What is the most realistic plane?

MIVIMEX

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

The others are technically correct, but I'm a rulebreaker.  There are a LOT of very realistic planes in SL, when it comes to appearance.  I have an F-4U Corsair that I love, and a PBY Catalina, and an F-104 Starfighter.  There's even an enormous Spruce Goose.  When it comes to realistic flying, though, I have a few comments.

• NO plane can possibly fly realistically in SL, for a couple of reasons.  For one thing, anything like a scale speed, even for a prop-driven aircraft, would shoot you across the grid much too fast to be pleasant.  Secondly, there are sim crossings to contend with.  The faster you cross a sim border, the more likely it is that you'll experience a "rubber banding" glitch.  Cross fast enough, or cross too many borders too quickly, and you'll crash out of Second Life.
  • Some planes do have "realistic" flight characteristics.  I find them very hard to fly, even though I fly a little in Real Life.  Maybe I would do better if I had a joystick.  CLS Aviation has gone out of business, but they are still selling their planes on the Marketplace at rock bottom prices.  These have "realistic" flight characteristics.
  • My favorite plane for SL is a little two seat ultralight on floats.  It flies slowly enough that sim borders aren't much of a problem, and I have time to sightsee.  I can even buzz the yokels on the beach and not embarass myself by crashing (very often).
  • Some of the most fun planes to fly are not realistic at all.  The little WarBugs, planes that look like they are from an amusement park ride, are great fun, and you can dogfight in them with your friends.

If you want a realistic flight experience, SL isn't the best platform.  Get a flight sim program, and a nice joystick and some rudder pedals.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MIVIMEX said:

Hello, pilots and all vehicle lovers! How do you think, what is the most realistic plane in SL? Not only in appearance but also in behavior and controls.

Thanks!

this isn't the place to ask for products that are best, worst or somewhere in between.

It's meant for the more techinical side of SL.. or how things work.

Your question will be more likely be answered a lot faster in flyers groups.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.