Conversation Log Issue?

OnlyMon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2244 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey yall,

Recently when ive looked into my conversation logs, it'll only save one page of convo and when I relog it deletes most conversations as whole (as if I never IM'd someone). How come this is happening and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks! 

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Are you talking about the portion of the conversation log that you see inworld or the actualy physical file on your computer? 

Sorry, should have mentioned that! Im talking about the portion of the conversation log in world! 

I don't think I've ever paid too much attention to this, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen more than a few lines of history in the window each time I log in.  Note that I use Firestorm mostly, thus things could be different with the SL viewer. 

So I logged in an Alt using the SL viewer, and I see conversations back through Feb 14.  However, since this alt doesn't log in much or do much, the total lines is only about a page worth if I expand the chat window out to full page height.  Thus, using my main account, I added a bunch of lines to locat chat so that my alt's window contained more than a page's worth.  Then I relogged the alt and she does only have a single page of history.  I did this a few times and even though her chat history still goes back many days, it never exceeds a single page of lines each time that she logs in. 

My guess is that if you've seen more in the past, then this is a limit that has been changed, maybe with the latest release.  If you really need to see older conversations, they will be in the logs actually saved on your computer, so you can still get to them.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I don't think I've ever paid too much attention to this, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen more than a few lines of history in the window each time I log in.  Note that I use Firestorm mostly, thus things could be different with the SL viewer. 

So I logged in an Alt using the SL viewer, and I see conversations back through Feb 14.  However, since this alt doesn't log in much or do much, the total lines is only about a page worth if I expand the chat window out to full page height.  Thus, using my main account, I added a bunch of lines to locat chat so that my alt's window contained more than a page's worth.  Then I relogged the alt and she does only have a single page of history.  I did this a few times and even though her chat history still goes back many days, it never exceeds a single page of lines each time that she logs in. 

My guess is that if you've seen more in the past, then this is a limit that has been changed, maybe with the latest release.  If you really need to see older conversations, they will be in the logs actually saved on your computer, so you can still get to them.

Im using FS as well, its strange since I do prefer to just look through the conversation log in world that i have to search through my files on my computer. I guess its a limit thats been set, although an annoying limit.

Do you think it could be from the newest FS update? Maybe I should try re-downloading the past one and see what happens? 

Thanks for the help!

Edited by OnlyMon

20 minutes ago, OnlyMon said:

Do you think it could be from the newest FS update? Maybe I should try re-downloading the past one and see what happens? 

I really thought it had always been that way.  I can't say as I've ever paid too much attention before, but I have periodically scanned back to review all the messages that came in the minute I logged on.  I just don't recall it ever going back very far.

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I really thought it had always been that way.  I can't say as I've ever paid too much attention before, but I have periodically scanned back to review all the messages that came in the minute I logged on.  I just don't recall it ever going back very far.

Strange, because it would always go quite far back for me. Talking 10+ pages. I might try down grading and see what happens, because I do tend to refer to them alot - especially if someone sent me a link or an important IM I wanted to check again.

10 hours ago, KT Kingsley said:

Could it be that when you save your transcript files with a date stamp, the viewer only pulls in the most recent file for the previous conversation?

Couldnt tell you, although im pretty sure ive always had my date stamp checked. Ill try without it and let you know how it goes!

1 hour ago, KT Kingsley said:

Just to be clear, I'm referring to saving transcript files with the date stamp in the file name rather than just having the time stamp included in the transcript text.

Haha that was understood :) So far, its been keeping the conversations (more than 1 page), but time will tell if it does make a difference! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2244 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.