MULTIPLE AVATARS

Vha2the Voom

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

THESE MAY BE TOS VIOLATION QUESTION, but for each question, there are tool sold in SL that allows these actions against the TOS.  So, if SL allows these tools sold, then it must be allowed.

!. How to find out if a person has multiple avatars and the names, other than asking them?

2. How do you find anyone anywhere (even out of range) without having their permission?  I know there are av finder gadgets, but what is the most effective one?

11 answers to this question

!. How to find out if a person has multiple avatars and the names, other than asking them?

You don't.  There's no way to tell, although there have been several very contraversial attempts to figure out by seeing if two or more avs are using the same IP address.  That approach can yield a ton of false positives, for obvious reasons.  (I still can't figure out why it's anyone's business whether I have an alt.)

2. How do you find anyone anywhere (even out of range) without having their permission?  I know there are av finder gadgets, but what is the most effective one?

You can't, unless the person is on your friends list and has checked the icon that allows you to track him/her.  There would be too many possibilities for stalking if LL allowed you to find anyone anywhere.  You can find out whether a person is on line -- a trivial exercise -- but not where the person is, thank goodness.

Probably not the answer you are hoping for, but:

1. Its none of your buisness - Basically everyone is entitled to their privacy and if they don`t want to tell you about other accounts they have it is their right. Certain gadgets that try (ineffectively) to link accounts through IP addresses when there is no proof that they are in fact alts of the same person, have been removed from sale by LL.

2. You cannot map someone without their permission & if you are referring to griefer tools such as bugs, I doubt you will find anyone on here that would "recommend" one even if we could.

Vha2the Voom wrote:

So, if SL allows these tools sold, then it must be allowed. 

That is a common misconception. You might as well say because dealers sell illegal drugs in RL, it must be allowed :) Some get away with selling things that are against the terms of service in SL. The reason is that Linden Lab don't actively police the SL grid and rely on the abuse reports of residents. If nobody reports it, no action is taken.

As for your question, there is no reliable way. You might as well ask people if they use alts and hope for a honest answer. There have been a few extremely unreliable spyware products that used an exploit to grab IP addresses, but they are no longer sold and the creator of the most popular product was banned.

• Like 2

Vha2the Voom wrote:

THESE MAY BE TOS VIOLATION QUESTION, but for each question, there are tool sold in SL that allows these actions against the TOS.  So, if SL allows these tools sold, then it must be allowed.

I have stalking tendencies too, BUT really and truly, why do you need to know this information? You don't.  Try and channel those stalking urges into something useful. That's my advice.

If you have found a product on marketplace or in world that you feel violates the Terms of Service, please do the responsible thing and report it. As Ishtara points out in her post, LL cannot police the entire grid, and do rely on us residents making them aware of violations.

If you want to give more information on why you might want to be able to suss out someone's alts, then I'm sure we will all gladly advise further.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.