last names *HA!!!!!* Sternberg appealed to me because it is of german origin ... or well the words used are german xD Stern= star, Berg= mountain ;)

Funfact: a few years later I adopted the nickname GlamMetal, which is a reference to Placebo´s singer Brian Molko describing the band´s style back in the late 90s plus it combines my love for Glamrock and Metal (or Rock and Metal), black just makes colours pop, Glitter is nice, hypnotising, sparkly, .... you see the pattern? 

BTT: of course I was a good girl and displayed Kasha as a vampire with horrible fetish outfits....the common starter mistakes.... DAMN did I feel cool back then 

5aa8f495454f4_Akashaovertheyears.thumb.png.e5087441156b49374e39c0d6361e530b.png5aa8f396c63b4_KashaComparison.jpg.0ac9cb3d8bd2f5c9a51a6f14575b9f5e.jpg

her story... oh she has one:

Since she can remember Akasha´s always felt a little different. Not a saint but not a ***** either like most girls around her. Her soul is wild yet her standards are high. If she likes you ... you will have your craziest fantasies fulfilled - if not... she´ll play with your bones. Depending on her mood she is a full bread *****, a pure angel the next day.

She doesn´t remember much... only that she woke up in a dark alley ...near a tattoo shop. She had some plastic card in her body that said "Akasha Sternberg, January 12, 1982, female, Synonym: GlamMetal" when she was found near a tattoo shop. Her social rise in the little city was quick, she took over the tattoo shop, was nominated for one of the leading positions which she impersonated for several months. One day though was to change her life forever.She heard an explosion right behind her just when the pressure threw her onto the ground. When she looked back she saw her beloved tattoo parlor burning brightly. Now she was happy that she´d been in a hurry to leave to get home cos usually she stayed in late and ordered work stuff or cleaned again, just to make sure. She was a bit of a paranoid there. Akasha got back up onto her feet then started running for her life. Her first thought was to go home but when she turned around the corner to see the house she lived in she heard another explosion, flames breaking through the window of her appartment. She turned on her heel and left the town, knowing they´d kill her if she stayed and after all that violence and rapture she had been through she wasn´t too sad. During her journey she slept in open fields, sheds, trashbins, anywhere she would find a  corner that appeared kind of safe. Akasha bathed in running waters she would find and ate what she found on her way. Berries, corn, veggies that she stole from fields, or rests of meals that were not too rotten. All of a sudden the outlines of a city appeared in her view. She ran as fast as her sore feet would take her then dove into the next trash container to get rid of her torn clothes finding fresh ones. What would that city hold for her?

Bravo! I even got excited during the last sequence!!

• Thanks 1

On 14/03/2018 at 9:44 AM, ChinRey said:

Four of my alts were originally characters in a novel I started writing. You don't want the details - there's a reason why I never finished it.

One of mine is too (although I did actually finish mine eventually)... and a few more of my alts subsequently became characters in another one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She was born in the swamp, her father was a moonshiner and an alligator hunter, her mother an Indian Princess. She early on showed a talent for art, but her Dad was against her doing anything other than staying in the swamp and helping him, her mother was afraid to say anything against him. Other family however were able to get her out ant to the University to study art, but there in the city she soon discovered, that strip clubs and brothels offered her a much more lucrative opportunity than art did. Eventually however she comes to the point where she would like to leave that past life behind and just be an artist. But breaking away from that past is hard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

She was born in the swamp, her father was a moonshiner and an alligator hunter, her mother an Indian Princess. She early on showed a talent for art, but her Dad was against her doing anything other than staying in the swamp and helping him, her mother was afraid to say anything against him. Other family however were able to get her out ant to the University to study art, but there in the city she soon discovered, that strip clubs and brothels offered her a much more lucrative opportunity than art did. Eventually however she comes to the point where she would like to leave that past life behind and just be an artist. But breaking away from that past is hard.

Thank god you didn’t have any kids or get forced into a loveless marriage!

• Like 1

On 3/14/2018 at 5:44 AM, ChinRey said:

Four of my alts were originally characters in a novel I started writing. You don't want the details - there's a reason why I never finished it.

Funny that! That's exactly what I have done! Dig that story up and finish it!

• Like 2

This sounds kinda meta, but I am writing a series of novels about my SL avatars who happen to live in a futuristic virtual world simulator, but their origins ARE SL. They are of course somewhat different than how you may perceive them now.

Ethnically speaking though, GoSpeed is a mix of 4 races: African, Carib native, Indian, and English.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, GoSpeed Racer said:

This sounds kinda meta, but I am writing a series of novels about my SL avatars who happen to live in a futuristic virtual world simulator, but their origins ARE SL. They are of course somewhat different than how you may perceive them now.

Ethnically speaking though, GoSpeed is a mix of 4 races: African, Carib native, Indian, and English.

Meta is great!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.