East River Community

daltonprock

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/18/2019 at 7:46 PM, Crim Mip said:

I and a group of friends have our home area along the Little East River. Nice area. I do wish a few landowners along the river would parcel their land so banlines didn't extend into the river, but I guess they can do what they want.

Oooh @Crim Mip  how is the community there?

To preserve a community like this on normal mainland that has no covenant means the people involved need to maintain ultra vigilant control of ownership of all land in and around their community.

- That makes them super insular, and near impossible to join up with.

Finding a plot for sale in East River is close to impossible. I have seen a few, but it's rare. They usually jump in and grab any plot that manages to 'escape' and over the years I think they own all or nearly all of the land there.

It's a great community for those in it... but the walls are pretty high and the gate is solid steel. It has to be... one parcel left on the market for any length of time and one of those land barons would swoop in and put a heart shaped icon on the map or some other atrocity... and the entire thing would collapse...

There are a few rental plots in there... but that's very different from actually being in the community...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

4 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

To preserve a community like this on normal mainland that has no covenant means the people involved need to maintain ultra vigilant control of ownership of all land in and around their community.

- That makes them super insular, and near impossible to join up with.

Finding a plot for sale in East River is close to impossible. I have seen a few, but it's rare. They usually jump in and grab any plot that manages to 'escape' and over the years I think they own all or nearly all of the land there.

It's a great community for those in it... but the walls are pretty high and the gate is solid steel. It has to be... one parcel left on the market for any length of time and one of those land barons would swoop in and put a heart shaped icon on the map or some other atrocity... and the entire thing would collapse...

There are a few rental plots in there... but that's very different from actually being in the community...

I used to think that was true, and generally it *is* true as I have found to my newbie sorrow.

But to my surprise, I stumbled on a community the other day - Therese showed it to me - run by an Italian gentleman which had plots openly for sale. And for a cheap price. And roadside. They must be mad!

I haven't found them to be at all insular. It is a shame after all this time they haven't expanded further and there are still a handful of parcel owners around them that just don't get what they are trying to create and have banlines up. But I can't see how they can be blamed for that, their resources are limited to those of their members. They might be able to create a better environment in combination, greater than the sum of their parts... but they can;t own more land than they have tier for.

I donate some tier to them without actually claiming any land as my own and also own a parcel up river near the Linden Village. So I have a vested interest in their success, because I can enjoy the waterways they control on my journey down to the sea of fables. I think their community is great and really adds to the enjoyment of the sea of fables and areas around them.

11 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

I haven't found them to be at all insular. It is a shame after all this time they haven't expanded further

You haven't found them to be insular but it's a shame they are insular?

I think you took what I was saying as if it was an insult, and so got defensive about it.

I'm just pointing out the nature of how one has to be to maintain a mainland community somewhere there isn't a covenant: you need to be very tight about who owns land in the space of that community - that by it's nature is an isolating characteristic. As you note yourself, some neighbors have reacted with hostility. I actually did not even know that... I find it illogical, but unsurprising.

Go and buy a plot of land right in the middle of their community without asking. Just buy one on an account nobody there knows the name of.
- the ease of doing that is what makes or breaks whether they are insular.

It's hard to "join" a community like that, because it has to be... or some land baron that rezzes heart icons on the map will take it over...

You won't hear much about them from the outside because basically the membership is set.

They were very smart to do what they did... it took a level of coordinating money and people that is basically unseen anywhere else in SL. If mainland had zoning making communities like theirs would be easy... but it doesn't. One single person in the ownership chain deciding to sell out to a land baron and the entire project could die.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

4 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

You haven't found them to be insular but it's a shame they are insular?

I think you took what I was saying as if it was an insult, and so got defensive about it.

<Snipped for brevity>

I don't think I was defensive because I took offence, rather I was just saying that I haven't found them insular.

They do have a charter that whilst it does go someway to protecting their interests in a similar way to the way you describe as being necessary. But on the other hand and based on the fact that what is necessary is really a given and a context, I disagree that that amounts to being insular. My experience and reaction is based on the fact that by simply donating my tier I have been offered input and votes in their decision making process that I have not bothered pursuing. I didn't have to jump through hoops or arrange for any advocates to support my application within the group to receive that offer. For me accepting their charter is a no-brainer, it is how I treat all my many mainland parcels across the grid. perhaps others have had resistance to applications to join, but that has not been my experience. Perhaps other landowners have found the contents of the Charter difficult to accept in someway.

But, in my experience I have found the group open and welcoming, not insular.

Edited by Aethelwine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.