Doing a research paper on second life sub cultures

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am writing a term paper on the subcultures that exist in second life. 

I want to represent as many types of people as I can.

Here are the questions i have:

1. How did you discover Second Life?

2. What was appealing about Second Life that kept you playing?

3. What groups are you involved in. (Specific groups and any information about why you enjoy these groups would be helpful)

4. Groups you do not agree with and why.

5. Your opinion on people who are against Second Life or believe it is detrimental to having a functioning real life.

6. Really anything else you think is important for me to know?

Thank you so much for helping me out.

How did I discover Second Life: This is actually a good question, and to be honest, I dont know the answer. I began playing second life 2 and a half years ago and just go hooked.

What was appealing about Second Life that kept you playing: So many things! I was so induced by the freedoms that you had, from Teleporting to clubs all the way to just the plain ability to fly. I just loved the freedom to meet new people also and get to know them

What groups are you involved in: I wish I knew what you meant by this question. Do you mean "literal groups"? I guess im in a couple of breedables groups since I own a farm lol.

Groups you do not agree with and why: Ooo Ooo! I know the answer! I dont join racist groups or advertising groups or music groups, mostly because I dont believe in anything behind them.

Your opinion on people who are against Second Life or believe it is detrimental to having a functioning real life: This question makes me mad everytime I hear it. I dont like people who think just because they are smart they have the ability to make other peoples choices for them. Most of my friends on Second Life are here because they cant function properly in Real life. By not functioning properly, I mean, they may have a disablity that limits what they can do in Real life. They use Second Life as a way to break free of the natural chains that are bound to them in Real life. Thats why I believe Second Life was created other than just a MMORPG game.

Not much more for you to know, Good luck with your Term paper :D

==Kolby==

It would be suitable to make online survey and paste link here. I am not sure how the answers should be returned to you.  I am also not sure if I understand well - are these final questions? If yes, you don't have important question about age or sex which usually in every survey. There should be also some questions with ready answers to choose (with place for individual answer as well) - otherwise the interpretation is hard.

Now might be a good time to note the following, while it's still a quiet sunday. :-)

"Similarly, some of the first educators and researchers in SL were a bit clumsy in their approach. There were early incidents in which Residents felt—rightly—that they were being spied upon or treated like guinea pigs rather than human beings. Imagine how you would feel if an entire class of students set up right next to your vacation hideaway, left trash lying around, logged your conversations, and posted them on the Internet with criticism and mean-spirited comments. This is exactly what happened to some early Residents. Things have improved greatly in the years since then, but sometimes SL Residents are still subject to that kind of inconsiderate behavior. For example, a constant stream of researchers (often students) posts on the Second Life official forums requesting that Residents please take their surveys. Most of these surveys include the same questions that have been asked over and over. Often they aren't spell-checked, or refer to SL as a game—a sure way to irritate a substantial number of Residents. Some Residents make a hobby of critiquing these surveys, pointing out how the questions and their wording make it clear that the researcher isn't familiar with Second Life. Some post outright that they are sick of badly planned surveys and suggest that the researchers log in and do their own research. "
From The Second Life Grid: The official guide ro commuinication, collaboration, and community engagement
by Kimberly Rufer-Bach
ISBN: 978-0-470-41291-6

Yikes. I don't mean to offend. I played SL for six years.

My paper is simply representing Second Life as a subculture that exists today. I don't wish to analyze anyone as a subject of some experiment but to understand residents outside of the groups that I participated in whilst playing. 

I will be sure to spell check my survey and make sure that the questions do not come off as offensive. 

Thank you for the heads up. 

Just a couple constructive criticisms of your SurveyMonkey survey:

1. There's really no need to know the avatar name of anyone completing your survey, and you may find that participation in it is less than you desire simply for your asking (not that someone can't just put "Nunya" in that field, but...);

2. Interesting choice of terms in the field for sexual orientation. You go from straight, as opposed to heterosexual, to _____sexual. This may reveal a bias, for lack of a better word, that you may wish to avoid the appearance of in your research.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.