Spinell

Advice on Mesh Heads

Hello everyone,

I'm here looking for some advice from the fanshion-savvy. I've been thinking of getting myself a mesh head, mostly because of the expressions you can get with such modeling. I also use my own avatar for as a model for my creations, so I'd like her to look a bit nicer than she is right now.

Before I invest an awful lot of money on this, I want to find out which head would be the most appropriate for my look. I go for a very natural beauty, ephemeral look, cutee young and innocent. My real-life model is Kiyohari, you'll be able to find some pictures of here quite easily. I'm not a fan of the "frown face" look so I'd like to avoid mesh heads who favor it.

Let me know your opinions on the matter. All your advice is very much appreciated.

In terms of options, there are plenty. If you want a head that is going to give you access to the most content and has some of the best animations, you really only have one choice and that is Catwa. I own multiple heads from various brands and the only thing that comes close is Lelutka, and even that head is limited in terms of content in comparison.

7 hours ago, janetosilio said:

The new generation of catwa heads have a very youthful appearance.

How can I find out what's this new generation? Would you mind giving me the names of some of the heads?

I'll also check out Lelutka, never heard of it.

I was under the impression that Catwa was very mature and sexy which is not what I'm looking for.

What about skins and makeup? They have to be specific for the mesh head right? Are there many creators making skins for Catwa and Lelutka?

Check out the Jenna by Daddy's Choice Design. It comes with Omega already installed. It's a bit basic but works well with 3rd party expression huds. It run 699L so is basic. 

Basically, demos are your best friend. Hit all the main places and get the demos and try and find what  you like. Do be sure it's Omega compatible. So Catwa, Lelutka, LOGO, Mayreal, Jenna, Vista, LAQ, and Tonic is releasing one at the Skin Fair, though I don't know the price ATM. You might want to wait,if you can, until the fair as others may be releasing  There are other heads but those are the most popular. Just remember Omega

2 hours ago, Bobbie Faulds said:

Check out the Jenna by Daddy's Choice Design. It comes with Omega already installed. It's a bit basic but works well with 3rd party expression huds. It run 699L so is basic. 

Basically, demos are your best friend. Hit all the main places and get the demos and try and find what  you like. Do be sure it's Omega compatible. So Catwa, Lelutka, LOGO, Mayreal, Jenna, Vista, LAQ, and Tonic is releasing one at the Skin Fair, though I don't know the price ATM. You might want to wait,if you can, until the fair as others may be releasing  There are other heads but those are the most popular. Just remember Omega

Sorry, that got me a little bit confused. Omega are appliers, right? I would still need to purchase a mesh head. Or does Omega also come with its own head?

From what I can find, omega is an applier but works with different brands of mesh head?

Your head is one purchase; the Omega installer/relay is a separate purchase (unless it is already installed in the head).

Omega is a compatibility system that allows you to apply any Omega skin/makeup/tattoo/etc to any Omega-compatible head/body. Some heads come with Omega built-in; for some you buy an installer to install Omega in the head; for others you buy an Omega Relay, a HUD which you attach when you want to apply an Omega skin/makeup; and others don't support Omega at all. An Omega installer or relay for a single brand of head/body typically costs 99 L$, or 50 L$ inworld for group members.

In my profile picture here I'm wearing the Normie head from Utilizator, which has Omega built-in.

Edited by angeoco

Only you can decide which head you like best! I'd demo, demo and more demo! Each head has its own unique look and shape possibilities, its own pluses and minuses, its own HUD and customization possibilities and limitations. It takes time and patience, but unless you have bottomless pockets, I'd recommend taking it slowly.

There's Catwa, Lelutka, Genesis, Altamura, GA.EG and more. I personally like GA.EG, but that's me. One other possibility is to wander around in-world and see what people are wearing to get a sense of what you like. You can pick up a HUD like "What is she wearing?" (there's a couple with names like that and they are pretty cheap -- check the MP) and scan around and then cam over to people to see what they look like with the head they have! Or you can just ask ;)

ETA: oh and bento heads can be edited to change their shape, but each one has limits there too. You should be able to play around with the shape sliders for demos -- they each come with a default shape that can be altered....

Edited by Sagadin

I see, this is some great advice guys.

It does seem quite an advantage to buy something that's omega compatible.

and thank you for the comprehensive list of brands. I now have some orientation around this. I'll having a look at the brands and picking up some demos I might like.

and I'll check out the fair too!

8 hours ago, Spinell said:

How can I find out what's this new generation? Would you mind giving me the names of some of the heads?

I know the one I’m wearing, Pink, is a newer head. All of the ones from Pink onward share the large eyed, smaller mouth characteristics. If you stop by the store, they’re all grouped together.

2 hours ago, janetosilio said:

I know the one I’m wearing, Pink, is a newer head. All of the ones from Pink onward share the large eyed, smaller mouth characteristics. If you stop by the store, they’re all grouped together.

Oh thanks for the tip! Very handy.

I'm rather partial to the brand Mayreal.

Everything the other brands have, but a basic form that is closer to a 'fixed version' of the SL classic head so your old 'look' can be recreated with ease, and under half the price of most of the other brands:

Mayreal heads

I highly recommend trying out the Mayreal demos before dumping a lot of money on one of the overpriced brands.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap