Second life with a GTX 1080 card?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1912 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i got a GTX 1050 and sl seems fine for me with a 128 draw distance, advanced lighting and no shadows. i get better fps with advanced lighting off and a 98 DD. so it just all depends on what you can live with graphics wise. I say if you don't mind not seeing 1024 meters away and have no shadow i say go for the 1080 if you can afford it, i know the 1080 supports VR headsets so kinda worth it.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cykarushb said:

Try not to necrobump, start new threads in the future. Im not sure how you found this considering it was from march of last year.

I'm really sorry about causing a "necrobump" but I guessed it would have been silly opening a new thread with the same topic that is still interesting for many players and I want to say thanks to all of you for giving me some advices.

My needing is related to my flight activity ✈️ using commercial airplanes (website and youtube clip in my profile details), crossing many SIMs (even 80/100 and more) then needing a draw distance of at least 250/300 meters (and possibly more) to identify the right path for landing and mostly "prims in the sky". Today I will install the GTX 1080 and I would be grateful if you'd give me some graphic tricks to set. I'm actually using 1920x1080. From your answers I've understood ultra graphic setting is practically impossible even with a powerful PC.>:( Thanks again to each one of you for your detailed and very interesting answers and support. 9_9

Edited by Robert67 Soulstar

Set antialiasing to 8, this increases the performance of the 10X0 graphic cards! The NVidia drivers seem optimized for this value.

In full ultra you should easy get 44+ FPS flying 250+ meters height, in high setting 100+ FPS. Ground level or low height another story, but again you should get 44+ FPS in high setting without problems.

Airports with high activity and many ppl will decrease FPS as mentioned earlier, but still easy 24+ FPS.

Be sure to have the latest updated drivers from NVidia installed.

Remember to use the NVidea GeForce control panel and set FS to use the card and with full power usage.

Edited by Rachel1206
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rachel1206 said:

Set antialiasing to 8, this increases the performance of the 10X0 graphic cards! The NVidia drivers seem optimized for this value.

In full ultra you should easy get 44+ FPS flying 250+ meters height, in high setting 100+ FPS. Ground level or low height another story, but again you should get 44+ FPS in high setting without problems.

Airports with high activity and many ppl will decrease FPS as mentioned earlier, but still easy 24+ FPS.

Be sure to have the latest updated drivers from NVidia installed.

Remember to use the NVidea GeForce control panel and set FS to use the card and with full power usage.

Excellent Rachel! 👍 I'll follow step by step your advice! THANKS! 9_9

Airports are usually not so crowded, I could rarely see up to 10/12 avatars but buildings and textures all around could be not always so quick to render.

About setting NVidia GeForce control panel... I already set FS to use my actual GTX 960 then I was expecting that setting would already make it work at full power usage or is it any specific adjustment for this???

Thanks in advance.

On 1/16/2019 at 9:37 AM, Robert67 Soulstar said:

About setting NVidia GeForce control panel... I already set FS to use my actual GTX 960 then I was expecting that setting would already make it work at full power usage or is it any specific adjustment for this???

Thanks in advance.

In the NVidia GeForce control panel:

3D Settings->Manage 3D Settings->Program Settings

Find Firestorm, add - if it is not found in the list of Program Settings

Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance

The new NVidia GTX1080 is working now and I sincerely didn't see any evident difference playing in Second Life.

Sometimes I've got this warning alert:

"Firestorm has to be closed. Failed to allocate 2572288 bytes for LLVBOPool buffer 1364. Free list size: 1943 Allocated Bytes: 1297440768 Allocated Index Bytes: 216891392 Polled Bytes: 130818048 Pooled Index Byytes: 50094080".

This occurs with VBO setting flagged and not.

I'll be very glad to arrange settings as you could suggest me.

Cheers.

The above clearly indicates their is a problem, I would reinstall FS and be sure to clear the cache - delete it completely, before reinstalling FS.

Add performance, you should see higher FPS compared to your earlier 960!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1912 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.