MAV_Block_Error

DarkEmperor13

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1951 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey guys ive seen ppl talk about this in a few forums, but so far no one said or explained how to fix it. Well I did see that someone said it has to do with the materials missing or something, but for the life of me, I don't see how they are missing. I saved the model with textures on it and one thing I've noticed is that so far, every model I upload that I had textured within blender and saved as .dae, never have those textures even when I check the "Include Textures" option under upload options. So what am I doing wrong? Also here is a pic of my upload window incase that helps any:

UMW.png

36 minutes ago, DarkEmperor13 said:

Hey guys ive seen ppl talk about this in a few forums, but so far no one said or explained how to fix it. Well I did see that someone said it has to do with the materials missing or something, but for the life of me, I don't see how they are missing. I saved the model with textures on it and one thing I've noticed is that so far, every model I upload that I had textured within blender and saved as .dae, never have those textures even when I check the "Include Textures" option under upload options. So what am I doing wrong? Also here is a pic of my upload window incase that helps any:

UMW.png

Just in case. 

1 hour ago, DarkEmperor13 said:

I saved the model with textures on it and one thing I've noticed is that so far, every model I upload that I had textured within blender and saved as .dae, never have those textures even when I check the "Include Textures" option under upload options.

It is a matter of references in your file. Both Collada and FBX have options to include or not include the textures paths, using either relative or absolute path. When these are set properly, i have no problem uploading textures unless it's a rigged model.

Your MAV block missing is most likely due to the high number of vertices you have in the High LoD. There is a limit to the number of vertices that one material can have, and if this limit is exceeded a new material is created silently to cover the remaining vertices in excess. Your Medium LoD has far less vertices and doesn't require that special treatment, but the error generates because the number of materials in those LoDs aren't the same anymore.

Personal note: you shouldn't be using content made in and for Daz3D, it's unreasonably high poly.

17 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

Your MAV block missing is most likely due to the high number of vertices you have in the High LoD.

Personal note: you shouldn't be using content made in and for Daz3D, it's unreasonably high poly.

I'm afraid that is the answer.

This is one thing so many pepole in SL don't seem to understand:

Just about everything we see in Second Life is made from triangles drawn between points (called vertices). Every time the image on your computer screen is updated, your graphics processor has to calculate the position for each vertice and then redraw the triangles between them. That is a lot of work and obviously: the more vertices and triangles there are, the longer it takes. It's usually not a problem in Daz3D or SketchUp or such because the scene doesn't change much so the graphics processor doesn't have to recalculate it very often.

In a dynamic environment like Second Life or a computer game, the picture on your screen needs to be recalculated at least 20 times a second - preferably 40 or more - if you want smooth action. Think about that for a second. And then try to do it yourself: grab your crayons and a big stack of paper and try to draw 40 lovely pictures in a second. ;)

Seriously, Second Life and modern computer games couldn't possibly have worked at all if it wasn't for simplification, simplification and simplification. Keep the number of vertices and triangels down to the absolute minimum. And that is ultimately why you get the MAV_Block_Error here. I'm sure it would be technically possible to allow extremely high poly meshes to be uploaded to Second Life but I don't think it even occured to the developers that anybody would want to try something as mad as that

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

This is one thing so many pepole in SL don't seem to understand

They understand, it's simply that they don't want to ACCEPT the fact that SL is a game engine for what concerns meshes, and as such it MUST be lowpoly as the old games these people hate and spite so much, because "SL isn't a game" and as such it needs movie type of meshes. /me facepalms

1 hour ago, OptimoMaximo said:

They understand, it's simply that they don't want to ACCEPT the fact that SL is a game engine for what concerns meshes, and as such it MUST be lowpoly as the old games these people hate and spite so much, because "SL isn't a game" and as such it needs movie type of meshes. /me facepalms

The hysterical knee-jerk reaction to anyone using the word "game" to describe Second Life can be quite comical, but for the sake of serious discussion it's easier to simply sidestep the crazy-making trigger-word and refer to SL as a "Real Time Rendering Engine".

Edited by Fluffy Sharkfin
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

It is a matter of references in your file. Both Collada and FBX have options to include or not include the textures paths, using either relative or absolute path

First off I knew the answer to this without even thinking hard (both technical and moral :D) so that makes me happy ^^. 

But this comment brought up another noobie (after five years) question that I might as well ask here. 

I have material nodes set up in my start up file that I reuse or adapt using  other textures within the node set ups and then adjust from the basics. They have historically(from day one) been problematic by losing the path to the referenced texture file - this giving that hot pink "we have no idea what that texture is supposed to be" look before I go in and choose the texture to be used in the image texture node.

When I first asked about this many years ago no one had a "fix" for this. I am assuming it is a relative path issue but changing that setting in the preferences did no good. While it isn't a huge deal to go reference the texture again to set a new path, it would be good to know how to fix this.

Much like the dark orange header in the node when muted comes on (obviously when I had it selected when trying to move a portion of my model to another layer -- well obvious NOW anyway).  

Little bits of knowledge are good. 

Assume the question is obvious enough that I don't need  a screenshot :D.

OH, and the only time I get that MAV-Block error is when I forget to export the dae using the SL presets built in.  So while not the answer in THIS question, it could be the answer for someone else. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

When I first asked about this many years ago no one had a "fix" for this. I am assuming it is a relative path issue but changing that setting in the preferences did no good. While it isn't a huge deal to go reference the texture again to set a new path, it would be good to know how to fix this.

This is a problem with Blender, really, and it wouldbe good for you to set the paths as absolute instead of relative (it's more reliable) and the pink appearance of lost textures should diminish in occurrences. However, the only other thing that can help is by packing the image to the Blender file, which doesn't need a reference anymore this way. The Blender file becomes exponentially bigger as you pack more images, but you're never again going to lose image textures.

Edited by OptimoMaximo
little rephrasing
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

Yes i'm guilty to have never looked into Daz3D, i'm not interested in that and i can't recognize the crap that comes from there :)

I'm also unfamiliar with Daz3D, and I cannot assume that any first time poster with a mesh question, who's model isn't just a plain cube isn't a legitimate question per se.

On first glance I thought that picture shows a pile of ropes. Kinda weird ropes perhaps, but it's not on me to judge. ^_^

However, I certainly checked the Link Pam has posted, and even then I didn't saw anything that would come close to these ropes, err... hairstyle. And I asked myself, how does she know what it is actually? Then my eyes caught the model name in the importers window, and the dust cleared of immediately. :SwingingFriends:

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 8 months later...
39 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

People know. You could post a new question instead of resurrecting an old thread. The previous question is dead.

What is the meaning of opening one hundreds posts with the same title if this one have been not replied with a solution? Isn't it more handy to find replies under one post than going chasing in a billions? :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1951 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.