What is Your Wish List for SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Billy Daxter said:

Get the hardware up to the standard that they are running on open sim.  More memory and faster CPU's with more than one core

The old Class 7 series servers had 4 cores 6 or 7 years ago, Class 8 servers have 8 cores, current servers have ??? cores. Your demand for more than one core is a little bit late.

Even old video cards with 4gb GPU's sit idle because the viewer can't utilize the hardware.

Many people in SL DREAM of upgrading to an old 4 gb video card...

Upgrading SL to require a minimum spec of a 128 bit 10 ghz, 16 core Inhell-Inside Moronium processor, with a half terabyte graphics card, and the 10 petabyte SSD, with telepathy based Faster-than-light  Mega-Galactic interweb access, might suit you, but would tend to eliminate most ofthe people who's payments keep LL's electricity bills paid.

Take a look at Opensim and their 100,000 prim sim's for a good idea of where to start.

Opensim... Opensim is mostly empty... Ask your self why.

Kill off Sansar

Finally, you are on the right track.

Get some REAL product management for SL

And then you had to spoil it... There are two kinds of people in Corporate I.T., those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand.

Management is most of the problem.

Management says waste time meeting the "lick a linden club" on the Beta grid, and claim this is "involving the community",

Management says waste time implementing some dumb ass niche feature like Bake-Fail-on-Mesh, rather than fixing stuff, because implementing "Nu Hella Kewl" features is what makes good blog post headlines. The Recent "15 Reasons to Facepalm For SL15B" is a classic example.

8 hours ago, Billy Daxter said:

4.  Update Pricing to more closely match the market -  Currently for the money I spend for my two sims on Second Life I could have 64 Opensim sim's.  So instead of a tiny island I could have a small continent.  If the Lindens are worried this would crush the Linden economy then give us some pretty massive performance and capabilities in return. 

The Lindens have lowered some rates --- but maybe lowering the fees for islands would be nice.  They don't have to match up with Opensim, but maybe a $100 less would be great.

Also someone told me they would like to see the Linden staff visit in world more. Downside they could get hounded for support issues.  I had one in my club long ago and he PMed me he would like to stay and listen to the live performer I had that night, but was getting PMed like mad for support and needed to scoot off. I ended up saying in local chat to let him enjoy the music and go to the official support portal to lodge issues.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2018 at 9:20 PM, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

The Lindens have lowered some rates --- but maybe lowering the fees for islands would be nice.  They don't have to match up with Opensim, but maybe a $100 less would be great.

Also someone told me they would like to see the Linden staff visit in world more. Downside they could get hounded for support issues.  I had one in my club long ago and he PMed me he would like to stay and listen to the live performer I had that night, but was getting PMed like mad for support and needed to scoot off. I ended up saying in local chat to let him enjoy the music and go to the official support portal to lodge issues.

I agree on the lowering of prices.  The funny thing is some careful price lowering might actually stimulate growth.  Many sim owners if they had a better deal might be tempted to tack on an additional sim to their creation.  Land owners who rent whole sims might be tempted to take on some new sims to meet demand.  I'm glad to see them already taking steps to accomplish this on the Mainland and hope that it makes it to the Islands eventually.  

As for the Lindens when they are in world I saw this happen myself on my own island.  I actually sort of felt sorry for them trying to keep up with local chat with lots of people excited to see them.  Despite this they were amazingly polite and seemed to put in a huge effort to keep up with the local chat until they moved onto another sim.  

I wanted to clarify my original post as well.  This is my wish list.  Obviously the platform works and is healthy despite the minor hiccups that happen with any type of service.  There's always room for improvement and those were the things I certainly hope can be improved upon.  Second Life despite it's age is quite amazing and people are quite passionate about it. 

In regards to the Hardware specs that Klytna commented on.  I realize most people are using older systems to get onto SL.  This is a reality I deal with even with my sim's design trying not to create huge render lag.  There's no reason why both can't exist.  The settings allow users with older systems to dial back the eye candy so their systems can keep up.  What I'm hoping eventually happens is that support for higher end machines becomes a priority.  I'm quite fortunate and my machine that I access second life with has a graphics card with 11gb of video ram and lots of horsepower to go with that driving a 4k monitor.  It would be nice to be able to take more advantage of the additional hardware my machine has available.  While not everyone has a system that's powerful there are a lot of people with gaming PC's that have quite decent specs that they also use for second life.  Getting these people some additional performance using hardware that they already own would only improve things and perhaps get more engagement in the platform.  I understand of course there's a lot of legacy stuff in the viewer that prevent this and viewers like Black Dragon already exist so this may not be a priority.  It would really be nice though for sure.  A wish for the wish list.  

I do agree with Klytna though enforcing minimum specs would be a step in the wrong direction and possibly take Second Life away from engaged residents who don't have big bucks to spend on hardware.  I would certainly not want to enjoy a performance increase at the cost to someone else.  

As for Product Managers.  I deal with this perception a lot in my day job.  Product Managers fill a unique niche in many businesses.  Some are classical manager types that Klytna describes but others "speak both languages" with a technical understanding and an understanding of the business that drives success for customers and the company.  As well if there's a Linden Lab product manager out there steamed that I said "get REAL" Product Mangers my apologies.  As a user I have virtually no visibility into anything and that's just my perception.  I'm sure that things look very different behind the scenes.  

Edited by Billy Daxter

On 13/04/2018 at 8:25 PM, Klytyna said:

The old Class 7 series servers had 4 cores 6 or 7 years ago, Class 8 servers have 8 cores, current servers have ??? cores. Your demand for more than one core is a little bit late.

This isn't correct and stems from confusion over the terms simulator and region. A simulator (as defined by LL) is the physical server box in a rack someplace. A region is the is the land mass in Second Life ... that we have all be referring to incorrectly as a Sim since forever.

The old Class 7 Simulator would host 4 regions - one per core. The Class 8 Simulator would host 8 regions - one per core. If you look on LL's current documentation, each region runs on a single core and we have no idea how many cores or how much ram is on them .. assuming they have a modern datacenter, it going to be LOTS and WAY MORE than we think.

Multi-threading isn't a panacea and retro fitting it often moves or creates new bottlenecks without actually boosting performance in line with the additional raw resources.

Likewise, memory per region isn't and never was an issue, all those script counters.. pure snake oil resident invented witch hunt .. We have no idea how much ram a region has or how much is used (or even what percentage was devoted to what), the only thing that is certain is the numbers script counters used to show avatar memuse were years out of date and didn't factor in how the mono engine even worked.

Opensim... Opensim is mostly empty... Ask your self why.

And it doesn't scale .. If LL closed up shop noon on a Tuesday, we would DDos all the Opensim login servers by 2 minutes past and by the time it finally came back up, the bulk of SL users would have long moved on and lost interest.

Management says waste time implementing some dumb ass niche feature like Bake-Fail-on-Mesh, rather than fixing stuff, because implementing "Nu Hella Kewl" features is what makes good blog post headlines. The Recent "15 Reasons to Facepalm For SL15B" is a classic example.

The reason we haven't had many BIG headline features the last couple of years isn't just the Lab being distracted with Sansar, it's because the staff who remained working on SL were reworking the entire backend to slim regions down and offload as much as they could to HTTP. They have literally been fixing the bugs .. it's just not sexy, no one gets excited about inventory over HTTP or use of Amazon's CDN. The whole region in the cloud thing is a side effect of all this work.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2018 at 4:33 AM, Richardus Raymaker said:

xbox one controller support. That can make movement more smooth to, compsred with mouse.

My FS viewer sees my XBox controller... I haven't tried using it because I have a SpaceNavigator, which I really like.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.