saga continues: viewer crashes while initializing textures pt 2

LibGwen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4741 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Because I can't be sure anyone will see the reply to the reply to the reply to the resolution which worked once but doesn't now:   http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/viewer-crashes-while-initializing-textures-now/qaq-p/832619

Again the SL viewer crashed, again when I start up the viewer when it reaches "initializing textures" the hard drive grinds and grinds to no effect.  The viewer doesn't register in Task Manager, but the filename in the menu bar can be closed (it says it's not responding).  This time deleting the C: - Documents and Settings - (USER NAME) - AppData - SecondLife folder made no difference.

Jeez, I've been a member a week now and the viewer has frozen at least once every day.

So, the questions are:  What do I do now?  And would I have better luck with another viewer?

5 answers to this question

In XP, deleting the SecondLife folder in C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\ should fix this issue. I would also suggest you delete the SecondLife prefetch file in C:\Windows\Prefetch as perhaps it is corrupted.

Edit: If this fails, completely uninstall Second Life including the aforementioned folder as perhaps the application did not install correctly and then reinstall.

If this fails too, uninstall and then download and install the latest graphics card driver for your Nvidia card from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4741 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.