voice/conference calls randomly end themselves?

realflow100

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

No reason that I can see why it happens. it just simply does.

even if both me and my friend are away from our computers and we come back. voice is "mysteriously" ended and im back in nearby chat

we could be in the middle of a sentence and it'd happen.

it happens randomly it doesnt matter what either of us are doing at the time.

also doesnt matter if we have many programs open besides SL. or none open except SL

my friend says it only happens with me and they've never had it happen with anyone else in the entire time they've played SL

we also have lots of voice issues of being unable to hear each other talk clearly. cutting in and out a lot. sometimes its perfect. other times its unbearable. with no reason behind it it just happens.

does anyone know why voice would randomly end like this for no reason. i dont have skype or discord open or anything. and neither does my friend. we both have really stable and fast internet and aren't lagging or anything.

4 answers to this question

Not really.   Voice has always been a flaky service, so this isn't surprising. 

Voice takes a certain amount of your bandwidth to operate, so it is potentially competing with parcel media and with your viewer too.  If you have set the Maximum Bandwidth setting in Preferences too high, and if you have limited bandwidth from your ISP, the viewer could be using up enough bandwidth to crowd out Vivox.  So, open Preferences >>> Network & Files and look at the Maximum Bandwidth slider.  Be sure that it is not set any higher than your actual service (WiFi, DSL, or Cable).  If it is, reset it.  Or, if you have been using WiFi, get rid of it and use a direct cable connection from your computer to your router so that you can keep the higher Max bandwidth setting.  See if that makes a difference.

Rolig is on the right track. But, there is more. The Max Bandwidth setting is for the server, not your viewer... well a bit for your viewer. The empirical best information is to set Max Bandwidth at 80% of your max download or 1500, whichever is smaller. This is the setting that gives the best general performance over the most connections. Start experimenting from there. You may find lower or higher settings work better for your connection. And that may change from day to day.

Having a good Internet Connection and lots of bandwidth is not the same as having a good connection to the SL servers and THEIR having lots of bandwidth available. Plus because of Voice, you have to deal with the Vivox servers. 

The problem is in the connection service. While it may not be at your end, it is the connection. After the recent DDoS attack that took SL and a number of big-name sites down one of the Lindens mentioned they are almost always fighting off a cyber attack of some kind. The same is true of Vivox. So, there is a lot going on that you cannot see and will likely never be informed of.

The thing is, there just isn't anything for you to fix. The viewer isn't broken. Vivox is not broken. We are just stuck dealing with the problems of cyber life. The Lindens and Vivox are constantly working to make things better. There is also a world of clowns working to make things worse.

Voice and viewers do break. So, troubleshoot your problems. Visit Voice Island and test your connection to SL and Vivox. Just remember the likely cause is not on your end and hold off doing drastic repairs on your computer that do nothing but waste time until you are certain you know the cause of the problem.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.