Question on mesh hair

Love Zhaoying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Trying some old mesh hair with my first mesh head. Never tried before, but mesh hair can’t be repositioned?

One problem I can solve with a proper bald head: the mesh head’s hairline shows.

The other issue, I don’t see how to solve wirhout being able to reposition the hair: some of it pokes through my back. Guess I got used to that with the system body.

Teach me, sempai!

55D82358-AFCB-49EB-B2AA-44592C8A4CC4.jpeg

Hair is typically rigged to the head and the upper body, so it flexes with the body preventing any poke-through and therefore would never need to be repositioned. However some (usually short) hair packages also include an unrigged version which can be repositioned. It sounds like the hair you are trying is rigged to the head but not the body.

• Like 1

Mesh hair is usually rigged, just like replacement body parts, and thus can't be moved up or down or to the front or back. Rigging doesn't always prevent clipping, as you have noticed. 
You can either look for unrigged mesh hair, usually found among shorter cuts, or you can try a few shape edits and see if you get better results - for example, playing with the head stretch slider or reducing the overall head size.

As for your first problem with the hairline showing ... the large majority of mesh heads should have a HUD allowing you to turn off single elements like a hairbase or other make-up.>
If you mean that part of your mesh head scalp is showing, then there might also be some kind of "scalp alpha" to hide that part with the help of the HUD. LeLutka has it for sure, no idea about others.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Mesh hair is usually rigged, just like replacement body parts, and thus can't be moved up or down or to the front or back. Rigging doesn't always prevent clipping, as you have noticed. 
You can either look for unrigged mesh hair, usually found among shorter cuts, or you can try a few shape edits and see if you get better results - for example, playing with the head stretch slider or reducing the overall head size.

As for your first problem with the hairline showing ... the large majority of mesh heads should have a HUD allowing you to turn off single elements like a hairbase or other make-up.>
If you mean that part of your mesh head scalp is showing, then there might also be some kind of "scalp alpha" to hide that part with the help of the HUD. LeLutka has it for sure, no idea about others.

Thanks for your advice. This is longer hair (I always wear long hair as a “mane” for a Neko lion.)

I will try to find “unrigged” mesh I suppose, but it won’t surprise me if that is very difficult. I can also try some of my pre-mesh hair. In fact, I’ll probably get used to the clipping (on my back) pretty quickly.

This is a Catwa Head. I did not find the Control to turn off the hairline yet. I will also check for any scalp alphas that came with the head.

No, the rigging is to the system avatar's bones; the hair knows nothing about any mesh body parts you might be wearing. Of course if you are wearing non-human-shaped mesh parts, you're on your own! LOL

Edited by angeoco

On the Catwa Master HUD and the Hair and Beard one, you'll find some options to remove hair and scalp textures... on the upper right hand corner, there's a "clear" button, just below the x button.

The scalp alpha is on the Master HUD, "Alpha, lashes, Tint, Neck, Size" tab, in the "Show / Hide" box... try the icons with the black head silhouettes. 

Typically, rigged hair isn't rigged for any special head / body combo, but to the Bento bone structure itself.
I wouldn't recommend wearing unrigged long mesh hair, by the way... in the end, it'll be the same as the old flexi stuff, cutting straight into your body as it pleases.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

On the Catwa Master HUD and the Hair and Beard one, you'll find some options to remove hair and scalp textures... on the upper right hand corner, there's a "clear" button, just below the x button.

The scalp alpha is on the Master HUD, "Alpha, lashes, Tint, Neck, Size" tab, in the "Show / Hide" box... try the icons with the black head silhouettes. 

Typically, rigged hair isn't rigged for any special head / body combo, but to the Bento bone structure itself.
I wouldn't recommend wearing unrigged long mesh hair, by the way... in the end, it'll be the same as the old flexi stuff, cutting straight into your body as it pleases.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

One problem I can solve with a proper bald head: the mesh head’s hairline shows.

Since it's a Catwa head (and assuming it's a Catwa bento head) you can turn this off in either the Catwa Master HUD or the Hair and Beard HUD. Find the relevant tab for the hair and click 'clear' on that section. Be aware that - if it's a bento head - it will have upper and lower layers, so you may need to check/tick both 'upper' and 'lower' boxes and clear them individually. This is a screenshot showing clearing the lower hairbase on the Master HUD:

clearhairbase01.jpg.17f35195a3c474bce7ab4a37ca63ecd1.jpg

For more info and a tutorial covering the basics of Catwa bento mesh heads, I've got a blog post here that will hopefully be helpful.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The other issue, I don’t see how to solve wirhout being able to reposition the hair: some of it pokes through my back

If rigged long mesh hair is digging into your back between your shoulder blades, it's very likely that it was original made for female avatars. Try looking for long male or unisex styles. If you want one that's leonine, I'd suggest demoing some of Exile's long unisex hairstyles, such as 'Say It' (used in this pic), 'Future Outcasts' (used in this pic), and 'Blown Away' (used in this pic).

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Slightly off topic ... in a computer forum I'm reading, there's a guy who always has matching benchmark screenshots at hand if anyone asks about performance issues.

Looks like Skell does the same over here, just with styling tips. ^_^

I've been helping out in the Catwa support group for so long (and I'm now a CSR & moderator there) that I have a ready arsenal of useful screenshots ;)

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Since it's a Catwa head (and assuming it's a Catwa bento head) you can turn this off in either the Catwa Master HUD or the Hair and Beard HUD. Find the relevant tab for the hair and click 'clear' on that section. Be aware that - if it's a bento head - it will have upper and lower layers, so you may need to check/tick both 'upper' and 'lower' boxes and clear them individually. This is a screenshot showing clearing the lower hairbase on the Master HUD:

clearhairbase01.jpg.17f35195a3c474bce7ab4a37ca63ecd1.jpg

For more info and a tutorial covering the basics of Catwa bento mesh heads, I've got a blog post here that will hopefully be helpful.

If rigged long mesh hair is digging into your back between your shoulder blades, it's very likely that it was original made for female avatars. Try looking for long male or unisex styles. If you want one that's leonine, I'd suggest demoing some of Exile's long unisex hairstyles, such as 'Say It' (used in this pic), 'Future Outcasts' (used in this pic), and 'Blown Away' (used in this pic).

Thanks, just logged in to try and find the hud, etc.

12 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Try looking for long male or unisex styles. If you want one that's leonine, I'd suggest demoing some of Exile's long unisex hairstyles, such as 'Say It' (used in this pic), 'Future Outcasts' (used in this pic), and 'Blown Away' (used in this pic).

This would have been next in my search, “better hair!” So, you’re way ahead of me. It’s so tempting to go back to long, laggy, flexy, bouncy hair.

Any advice on which heads may have the least problem when you max out the eye size? On this Catwa, the lower lids get all smooshed and swollen (like my poor dog’s before his surgery).

Basically, I need really big eyes (not just the eyeballs). Lion=top predator = big eyes.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

And just what is wrong with a "fresh f*ck*ed" look?  :ph34r:

That would depend on whether it is a girl or a guy and how much you know what she has on her face.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.