Profile Pic

N3r1da

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello . I am new to the SL world and i am having a problem with my profile pic.I upload my prof pic and set it but if i log out i lose it and i have to uploaded again..Am i doing anything wrong?Do i have to pay 10L in order to be forever there?

4 minutes ago, N3r1da said:

Hello . I am new to the SL world and i am having a problem with my profile pic.I upload my prof pic and set it but if i log out i lose it and i have to uploaded again..Am i doing anything wrong?Do i have to pay 10L in order to be forever there?

Yes, for any texture to remain in SL, you need to pay the 10L upload fee.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, N3r1da said:

Just go to my.secondlife and use settings. Here you can change the profile picture, and no need to pay for that. 

https://my.secondlife.com/settings/profile

Edited by AnnistynSL
  • Like 3

NOTE: If you upload a profile picture via the my.secondlife.com page: it will be squeezed into a square shape and shrunk (or stretched) to 512x512 pixels. For this reason, some feel the 10L upload fee is reasonable because setting your profile picture inside the viewer allows better quality. The website will STILL squish and shrink, but at least the in-word version will look great.

Just wanted to mention this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you login on the SL web page  and go to to my Second Life you can upload it from your computer for free. I highlighted what to do in blue. You will see there a record of when I changed my profile pic yesterday numerous times with ones I had saved on my computer until I liked one.

Screen-Shot-2018-03-08-at-8.28.40-pm.jpg

Screen-Shot-2018-03-08-at-8.28.05-pm.jpg

Edited by chardonay Babii
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2018 at 11:14 AM, Alyona Su said:

NOTE: If you upload a profile picture via the my.secondlife.com page: it will be squeezed into a square shape and shrunk (or stretched) to 512x512 pixels. For this reason, some feel the 10L upload fee is reasonable because setting your profile picture inside the viewer allows better quality. The website will STILL squish and shrink, but at least the in-word version will look great.

Just wanted to mention this.

Okay- I have wondered for YEARS why some people have teensy tiny little profile photos when you click them to try to see them better because they're blurry.  I never knew this!   Thank you!

32 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

Okay- I have wondered for YEARS why some people have teensy tiny little profile photos when you click them to try to see them better because they're blurry.  I never knew this!   Thank you!

Haha, yes. This is exactly the reason for that. :)

On 3/8/2018 at 11:10 AM, Karina Leborski said:

I managed to update my inworld profile pic for free...twice. I remember in the past I needed to pay 10L...apparently, not anymore.

The 10L charge is actually for every picture/texture upload.  If you already have something inworld that you want to change to, it doesn't cost anything to do the change.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2018 at 9:14 AM, Alyona Su said:

I use square pictures for my profile for this reason. If a third party viewer is then choosing the stretch it sideways... that's on that viewer, even if it does happen to be the one I use. The default norm now is a square (and actually has been now for about half of SLs lifespan).

I consider it a 'bug' that Firestorm hasn't updated this. Even if their 'excuse' is that they're just allowing access to the legacy profile - by doing so the bug is not fixing it to use the modern aspect ratio for profile images.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

If you're loading the profile pic inworld, take the pic in 3:4 format, save to disk, then in Photoshop squash it to square and save it at 512x512 pixels to upload as a texture. When you load the texture as your profile pic it will be stretched back to 3:4 format - this gives the sharpest picture in the right proportions.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.