Sign in to follow this  
CaptainJack Grauman

Travelling in the void

Here the void is the area where there is no server.

Traveling in the void is well known to be impossible.

Formerly at Abbotts Aerodrome, there was an aeroplane that a user could click on as it came in to land, and it took him for a ride. Sometimes when I flew in it, it went through void or below the land surface :: later I realized that it likeliest did not move my avatar but it only moved my personal camera/viewpoint.

I saw a case where someone put a prim object in the void by giving it x or z coordinates out-of-range (= not between 0 and 256 meters) relative to a sim.

If there are future software developments in SL, perhaps an avatar could be allowed to fly in the void, by letting him have x or z coordinates out-of-range (= not between 0 and 256 meters) relative to a sim. He would automatically transfer to the sim that he is nearest to.

Edited by CaptainJack Grauman

It's been raised a few times on the forums, with various suggestions and differences. I prefer the actually fly/sail over void option rather than teleporting, as teleporting inside a vehicle is problematic in a million ways.

It might be possible after/if everything goes to the cloud, it would need a 1 region no-fly-zone around people's islands for privacy, that should be put in region control so estate managers can turn it on/off at will.

Apart from the those positives - normally a lot of negatives pop up.

Edited by Callum Meriman

I would love it. I would love to be able to fly over the ocean between continents. It would be fine if I couldn't fly too near to some islands. It would be nice to have ban lines or something similar that were visible at a distance,making them easy to avoid. It would also be great fun to sail between continents and islands.

4 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I would love it. I would love to be able to fly over the ocean between continents. It would be fine if I couldn't fly too near to some islands. It would be nice to have ban lines or something similar that were visible at a distance,making them easy to avoid. It would also be great fun to sail between continents and islands.

One solution there might be to display just the landform - no people, no objects. Basically - just what one can see on the map.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

One solution there might be to display just the landform - no people, no objects. Basically - just what one can see on the map.

I think something sub-homestead would suit, no more than 1000LI per sim should be needed in a sea connection . Not sure how servers handle Sims but if is LI based that should make a long intercontinental passage possible.

Edited by iamyourneighbour
  • Like 1