Best affordable laptop that will work with sl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure if this is the right forum!  Im shopping for a laptop, price about $400-$500, that will run sl.  Im not looking to run sl in all high graphics and such on it, I have a desktop at home for that, but something that I can take with me and pop on to do a few things during lunch, etc.  without it being super slow, or crashing, etc.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!!!  thanks all!

I recently bought a 480$ (after tax) Acer Aspire 15" with an i5 7200u, 8gb of DDR4, 1tb 5400rpm HDD and intel HD 620 graphics

Its really not anything fancy at all, it performs on par with my extremely budget desktop. General medium settings for 40-50fps in 1080p, 20-30 with lots of people around.

Anything really with HD 620 will be graphically enough for a pleasant SL experience, the mobile dual cores HD 620 is on are pretty much all the same and all perform better than my Core2Quad Q6600 that i use in my desktop, especially in single threaded performance. So really anything with a 7th gen i series mobile processor and integrated graphics will give the performance youre looking for.

Sadly, I don't have my US technical shopping bookmarks at hand, but anyway, how about a different approach: quite recently, one of the forum regulars explained how they run SL on their computer at home and "stream" it via a remote service, something by Google, to their mobile choice of hardware. A tablet or a mobile phone, in that case.

In such a case, you'd depend on pretty fast data connections, both at home and on your mobile unit.

Regardless of what you buy, SL is going to crash. This is because the techs working at Linden Lab have shown constantly that they don't care about the issues but instead want to keep on adding stuff that doesn't need to be added and getting money from sim developers who clearly have the same mindset.

• Confused 1

Just now, Deann3 said:

Regardless of what you buy, SL is going to crash. This is because the techs working at Linden Lab have shown constantly that they don't care about the issues but instead want to keep on adding stuff that doesn't need to be added and getting money from sim developers who clearly have the same mindset.

well it never really crashed on my old cheap HP laptop, and Im really only getting a new one cause the keyboard is no longer working on that one.  so not sure how this is relevant to my actual question.  nonetheless I found one I think will be good and am just waiting on it.  Sorry your sl experience has been so horrible.  Ten years and I am still very much enjoying it on desktop and laptop.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.