When is catfishing really catfishing?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 819 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the catfish aspect can only come into play there is a pretence of RL involved --  i.e. person A "pretends" they want to take things into RL and cultivates a relationship based on that when it

Truly if would only be catfishing if the person never intended to take it RL but claimed otherwise.  If the person initially thought it might go RL but later decided that they didn't want that with th

Posted Images

On 3/2/2018 at 11:14 AM, Bree Giffen said:
Catfishing defined:

In SL, there is the idea of having a purely online relationship where the real life details of those involved are completely ignored. There are people who like giving and getting real life information and there are people who would rather have their online avatar and what they do online to be the only thing visible to others.

The question I pose to you all: Do you think a person is a catfish if they want a SL relationship without real life info and have no intention to be cruel or to troll their partner? 

No, I don't think so. Now, if they did have the intention to be cruel or to troll their partner, then that's a different story. But otherwise, I don't think they're catfishing if they choose to keep their RL information out of SL. That's just their way of keeping the two separate...which can be done to a point, but in my opinion some things you just can't keep separate, such as thoughts and feelings.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 819 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.