Jump to content
Love Zhaoying

How to Make Friends and Influence Avatars

Recommended Posts

If we were to update the Dale Carnegie classic for SL, what would we write? Here are some thoughts:

1) Do be friendly and treat everyone with respect, no matter what their avatar looks like.

2) Don’t block people just because they are annoying- try to understand them, get to know them!

3) Don’t be a griefer.

4) If you are new to SL, avoid begging for money (L$, “munnies”) or asking random strangers for SL sex.

5) Respect other’s privacy and property. Don’t wander into someone’s home and play with their sex bed.

6) Talk with other avatars (in open chat or IM) before offering friendship. Almost no one likes random friend invites!

7) Don’t voice if no one else is voicing. It just makes people want to turn off voice.

What do you think, agree? Disagree? Any ideas? Obvious suggestions are needed!

  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got 50 pound bags of that dank catnip on deck in the stash house if you're running dry kitty-kin :3

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Don't be too friendly. Enough is enough. 

2) If someone is treating you without respect, destroy them.

3) Griefing is a waste of time. Unless you're playfully pushing a friend off of a pier.

4) Begging is annoying, prepare to be destroyed.

5) Be respectful of people's properties. Unless you find an unlocked vehicle - drive and don't look back.

6) Random friend invites upon login is like a mini-mystery. Who was that Russian person who added me and vanished as quickly?

7) If voicing appears intimidating, whisky is your friend. Also makes the conversation much more interesting, usually.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Orwar said:

1) Don't be too friendly. Enough is enough. 

2) If someone is treating you without respect, destroy them.

3) Griefing is a waste of time. Unless you're playfully pushing a friend off of a pier.

4) Begging is annoying, prepare to be destroyed.

5) Be respectful of people's properties. Unless you find an unlocked vehicle - drive and don't look back.

6) Random friend invites upon login is like a mini-mystery. Who was that Russian person who added me and vanished as quickly?

7) If voicing appears intimidating, whisky is your friend. Also makes the conversation much more interesting, usually.

7. I always voice people whilst drinking, makes me less nervous and definitely makes the conversation more interesting :3 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OnlyMon said:

7. I always voice people whilst drinking, makes me less nervous and definitely makes the conversation more interesting :3 

I never chatted to drunk you. Go grab a bottle of gin and let's have at it!

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I never chatted to drunk you. Go grab a bottle of gin and let's have at it!

It shall be on our never ending bucket list lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OnlyMon said:

It shall be on our never ending bucket list lol 

Well, today is Sunday. Last time I had whisky on a Sunday, father and I both called in sick the next day and sat in the living room like a pair of zombies. But, Tuesday is fine for me?

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Clover Jinx said:

Dude you've either had too much catnip or not enough with all this posting going on.

Think I got addicted to posting!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OnlyMon said:

7. I always voice people whilst drinking, makes me less nervous and definitely makes the conversation more interesting :3 

If I find sober people voicing annoying, chances are I’ll find drunk people more annoying!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Clover Jinx said:

Dude you've either had too much catnip or not enough with all this posting going on.

I was trying to start some threads “interesting and generic enough” that they may keep going awhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Moraxo said:

I got 50 pound bags of that dank catnip on deck in the stash house if you're running dry kitty-kin :3

 

E304E00C-41AA-42CC-99FE-A0164CE94200.jpeg

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Think I got addicted to posting!

You can make multiple quotes in one post........

just sayin

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

You can make multiple quotes in one post........

just sayin

 

I did just that, in a post last night! *gasp* You don’t read all my posts?

 

(In this case, I found multiple things to respond to after initially responding - didn’t occur to me to add a second quote while editing.)

A34FB19B-8550-4BFF-9BC4-F37C7CA51DB7.jpeg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I did just that, in a post last night! *gasp* You don’t read all my posts?

 

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing that.

I'm pretty sure I read all of your posts.   :)

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing that.

I'm pretty sure I read all of your posts.

The mobile site has become second nature..just need to use it more wisely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

14 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

2) Don’t block people just because they are annoying- try to understand them, get to know them!

4) Avoid asking random strangers for SL sex.

5) Respect other’s privacy and property. Don’t wander into someone’s home and play with their sex bed.

2. It takes a lot to get me to block someone who is annoying, but enough is enough.

4. I never have to ask.

5. I think as long as you leave the bed in the condition you found it, and you don't leave your DNA laying around this should be OK, oh and also if the owner shows up while you are there invite them to join in.

Edited by Talligurl
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

4. I never have to ask.

5. I think as long as you leave the bed in the condition you found it, and you don't leave your DNA laying around this should be OK, oh and also if the owner shows up while you are there invite them to join in.

This is precious!!

 

AD5EAA32-A282-47D0-B695-E10ECA16CA35.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If we were to update the Dale Carnegie classic for SL, what would we write? Here are some thoughts:

1) Do be friendly and treat everyone with respect, no matter what their avatar looks like.

2) Don’t block people just because they are annoying- try to understand them, get to know them!

3) Don’t be a griefer.

4) If you are new to SL, avoid begging for money (L$, “munnies”) or asking random strangers for SL sex.

5) Respect other’s privacy and property. Don’t wander into someone’s home and play with their sex bed.

6) Talk with other avatars (in open chat or IM) before offering friendship. Almost no one likes random friend invites!

7) Don’t voice if no one else is voicing. It just makes people want to turn off voice.

What do you think, agree? Disagree? Any ideas? Obvious suggestions are needed!

No. 5) I used to trespass random houses but never had sex on their bed.  I find that is disrespectful.  However recently I find things really annoying when I caught people entering my compound to change clothes!  Bump into a couple of random avi.  They just come in and treat it like their own dressing room.  I find it odd as there are tonnes of sandbox and also hotel plus dressing room everywhere but to use others house as their dressing room?  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*adds

8. Learn and embrace typonese

9. Give people who don't speak your language a little leeway. Correcting them is bad manners.

 

(that goes for our attempts to speak other languages too. Gendered words are just plain weird to English speakers, and umlauts are darned hard to type on a USA layout. Sure Gesäß can be typed as Gesaess but you should know what I mean if I run through the sim shouting GESASS without that extra e)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Orwar said:

5) Be respectful of people's properties. Unless you find an unlocked vehicle - drive and don't look back.

this is me 100% of the time hahahaha

and also asking for sex and being annoying can be the same thing, so if you start a convo with hi and follow up with wanna **** i will definitely block them haha

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Don’t take SL too seriously.

2. Don’t take yourself too seriously.  

3. Be kind nice and friendly. 

4. Have an interest besides pixel sex.  

5. If drama starts don’t get wrapped up in it.  

6. Don’t get in partnered relationships and start complaining to everyone at every contact with them because you expect monogamy and don’t get it because of alts you suspect. 

6. Block at worst or disassociate with drama prone people as your not meant for each other if they upset you repeatedly.  Your better off spending your energy and time with like minded people.  

7. Remember people have feelings and many in SL are lonely and easily hurt.  

8. If you leave the computer worrying about it and it affects negatively it needs to stop. 

9. Be interested not interesting. 

That way you’ll have a clear head to be a good friend to someone.  

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Be yourself, don't change to fit the needs and expectation of others

2. Respect others how they are, do not expect them to change.

3. Communicate

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...