Jump to content
Misayame

Open Lecter to Linden Labs: the plague of AFK hangouts

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

I am still confused about what I am supposed to be jealous of. Can you please answer me?

Of the UNIQUE and TOTAL AWESOMENESS of her "PinkFuel on Duckwa" Designer Hooker Avi, and the size of her wad of L$ 50 bills stuffed in her fitmesh garter...

Oddly... The avi in her inworld profile pic, looks almost exactly like that of an old aquaintance, back in 2013, except my aquaintance had better hair.

EDIT: I found an old snap of my aquaintance in her 2013 system avi made from freebies!

5ac431556267a_SnapshotTheLatexWeb-Darkadia_201307110220_001.thumb.jpg.c386576e7ace3b33f71dea8744c986ce.jpg


 

Edited by Klytyna
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Klytyna said:

Of the UNIQUE and TOTAL AWESOMENESS of her "PinkFuel on Duckwa" Designer Hooker Avi, and the size of her wad of L$ 50 bills stuffed in her fitmesh garter...

Oddly... The avi in her inworld profile pic, looks almost exactly like that of an old aquaintance, back in 2013, except my aquaintance had better hair.
 

Wait a minute. I just checked and that's the kind of quality avatar she is talking about?

EjHAYK5.gif

Edit: Gosh I am so very jealous, my avatar can't even look at her 30k L$ goodness considering she's worth less than 8k L$ herself.

4xCddgE.png

Okay okay I'm done.

Edited by Syn Anatine
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lys1990 said:

You should refresh your English skills girl, and learn to read my posts. You said RLV is open source, which is wrong. RLV is the underlying system which accepts the commands. What you link and said is OpenCollar, which is NOT RLV. it's a Script that USES the RLV API of Viewers that support it. 

Big different. Remember: Reading Comprehension. 

I see we got us a snarky little colonizer here. You could use a lesson in manners.

Here is the source code for the backend side of RLV:

https://bitbucket.org/marinekelley/rlv/src

You didn't know the entire SL viewer itself is also open source? http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Second_Life_Viewer_Licensing_Program

A little note, RLV is a 2 to 3 side creature.

There is the backend open source in the viewer, there is the front end open source code for 'open collar' which is a set of scripts that make it work for an avatar with an attachment using those scripts, and SOMETIMES you can add a few more open source scripts to an object so that it becomes flagged for further RLV activity.
- That said I am new to RLV. I have spent most of my SL as a vocal detractor against it. But it really only took me about a day to learn how to mess with it and make it do what I wanted - since all the code is right out there for anyone to look at.

 

You keep referencing all of this in MMO terms... which is... peculiar.

I will start with mentioning a few places I get things from.

The monthly kinky event, millionheels, addams, underground, creative studio, salt & pepper, CBB,  asteria, [GUNSHOT], Moon Elixir, adoreZ, elagantia, dey banx
- that's maybe less than a third of my sources. It's just what I pulled from looking at the first few pages of my marketplace order history.

Oh and... there's ONLY 523 pages to the results of this search:

belleza harness

- While that doesn't filter quality... there are plenty of good items shown right in the first few pages. It is also only Harnesses. Not even yet looking at other items as well... You will likely now dismiss the entire list as "beneath your amazing standards as a person that makes $xL/month" without even looking... but that would simply be proof of your own arrogant foolishness.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lys1990 said:

This is in no way the standard price for shapes. Maybe for the hobbyists created ones, who have a marketplace to make a buck or two as a side business. 

The "professional" ones (often the same as the ones who sell heads, mesh bodies or skins) are around 500-ish:

Pink Fuel shapes for example, 

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/20845/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=GMA&search[keywords]=shape

And since we're at Pink Fuel, their skins:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/20845?utf8=✓&search[layout]=gallery&search[category_id]=&search[sort]=price_desc&search[per_page]=96&search[keywords]=skin&search[price_low]=&search[price_high]=&search[prim_count_low]=&search[prim_count_high]=&search[copy_permission]=0&search[modify_permission]=0&search[transfer_permission]=0

 

Pink Fuel? Oh, you're going for the nostalgia market. Now I understand...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Fionalein said:

...wait that's OK, but Gachas should be banned? See your own post below:

So it is OK for you to game one system but others should be not allowed to game on another? Because you say so?

You too should learn Reading Comprehension. Read, understand, reply. Gambling is illegal in over 80% of all countries and where it's allowed it's STRONGLY regulated. Gachas aren't regulated, they are random and in most cases manipulated. 

But obviously you should go back to school to learn the difference between illegal (=violates real world laws) and unwanted (people don't like it, but not forbidden by the law). 

9 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

I am still confused about what I am supposed to be jealous of. Can you please answer me?

I repeat: Reading Comprehension. Learn to read, then learn to understand the written one. THEN reply. Thanks., shoo back with you to the 5th grade. 

4 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

There is the backend open source in the viewer, there is the front end open source code for 'open collar' which is a set of scripts that make it work for an avatar with an attachment using those scripts, and SOMETIMES you can add a few more open source scripts to an object so that it becomes flagged for further RLV activity.
- That said I am new to RLV. I have spent most of my SL as a vocal detractor against it. But it really only took me about a day to learn how to mess with it and make it do what I wanted - since all the code is right out there for anyone to look at.

Congratulation, you successfully repeated what I did write dozens of posts ago and which is completely out of context. Girl, you should really head back to school and learn some English, before talking with adults here. 

Since you seems have to serious issues understanding the English language and what others are telling (or you're just  a troll who decides to ignore the argument and fails in pathetic attempts to make her invalid and wrong assumptions sound correct), I'll give you a little reminder. 

Your argument was that RLV is free because it's open source. Which is just plain wrong, since you were referring to OpenCollar and NOT RLV. But instead of admitting that you don't have the slightest idea of what you are talking about, you did a quick google search to try to prove the otherwise and you failed... miserably. 

I don't see how RLV base code being opensource helps you into a free open collar. 

 

Again girl, learn to read text, understand it and once you are certain you did understand it, then reply. Otherwise you just make yourself look like a troll. With OpenCollar being opensource it makes sense in the context you said, since opencollar is LSL scripts these can be used in Open Collar. The one you quickly did google about (and obviously didn't do any research on it in the first place) is just C++ code for the Viewer. This isn't in ANY WAY useful to operate an collar since you can't load it into inworld object which operate with LSL. 

Really pathetic to see people who claim to be SL veterans not knowing this difference. 

4 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

You keep referencing all of this in MMO terms... which is... peculiar.

Since it's one in a different shape, a subgenre of it called sandbox. And you seem not to understand English at all and what MMO means. It stands for "Massively Multiplayer Online" which is eractly what SL is. You again, confuse this with the term "MMORPG" which stands for "Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game".

Again: Reading Comprehension. Read, understand, reply. Remember it, makes you look less uneducated. 

4 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I will start with mentioning a few places I get things from.

The monthly kinky event, millionheels, addams, underground, creative studio, salt & pepper, CBB,  asteria, [GUNSHOT], Moon Elixir, adoreZ, elagantia, dey banx
- that's maybe less than a third of my sources. It's just what I pulled from looking at the first few pages of my marketplace order history.

You're pretty hilarious. How's Addams helping you be an AFK model? Addams is more of casual/athletic fashion vendor, it has nothing erotic, sexy or cute one that would help you getting more tips in an AFK place. It's a fine shop for casual wear for sure. But to make plenty of tips? Nope. Underground? Looks same for me, a bit more "sexy" but still for casual wear. "Creative Studio"? Still same. A mix of casual and summer wear. Nothing too arousing for an AFK/Sexplace/Poledance club.

Did looked at the rest, but if its as the stuff you liked, its likely not suitable for AFK models anyway. 

4 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Oh and... there's ONLY 523 pages to the results of this search:

belleza harness

But to use your own hilarious argument against you: Same search for "maitreya harness" results in 1039 pages, so I still win *eyes roll*  (Disclaimer: Neither I did take the time to watch through all of these as you obviously didn't neither ;))

Maitreya just has the better ecosystem. Like it or not. I'm not very happy about that neither, but that's how it is and it's a fact. You can argue as much as you want, but more and more fashion designers go to Maitreya exclusive. i.e. Dirty Princess used to support Slink Physique and others too, but the newer outfits are more and more just Maitreya exclusive. 

4 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

- While that doesn't filter quality... there are plenty of good items shown right in the first few pages. It is also only Harnesses. Not even yet looking at other items as well... You will likely now dismiss the entire list as "beneath your amazing standards as a person that makes $xL/month" without even looking... but that would simply be proof of your own arrogant foolishness.

Most of the results are not even related to the search term, just as a side note, so the pure number of pages or found results says nothing. Marketplace search sucks a know fact, still. 

 

You're yet to show me scripted strippable dresses/lingerie for Mesh bodies other than Maitreya. And I don't mean the "hid it completely one", but with multiple stages, like pushing it off a bit, then more and even more before finally removing it. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lys1990 said:

You too should learn Reading Comprehension. Read, understand, reply. Gambling is illegal in over 80% of all countries and where it's allowed it's STRONGLY regulated. Gachas aren't regulated, they are random and in most cases manipulated. 

But obviously you should go back to school to learn the difference between illegal (=violates real world laws) and unwanted (people don't like it, but not forbidden by the law). 

How stupid do you take the Lindens to be? They have a law department. If gacha would be illegal, they would have stopped it by now =^.^=

 

Brains are the most even distributed asset in whole humanity, no one ever complained they got to few of it yet =^.^=

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lys1990 said:

You're yet to show me scripted strippable dresses/lingerie for Mesh bodies other than Maitreya. And I don't mean the "hid it completely one", but with multiple stages, like pushing it off a bit, then more and even more before finally removing it. 

I wonder how many of your competitors put back on your pants while you were at it. Remember, it's clickable by everyone :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Lys1990 said:

I repeat: Reading Comprehension. Learn to read, then learn to understand the written one. THEN reply. Thanks., shoo back with you to the 5th grade.

Oh boy, we have an elitist here who has nothing better to do than feel all high and mighty for being better at the english language in comparison to someone who speaks it as a second language. Someone give her an award.

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

I wonder how many of your competitors put back on your pants while you were at it. Remember, it's clickable by everyone :P

It doesn't matter cause you can dress/undress it. Unlike RLV which can make you unsit or TP you away (which also logs you out of the tip jar), which really hurts your income. 

That's the whole point of these clothes and the attachment points are pretty big, so even the biggest SL noobs know how to use it. Putting a sign in your private room or a text over your head helps hint them for it and every time I'm there I put it in a suitable position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gachas are, not unlike lootboxes, not gambling, at least at this point. It might change given that there are commisions looking into it, but so far, they're not. The most common argument is since you don't lose, which is apperently a huge part in gambling, it doesn't fall into that category. 

As for the rest - I personally don't care for those places. I get their appeal, especially for rather shy people - it's just not for me.
I don't really see how they'd be the sole cause of Clubowners losing their customers, since I would have completely different expectations for both. In general, I'd expect a lot more overall entertainment from a stripclub, if that makes sense?
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

Gachas are, not unlike lootboxes, not gambling, at least at this point. It might change given that there are commisions looking into it, but so far, they're not. The most common argument is since you don't lose, which is apperently a huge part in gambling, it doesn't fall into that category. 

Of course it's gambling. The gaming machines were not regulated in SL neither, even when it was illegal by law for decades. It just took years until Linden Labs was forced to enforce this law (now called "Skilled Gaming", but its still gambling and only allowed to residents in countries and states which allow gambling and over a specific age). That doesn't mean it was legal before that. Same for banking in SL. Pretending to be a bank and operating a banking-similar business was illegal for the past 100 years or so. Still LL didn't do anything until they were forced.

So your argument is worth nothing. Just because didn't acted until now doesn't make it legal. 

It is gambling. You throw in a coin and get something RANDOM back where you. You have absolutely no influence on what you get. And of course you do lose on it. When you get the items you don't want or need, or already received 15 times, it's a loss. Most of the stuff that comes out of these machines is worth less than what you paid in

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still doesn't change the -fact- that it is not classified as gambling yet - in the real world. As I said; commisions are currently looking into the matter whether or not lootboxes, which operate on the same principle, should be considered gambling. Which would open up a can of worms of some sorts, since if lootboxes, gachas, TCG and even kindereggs operate on the same principle - you buy one and get a random prize. Why should LL ban something that is not illegal in the real world?

 

12 minutes ago, Lys1990 said:

It is gambling. You throw in a coin and get something RANDOM back where you. You have absolutely no influence on what you get. And of course you do lose on it. When you get the items you don't want or need, or already received 15 times, it's a loss. Most of the stuff that comes out of these machines is worth less than what you paid in

That is highly subjective. You may -feel- it to be a loss, but it's not, because you got SOMETHING out of it, even if you don't need that, or already have that. The same goes for the worth of the items. If you -feel- they're not worth it, that's okay, because you don't have to play them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

Still doesn't change the -fact- that it is not classified as gambling yet - in the real world. As I said; commisions are currently looking into the matter whether or not lootboxes, which operate on the same principle, should be considered gambling. Which would open up a can of worms of some sorts, since if lootboxes, gachas, TCG and even kindereggs operate on the same principle - you buy one and get a random prize. Why should LL ban something that is not illegal in the real world?

No, you are completely wrong. Gambling was always illegal, but that LL didn't regulated it before September 2014 doesn't mean it was LEGAL before. 

You too, need to learn AND understand English in order to discuss with others. LL just tolerated it because they were the one most profiting from it until they got successfully sued and forced to enforce it ingame too. But all this didn't make it legal before.

They only started to obey the law after the FBI did an investigation (source: https://techcrunch.com/2007/07/25/second-life-bans-gambling-following-fbi-investigation/). Same happened with the Ginko scam. LL knew about it, they choose to ignore it because they were one of the profiteer of it. 

Same for Gacha. LL was and is fully aware that it's gambling and illegal and chooses to ignore it, hence acting themselves illegally and violating the law. They do nothing because, once again, they profit from it and just wait until they are sued. But by the time they already made their millions. 

 

The very definition of Gambling is: 

Quote

Gambling is the wagering of money or something of value (referred to as "the stakes") on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning money or material goods. 

Let's see

  • "money or something of value" => L$
  • "on an event with unclear outcome" => Gacha machine, since it's unclear what you receive once you throw your coins
  • "with the primary intent of winning money or goods" => Items received from Gacha machines are goods. 

Or a more formal legal definition:

Quote

https://definitions.uslegal.com/g/gambling/

A person engages in gambling if he stakes or risks something of value upon the outcome of a contest of chance or a future contingent event not under his control or influence, upon an agreement or understanding that he or someone else will receive something of value in the event of a certain outcome.

  • "stakes or risks something of value" => L$, check
  • "upon the outcome of a contest of chance or a future contingent event not under his control or influence" => Gacha Machines, Random chance. Check
  • "upon an agreement or understanding that he or someone else will receive something of value in the event of a certain outcome" => The random item from the Gacha Machine

So all three criteria of the gambling definition are fulfilled. 

And definitions of other countries laws are pretty much the same. That being said, Gacha IS gambling. ad pedem litterae. 

3 hours ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

That is highly subjective. You may -feel- it to be a loss, but it's not, because you got SOMETHING out of it, even if you don't need that, or already have that. The same goes for the worth of the items. If you -feel- they're not worth it, that's okay, because you don't have to play them.

No, it's not subjective. Laws are VERY WELL defined, so is the definition of "gambling".

The only subjective things are people who do not understand English (or their own Language when reading their languages laws and gambling definitions) and do not posses the Reading Comprehension skill. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lys1990 said:

No, you are completely wrong. Gambling was always illegal, but that LL didn't regulated it before September 2014 doesn't mean it was LEGAL before. 

You too, need to learn AND understand English in order to discuss with others. LL just tolerated it because they were the one most profiting from it until they got successfully sued and forced to enforce it ingame too. But all this didn't make it legal before.

They only started to obey the law after the FBI did an investigation (source: https://techcrunch.com/2007/07/25/second-life-bans-gambling-following-fbi-investigation/). Same happened with the Ginko scam. LL knew about it, they choose to ignore it because they were one of the profiteer of it. 

Same for Gacha. LL was and is fully aware that it's gambling and illegal and chooses to ignore it, hence acting themselves illegally and violating the law. They do nothing because, once again, they profit from it and just wait until they are sued. But by the time they already made their millions. 

 

The very definition of Gambling is: 

Let's see

  • "money or something of value" => L$
  • "on an event with unclear outcome" => Gacha machine, since it's unclear what you receive once you throw your coins
  • "with the primary intent of winning money or goods" => Items received from Gacha machines are goods. 

Or a more formal legal definition:

  • "stakes or risks something of value" => L$, check
  • "upon the outcome of a contest of chance or a future contingent event not under his control or influence" => Gacha Machines, Random chance. Check
  • "upon an agreement or understanding that he or someone else will receive something of value in the event of a certain outcome" => The random item from the Gacha Machine

So all three criteria of the gambling definition are fulfilled. 

And definitions of other countries laws are pretty much the same. That being said, Gacha IS gambling. ad pedem litterae. 

No, it's not subjective. Laws are VERY WELL defined, so is the definition of "gambling".

The only subjective things are people who do not understand English (or their own Language when reading their languages laws and gambling definitions) and do not posses the Reading Comprehension skill. 

Except that those definitions also fit lotteries and raffles,  yet in RL those are legal in the US.   There are always exceptions to things.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lys1990 knows what she's talking about.  Most of you replying to her are misinformed.

I've been doing this for over a year now before it became popular.  It was less competitive back then, but now it's serious business.  Some of these places are making 10's of thousands of lindens per month.  They generate income from tips (10-30%), rental services, affiliates, and ad boards.

Your avatar has to look exceptional if you want to get thousands of lindens per week.  That means having almost everything she's listed.  I would argue that addons, such as spunklovers, deciduan, spankers, and so on, aren't really needed though (i only use deciduan so people can find me).  However, you do need high quality skin, hair, body, head, makeup, clothing, etc.  A lot of people always complimented my skin or shape, and even ask me where i got them.

You'll be lucky to make a hundred per week if you're using the crappy standard avatars.  If you don't put any effort into them, don't expect the tips to flow in.  The more effort you put into your avatar, the more you will make.  That's a fact.

If your avatar is high quality, you can make up to $5,000 per week.  I saw someone make $10,000 in one session before, but she was active with RP.  The trick is to get recurring customers.  However, the average is anywhere from $50, $100, or $200 per day though, and that's for high maintenance avatars.

It's like real life escorting.  The more effort you put into your appearance, the more you'll make.

I don't even do it anymore though, because i already have everything i need.  Whenever i'm short on cash though, i can hop on at anytime and make a couple hundred a day.  I could never do that with a standard avatar.  I'd have to wait weeks.  

Edited by femhalf
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Except that those definitions also fit lotteries and raffles,  yet in RL those are legal in the US.   There are always exceptions to things.

Wrong. Lotteries are regulated by the government (or in some countries the government has a monopoly on lotteries). To run a lottery, you need a license and a notary who will check that everything is going as its supposed to and not manipulated. 

Geez, it's scary how you people can survive in this world without even knowing the BASICS of the legal system of the country you live in. 

 

I don't know of a single person who has a legal license to operate Gachas in SL. There must be a public directory with real world regulation agencies and a list in which countries its allowed in and this must be enforced ingame, similar to the way "Skilled Gaming" was enforced. Everything else VIOLATES international law. When gambling is forbidden in a state, people from this state are not allowed to play Gacha.

No exceptions.

You have to make sure NO ONE from a country where its banned is allowed to access it and if you can't, then the you are not allowed to operate it at all. That's how law works

 

Same for Gambling and Banking operations, both now banned in SL if you can't provide a real-world license given by a real world agency responsible for it. Since no one did acquire a banking license (top expensive, to high security regulations) there are no banks in SL since they were banned.

And same must happen with Gacha. You can't provide a valid license to operate your Gacha world wide? Make sure you only allow people from a specific country you have license for can play it. Can't do that via LSL? Too bad, look for a LEGAL business model or beg Lindens to add it (which is unlikely, since that would violate the data privacy laws to give such information about the users to the residents accessible by everyone)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, femhalf said:

Lys1990 knows what she's talking about.  Most of you replying to her are misinformed.

I've been doing this for over a year now before it became popular.  It was less competitive back then, but now it's serious business.  Some of these places are making 10's of thousands of lindens per month.  They generate income from tips (10-30%), rental services, affiliates, and ad boards.

No one ever doubted you can make Lindens there ... we just doubted her "I don't care what it costs" prize tag for outfit, those can be had way cheaper but that needs some smart shopping skills =^.^=

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think anybody’s doubting her. 

It is what it is. I just think it’s more to it than leaving your pc on while you’re at work. I also think it’s more to it than having an avatar that would appeal to guys. I’ve popped into a few of these places and none of the girls had any tips. 

Again, I’m not doubting the numbers, I just feel like they are the exception.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Misayme

it is all a matter of demand.

If there are people  visiting those places and they do comply with the TOS and the law, there is no reason to prohibit them. 
In fact some of the AFK places are actually in the top ten of all adult places.

You are competing with them for traffic? Well, think about how you can make your place more intersting and /or how to better advertise it.

You might find this interview with an owner of such a place interesting:
http://jessicainsecondlife.com/2018/04/02/researching-the-…-faith-jolifaunt/

 

Edited by carolinestravels
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The comments about Gacha machines being gambling make me wonder, how do they compare to the coin-operated vending machines found outside of many supermarkets and other locations? Those are full of little plastic capsules which contain different toys. You put a coin in, turn the handle, and one of the capsules falls out. You have no control over which toy you will get for your money. That sounds to me pretty much how the Gacha machines work - put in your Lindens, get out a randomly selected item. But as far as I know, you *always(* get an item. Unlike placing a bet at, say, a roulette wheel, where you could lose all the money and get nothing back. (Except for the fun of watching the little ball go round and round, of course....)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spin Barbosa said:

The comments about Gacha machines being gambling make me wonder, how do they compare to the coin-operated vending machines found outside of many supermarkets and other locations? Those are full of little plastic capsules which contain different toys. You put a coin in, turn the handle, and one of the capsules falls out. You have no control over which toy you will get for your money. That sounds to me pretty much how the Gacha machines work - put in your Lindens, get out a randomly selected item. But as far as I know, you *always(* get an item. Unlike placing a bet at, say, a roulette wheel, where you could lose all the money and get nothing back. (Except for the fun of watching the little ball go round and round, of course....)

Read this post here

It's pretty well defined what gamble is. And it has nothing to do with winning or losing. Most important part is: 

Quote

https://definitions.uslegal.com/g/gambling/

A person engages in gambling if he stakes or risks something of value upon the outcome of a contest of chance or a future contingent event not under his control or influence, upon an agreement or understanding that he or someone else will receive something of value in the event of a certain outcome.

All three criteria are fulfilled.

  • Risks of something of value
  • Contest of chance
  • receive something of value in the event event of a certain outcome (either getting or not getting the desired item)

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. I read it. That's my point. According to this definition, it looks like the coin-operated toy machines are gambling. Also gumball machines, if you want to include color of the gumball dispensed by the machine as a factor. Personally, I never cared because the gumball didn't last long enough for me to notice. But I suppose some people may be bothered if they spent a penny and got a red gumball when they wanted a white one. Just like dropping L$50 on a Gacha machine and getting a red hat when they wanted a white one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Spin Barbosa said:

Yes. I read it. That's my point. According to this definition, it looks like the coin-operated toy machines are gambling.

 

40 minutes ago, Spin Barbosa said:

Also gumball machines, if you want to include color of the gumball dispensed by the machine as a factor.

Wouldn't go that far. Gumballs are consumables, food. Same for Kindereggs. You don't primary pay for the content of the egg, but for the chocolate (=food). The surprise inside is, is just a bonus. 

Gachas are different in that they return collectibles which are to be considered something of value (food has some value too, but once consumed, its gone). But one of the important aspects is, that Gachas don't protect against abuse.

Gachas would be fine if

a) If they got a real world license to operate this kind business
b) they can ensure only legit persons (from countries that allow gambling) are allowed to use them (real world verified persons from countries that allow gambling and which have reached the necessary legal age). Users from countries that forbid gambling can't use it, no matter their age
c) there's guaranteed chances. (see below)

Many of the Gacha machines are just manipulated, to disguise the real chances. There are plenty of tricks the participating vendors utilize to get as much money from the unknowingly users as possible. 

The most popular is to have 30+ items in the machine with just 1 or 2 rares. For a regular resident its not obvious how high the chance for a specific item is, as certain variables are unknown, for example what's the chance of a common or a rare? If all items would have the same chance then there would be no rares and no commons. Second the number of results in relation the other items is necessary to calculate the chance, but since we don't know the chances of rare vs common, it can't be calculated.

But even if it would be known, only few residents would know how to perform these calculations, and not explicitly stating them on each single item would (and is) deceptive. 

Last but not least, I saw many vendors who list every single color as separate item, but they hide the usual "numbers". So  that for someone looking at the picture it seems like the 4-5 colors are received together rather than separately, confusing the people even further into keep throwing coins. After all when they notice this after wasting 250 L$, they'll be more in the desire of throwing more coins in to get the thing they wanted so they didn't waste the 250 L$. 

It's about playing the peoples addictions (and the way the brain rewards our actions) to exploit it for maximum profit. And thats illegal in most countries, especially when done in a way the Gacha, Casinos or Lootboxes are done.  

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...