Parcel Wind Light settings

JoeyWins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was wondering If anyone knew what the line would be I would have to enter in the Parcel's description for  a Day Cycle Preset?

I know how to set it for Sky and Water but have found anything for actual Day Cycle preset.  Example . I would like to make it WL Sky Day Cycle Based, WL Water [TOR] Waterslides and Day Cycle [NB]-MistyDay

Any help on this would be very much appreciated, Thanks

Firestorm's wiki has a good article explaining how to use parcel windlight: http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_windlight

Important: this does not work on all viewers, especially the Linden Lab viewer. Linden Lab is working on parcel windlight that works on all viewers. It isn't available yet but I recommend keeping note of this and switching to it when the time comes as it is more customisable and officially supported.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2018 at 6:49 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

Unfortunately Firestorm parcel windlight doesn't support day cycles, only fixed sky & water.

Does anyone know if there are any intentions on adding day cycles in the future?

• 1 year later...
On 3/9/2018 at 3:23 AM, Chaser Zaks said:

Firestorm's wiki has a good article explaining how to use parcel windlight: http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_windlight

Important: this does not work on all viewers, especially the Linden Lab viewer. Linden Lab is working on parcel windlight that works on all viewers. It isn't available yet but I recommend keeping note of this and switching to it when the time comes as it is more customisable and officially supported.

Hi, I've been trying to make parcel windlights work lately (because EEP has completely ruined my sim's wind light for the last 9 months or so), and I found this thread.  I'd just like to say that it *doesn't* work for me at all, and that the Firestorm wiki that everyone points to (above) doesn't actually help at all!  

It tells you how to set it, but it's pretty silent on what to do if it doesn't work, or what the settings in Firestorm are that allow you to see it.   

I've tried all the settings and checked my syntax a zillion times and it just doesn't work and there is *nothing* from Firestorm that I can find on what to do if it doesn't work or possible reasons why it doesn't work etc.  

It *does* work on other people's parcels in the same sim as me so ... WTF?

Edited by Sylvia Wasp

5 hours ago, Sylvia Wasp said:

the Firestorm wiki that everyone points to (above)

I only use Firestorm when absolutely necessary, so you may want to get proper help from their in-world support group chat, but I stopped by Sage and took a look and the only thing I saw that looked like a problem was square brackets around the setting name, which the wiki does warn against:

NOTE: The use of square brackets in the examples below indicates information is to be inserted. If they are not part of the windlight setting name, do not include them.

So I scampered over to a parcel I control and typed this into the parcel description field:

/* Windlight Sky: "AnaLutetia - AvatarOpt2 whiter" RegionOverride */

and it seemed to work for my alt using the latest Firestorm.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I only use Firestorm when absolutely necessary, so you may want to get proper help from their in-world support group chat, but I stopped by Sage and took a look and the only thing I saw that looked like a problem was square brackets around the setting name, which the wiki does warn against:

So I scampered over to a parcel I control and typed this into the parcel description field:

and it seemed to work for my alt using the latest Firestorm.

Thanks for making the effort Qie, but I'm no closer to finding out *why* it might not be working for me.  I followed the same instructions, checked the syntax a million times, etc. and it doesn't work for me on my own parcel.  

Yet, when I walk over to my neighbours parcel in the same sim, my windlights changes to her settings, (at least I'm assuming she uses parcel settings because the entire sim is a whiteout due to EEP otherwise) so obviously it should also work for mine.  

What I find missing in the Firestorm wiki on the subject is what settings in the viewer itself need to be ticked to make it all work.  Like these: (see attached) as well as the little environment settings popup on the lower righthand bar.  I'm assuming that the setting for my parcel is correct but I'm not seeing it because my Firestorm preferences are incorrect?  Maybe?  

There is also no information anywhere on the horror that is EEP (which is the reason I'm trying to do this in the first place) and how that may or may not interact with Firestorms Windlight and Parcel settings.  

As I said my sim has been borked by EEP (thanks Linden Labs!) for over nine months now with no word on when if ever it will be fixed or what to do about it.  It's difficult to troubleshoot a windlights problem when there is some un-named, un-known, and un-explainable "problem" with windlights settings in general.  Especially when Linden Labs won't even talk about it.  

Screenshot 2019-08-01 at 10.30.38 AM.png

Screenshot 2019-08-01 at 10.36.29 AM.png

1 hour ago, Sylvia Wasp said:

I'm assuming that the setting for my parcel is correct but I'm not seeing it because my Firestorm preferences are incorrect?  Maybe?  

Well, at the moment your parcel settings are not correct: I sent my alt back and he's not presented with the Windlight option on your parcel, and at least right now that's not surprising because the parcel description does include those square brackets that aren't supposed to be there.

It seems unlikely you'd have a viewer settings problem that only affects your ability to see the Windlight settings on your parcel, but work fine on the neighbour's parcel. (I guess that's especially true if you're using the very same parcel description on your parcel as they do on theirs.)

A Firestorm expert would probably tell you how to monitor your console log to see what the viewer fusses about when it tries to parse your parcel description.

And an expert on EEP would be able to tell you the current prospects for EEP, which will eventually supercede the Firestorm Windlight settings. (I have no idea when / if they'll quit working altogether in some future viewer release or if the Firestorm devs have figured out a way for both methods to coexist somehow).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.