Asking Mesh friend is racist or just negative discrimination?

Derekmate

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Derekmate said:

I don't want to copy here nothing but you all read it. People asking for friend but only if you are mesh. This maybe not full racist to you, but just  sub the word mesh to an ethnicity or religion. 

We see them also mention skin colour alongside mesh sometimes.  I mostly bite my tongue and keep scrolling... mostly

• Like 5

Well, mesh isn't a race, but I understand where you're going with it. Those people tend to state that they've put a lot into their avie and don't want to look at a sub par one (in their opinion). I'm like Cindy in that I usually just scroll on by if it's just the mesh thing mentioned. I can't get butthurt over every stupid thing people write. If someone is that picky about what sort of pixels they want to associate with, that's on them. There's too many real issues in the world to worry about, why create more?

• Like 10

I think it's just shallow.

Don't get me wrong, they can be as shallow as they want, it's their right, and I don't mind it personally. I just think they're missing out on people that might be totally up their alley, but just don't want a meshbody. Also, seen alot of people who put LOTS of care into their avatar without being full mesh. I mean, most of us did that a few years ago as well. :P

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

I think it's just shallow.

Don't get me wrong, they can be as shallow as they want, it's their right, and I don't mind it personally. I just think they're missing out on people that might be totally up their alley, but just don't want a meshbody. Also, seen alot of people who put LOTS of care into their avatar without being full mesh. I mean, most of us did that a few years ago as well. :P

Exactly

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Aislin Ceawlin said:

I think it's just shallow

I agree that it is shallow, however, mesh is so expensive that it can create a socioeconomic class separation as well.  Some of us are/were reluctant to spend the lindens to move to mesh and this causes issues when shopping or using certain sims with our mesh friends.  We need to respect an avatars decision to stay with a classic look, and instead look at the person inside the avatar.

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Jameson2001 said:

I agree that it is shallow, however, mesh is so expensive that it can create a socioeconomic class separation as well.  Some of us are/were reluctant to spend the lindens to move to mesh and this causes issues when shopping or using certain sims with our mesh friends.  We need to respect an avatars decision to stay with a classic look, and instead look at the person inside the avatar.

Yeah, I only friend people who are owning at least 1 fullprim region. Not that I own one myself, but anyhow...:SwingingFriends:

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Jameson2001 said:

I absolutely agree with the idea that people should be able to choose. These days though it is getting harder and harder to find items for classic avatar bodies so updating your classic becomes more problematic.

For those that WANT to move to a mesh avatar (or just body), money isn't really an issue any longer. eBody had two free bodies for gals (regular and curvy) ($1 linden each) and altamura has a full head and male body at their store in the teleporthub group vendor ($10 lindens) and frequently has female full body and head combos.  Sometimes the heads have been able to become invisible to use a classic or other brand of mesh head).  Anyone can spend a linden or ten even if that means going over to the Realms for a bit.

• Like 3

They are just shallow. Before mesh it was "beautiful avis only". People always like to segregate themselves into groups and cliques. Money can't buy taste and the same goes for SL, i always cringe when people wear the most basic things and call themselves queens of fashion and originality. Avoid them and move on.

Edited by Jeny Howlett
  • Like 8

Racism is pretty much someone being ignorant..It's usually someone lacking the knowledge or information about who they are referring to..

Stupidity on the other hand is, behavior that shows a lack of good sense or judgment.In other words,knowing better but doing it anyways.

• Like 5

I wouldn't call it racist, since 'mesh' isn't a race. There are very real problems of racism in the world, and 'mesh snobbery' is in no way comparable to them. However, I would regard the example given in the OP as a new and peculiar form of caste system, with - for the mesh snobs - the non-mesh people being the dalits, or 'untouchables'.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I wouldn't call it racist, since 'mesh' isn't a race. There are very real problems of racism in the world, and 'mesh snobbery' is in no way comparable to them. However, I would regard the example given in the OP as a new and peculiar form of caste system, with - for the mesh snobs - the non-mesh people being the dalits, or 'untouchables'.

Ooh! I’ll be a Hijra!

"

Racism is the belief in the superiority of one race over another, which often results in discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity. Today, the use of the term "racism" does not easily fall under a single definition.[1]

The ideology underlying racist practices often includes the idea that humans can be subdivided into distinct groups that are different due to their social behavior and their innate capacities as well as the idea that they can be ranked as inferior or superior."

18 minutes ago, Derekmate said:

"

Racism is the belief in the superiority of one race over another, which often results in discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity. Today, the use of the term "racism" does not easily fall under a single definition.[1]

The ideology underlying racist practices often includes the idea that humans can be subdivided into distinct groups that are different due to their social behavior and their innate capacities as well as the idea that they can be ranked as inferior or superior."

Rahman Hak-Hagir? I'll take the Oxford English Dictionary's definition of racism over that of a conceptual performance artist:

5aa835ae69bd9_definitionracism.PNG.6c8c96ee7e555d56a8ae5f676d6a0d3d.PNG

• Thanks 4

I wouldn't call it racism, since it's not connected to race or ethnicity (unless they are making racial assumptions based on use or non-use of mesh), but it's certainly classism; the belief being that only certain classes of people, in this case mesh-users, are superior enough to be worth their attention.

I saw this sort of thing a lot, growing up on a low-income housing estate in an otherwise-affluent English city. Didn't matter now nice, or how smart, or how good-looking you were. If you came from "the estate",  none of the rich kids would want to be friends with you.

Most people get over this by the time they leave school. It's sad to see it perpetuated here amongst adults.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 6

In some cases I can actually understand it. If you specifically are looking for a shopping buddy, and you are mesh and your to be buddy is not, its not a lot of fun shopping together. If your interest is a friend and hoping for eventually a relationship, well I am quite visually minded myself, and non mesh does not visually arouse me, no matter how much I like the person or how good she can role-play.

I don't think though those same people would not become friends if they randomly meet someone that is non mesh and they have a good click just because the other person is non mesh, I just think for certain goals and when putting out a "looking for" advertisement so to say, they will set their optimal specifics.

If I would look on a RL dating site I would also set certain threshold, for example brunette, slim, 5km radius of my home etc. Though if I would meet a girl in the pub that is curvy, blonde and lives 10km away and we click, i'm not sending her away just because she does not fit my dating site profile.

So don't overthink it. Its a looking for advertisement, its not discrimination, or elitism.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.