Basic Shaders.. No. Now what?

Lexii Lungu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

OK...I found Telegram, and I added some sticker sets.  How do you save them in a format that SL will recognize?  Mine are some bizarre .wpg or something.

On the phone I do this:

1) Hold my finger down on a sticker I want to grab, in a chat. This brings up a preview without sending it (takes a bit of practice).

2) While the preview is displayed, grab a screen shot.

3) Crop the screen shot with phone   Photo editor (on iPhone you can do this immediately when taking screen shot).

4) Add the photo to an album!

Edited by Love Zhaoying

2 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

sharing a cache folder with 2 different viewers,

but most usually these days it's caused by pipelining blowing up.

I switched viewers during the borkage to see if it was something on my end. Maybe that contributed. It's fine now, just curious because I hadn't seen the problem in such a long time.

Thanks Whirly, you're a star x

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Did you have the problem less if you reduced draw distance or maximum graphics memory?

I pretty much always run with minimum draw distance and just increase it when necessary. It's sorted itself out now, but if it happens again, I'll see about graphics memory. The two stores where it happened are always slow to rez, so presumably mesh- and texture-heavy. I was in one when SL had a big crash - definitely remember that cause a friend said "It got me" as he went lagging off through a plate glass window. Could the DDOS problems have corrupted textures?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Once a texture is corrupted in cache, you'll continue to see that texture as rainbow barf until you remove it from cache, or it gets removed by the viewer during normal cache clean up.

I see that weird speckled texture a bit in big events, maybe due to pipelining having pink-fits.

Nice to know that clearing your cache fixes it! xD

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

I -think- I understand what pipelining is, more or less. But would someone explain it just so I'm sure? This is about understanding things properly so I can better trouble shoot for myself and maybe help others too. Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_pipelining

Pipelining can be enabled/disabled with the debug setting HttpPipelining

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
Added extra info.

On 3/5/2018 at 2:15 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

Speckled rainbow barf textures are usually what a corrupted texture looks like when decode failed.
It can be caused by various things - disk fault on the drive that stores texture cache, not enough free space on the drive that stores texture cache, sharing a cache folder between a 32 & 64bit viewer, sharing a cache folder with 2 different viewers, but most usually these days it's caused by pipelining blowing up.

Certain antivirus software (most notably Webroot) isn't compatible with Http Pipelining & any texture fetched over pipelining will be corrupted.
On viewers that have the Alex Ivy code, Pipelining blows up pretty often, even when not using a culprit antivirus software.

Once a texture is corrupted in cache, you'll continue to see that texture as rainbow barf until you remove it from cache, or it gets removed by the viewer during normal cache clean up.

So..turning off pipelining (as in your later response) is one possible fix? Dunno why that wasn’t clear, but I didn’t see it above.

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So..turning off pipelining (as in your later response) is one possible fix? Dunno why that wasn’t clear, but I didn’t see it above.

Yes.
You'll need to Texture clear cache (only once!) after disabling Pipelining because textures already fetched over Pipelining will be corrupted.
You can quite easily see if Pipelining is blowing up in the viewer log.

• Thanks 1

On 02/03/2018 at 3:33 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

I guess you are talking about this problem: VWR-29357 - Scene is mostly pink with viewer update- 3.3.4 (262321) July 26, 2012 - ATI cards

This should only happen if you have AMD graphics & your graphics drivers are very very out of date.
I'd hope you should be able to update the graphics driver to a version that doesn't have this problem, even if your system is really old.

In the top menu bar of the viewer, go to Help -> About Second Life ( About ViewerName if using a TPV), click the "Copy to clipboard" button & paste all your system information here.

I think, after reading the whole thread, that what you missed here is that pink textures are an expected sign of problems with the texture download process. You say it later, and you obviously know about it, but you just couldn't be bothered to mention it. That JIRA might be an example of when you can expect to see it, but there is nothing at all about the causes that is limited to old drivers or a particular brand of graphics card.

The first three lines of your reply are just pointless, unthinking, blather, as if you'd just searched the JIRA for "mostly pink screen". Why are you surprised at the responses?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, arabellajones said:

I think, after reading the whole thread, that what you missed here is that pink textures are an expected sign of problems with the texture download process. You say it later, and you obviously know about it, but you just couldn't be bothered to mention it. That JIRA might be an example of when you can expect to see it, but there is nothing at all about the causes that is limited to old drivers or a particular brand of graphics card.

The first three lines of your reply are just pointless, unthinking, blather, as if you'd just searched the JIRA for "mostly pink screen". Why are you surprised at the responses?

Why yes, you've managed to figure out the problem without the OP providing any additional information whatsoever with regard to their hardware (among other things), thus negating the need for diagnosis entirely! 

Seriously though, you have no way to know that the problem lies with the textures being downloaded or with the download process in general. 

You're looking for a quick, easy answer that has nothing to do with the user's end - wishful thinking at best. 

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.