What is Your Wish List for SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2177 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hm, since you don't seem to understand, let's take a page out of your playbook shall we?

During normal operation, the edit box does not reset its position once moved. If it is doing so, you are experiencing a bug and need to take the basic steps to resolve it. If those basic steps do not work, you report it through the proper channels.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2018 at 3:07 PM, Solar Legion said:

Hm, since you don't seem to understand, let's take a page out of your playbook shall we?

During normal operation, the edit box does not reset its position once moved. If it is doing so, you are experiencing a bug and need to take the basic steps to resolve it. If those basic steps do not work, you report it through the proper channels.

OMG, what's going on here? 9_9xD

You're still distracting, and still not getting the obvious -- I always marvel about this coming from those who claim to be scientists.

I edit houses all the time. Sometimes the box opens right over them, sometimes now, if you, know, I've pushed it away -- but the problem with this BUG is that it keeps coming back.

Look, I'll show you how ridiculous your claim was last time that because I overlapped the buttons, this "cause" the menu to open over the object.

Remember I said I'd now push the edit window not flush with the left, but up to the buttons so as not to overlap.

Then I waited -- a few more times, a few TPs to new sims, or a few new objects then walla, it opens over an object again, and not "there" where the window was by the buttons (which you claim is "what I'm doing" ) but in another place.

This is all pretty obvious.

THE EDIT BOX SHOULD NOT OPEN UP OVER THE OBJECT5ab14865257d6_slightlyin.thumb.jpg.3d86b577684cca76fef586e704ffb5a0.jpg

look at that.jpg

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

OMG, what's going on here? 9_9xD

NO, I CAN'T REPORT THE BUG ON THE JIRA BECAUSE I'M BANNED FROM THE JIRA. WHY? BECAUSE I CONTINUED TO RE-OPEN A REPORT ABOUT THE ABILITY TO RETURN OBJECTS SET TO SHARE WITH GROUP EVEN THOUGH THE GROUP HAD GROUP-SET RETURN TURNED OFF FOR ALL ROLES BUT OWNER AND OFFICER. IT WAS A BUG NOT A FEATURE THAT SOME LINDENS LOVED. 

• Haha 1

Oh for ...

So far you are the only one to report this bug. No one else has come forward to state that they see it either and no, it has nothing whatsoever to do with how often any given user edits objects, stop claiming otherwise.

These particular forum sections are meant for users to help other users - they are not meant to act as a "proper" bug reporting channel. If you are unable to use the proper channels (and those of us who were there know exactly why your access was revoked, stop trying to rewrite history) then you should be seeing if anyone would be willing to write up the bug report on your behalf.

That's it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Remember I said I'd now push the edit window not flush with the left, but up to the buttons so as not to overlap.

Then I waited -- a few more times, a few TPs to new sims, or a few new objects then walla, it opens over an object again

Five questions please Prok, 'cause what you show is just plain weird and not how I (or anyone I know) see it on the LL viewer... and I edit houses all the time too:

1. Do you run windowed mode or full screen mode?
  2. Do you ever change between windowed mode and full screen mode (alt-Enter, or through preferences)?
  3. If you run windowed do you ever change the size of the viewer?
  4. Do you have 1 or multiple monitors?
  5. If you have multiple monitors do you slide the viewer between both?

Sorry it's so many questions.

• Like 1

it's voila btw, from the French voilà and means roughly "see here" and you do actually pronounce the v, along the lines of vwah-lah - so it's a bit hard to misspell if you are saying ti correctly.

A walla on the other hand, is a word that derives from Hindi and means one employed in a particular occupation or activity, for example "a kitchen walla", or "a landscaping walla"

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow.  Just stumbled onto this treasure.  Where to start?  

1.  Sim Backend Hardware Refresh -  Get the hardware up to the standard that they are running on open sim.  More memory and faster CPU's with more than one core and get us some SSD's.  For what we are paying we deserve nothing less than the best hardware available and for that hardware to be regularly refreshed. While I know a lot of this is going to EC2 don't cheap out on the provisioning there either more memory more cores and more disk I/O.  PERIOD!  This also goes for all of the other services that SL provides such as login servers and other services that make the platform work.  

2.  Major viewer refresh -  The only decent viewer out there these days is Black Dragon to be quite honest and they are running into platform limitations with being able to improve further.  This is the major limitation of the platform.  Even old video cards with 4gb GPU's sit idle because the viewer can't utilize the hardware.  

3.  Update Limits to more modern standards - Many of the limits put into place were quite reasonable when things were put into place but letting them stagnate without revisiting these has only harmed the platform as a whole.  Change with the times rather than falling back to outdated limitations.  Take a look at Opensim and their 100,000 prim sim's for a good idea of where to start.

4.  Update Pricing to more closely match the market -  Currently for the money I spend for my two sims on Second Life I could have 64 Opensim sim's.  So instead of a tiny island I could have a small continent.  If the Lindens are worried this would crush the Linden economy then give us some pretty massive performance and capabilities in return.  

5. Kill off Sansar -  Too late to market, Still in it's infancy with competing products that are actually usable. Sansar is still relatively unknown in the market and you have a HUGE mountain to climb to even get it on the radar.  Put all these developers to work on your known platform that people actually use.  While yes Second Life will always have some Legacy Cruft involved due to it's age, it's a mature platform that does not have to suffer the way it does due to the neglect that it's seen.  And if you think that Second Life users are all going to one day "see the light" and throw away decades of their efforts in your old platform and move to the new one you are SADLY mistaken.  When we see you building a new platform on the backs of all of our efforts on SL and abandoning us by poorly maintaining SL all it accomplishes is to make us angry and abandon your company.  Why invest time in Sansar when it's going to be the next SL only to be abandoned when you build the Sansar replacement?

6. Get some REAL product management for SL.  As a creator and sim owner I see tons of threads about useless new features like animesh and bake on mesh that only add a tiny bit of functionality to the platform with what seems like a great deal of developer time behind it.  I see these pet projects developers are spending time on while ignoring bugs and issues that would actually help improve the platform as a whole.  You guys HAVE to prioritize where you are spending your developer resources.   I'm a PM IRL and you guys should be glad you don't work with me because I would require at least 5 major bug fixes for every single new feature I approved for release and even then I would require some real world use cases to justify your pet projects.  Stop chasing the new shiny and fix the bugs.  

7.  Get involved in the community again.  Meetings about feature releases are held on the beta grid and cryptically referenced in the forums.  In a "real company" you don't whisper in the elevator that you are going to have a meeting about something.  You put effort in to make sure people are aware of the meeting. It's painfully obvious you don't really want the community input.  Meetings like this should be held on the main grid and open to anyone.  Yes it's painful at times to get non technical input from the unwashed masses but that's what Product Managers are for.  

8.  Be realistic and honest with yourselves.  I see Linden's constantly seek the praise of users introducing niche features while ignoring real issues brought forward by other users.  It's really easy to get sucked into the praise you get by introducing new stuff is easier to deal with than "this is broken fix it" which often are big issues that will require lots of effort to fix and get no "you are wonderful and so smart" in return.  The problem of course is many of these big issues have the potential to kill the platform.  The exodus of users is slow but it's happening and they aren't migrating to Sansar.  

I admit none of these are easy.  Despite it's problems however there's nothing like Second Life out there.  It's simply an amazing platform that if someone actually invested a bit more time and effort in could still compete with the likes of Virtual Reality and all the new upstarts.  Despite the new technology and features what they don't have is the user base and the rich content that Second Life has.  The users created what makes Second Life special over decades of hard work.  What I see slowly happening is kind of tragic.  

Edited by Billy Daxter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2177 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.