You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 889 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I'm a tetraplegic with limited use of my hands and I'm trying to develop a better interface with second life. I use a joystick on my wheelchair and would like to develop one for use with second life. I tried using a generic zero delay stick with a USB converter. Did move my avatar but only about 2 paces. My next try is an Xbox controller but I suspect the joysticks are too small.

Any suggestions? Perhaps using Raspberry Pi?

Thanks 

Outside of a Space Navigator/Space Mouse you are simply not going to be able to use the built in "Joystick" configuration section in any Second Life viewer/client.

The only way to get around this is the use of programs such as JoyToKey that take Joystick and similar input and convert it into keyboard input.

Edited by Solar Legion
Links to examples added
  • Thanks 1

OK I'm going to try joystick to keyboard but what do you mean by built-in joystick? I know there are several types available and I'm wondering if I can use one of them second life. I've seen example of an Xbox controller being used with second life directly.

2 hours ago, Donmcybertect said:

OK I'm going to try joystick to keyboard but what do you mean by built-in joystick? I know there are several types available and I'm wondering if I can use one of them second life. I've seen example of an Xbox controller being used with second life directly.

There is - or was - a section in the Second Life preferences deceptively marked as being for configuring a Joystick. That section was actually meant for configuring 3D Mice like the one I linked to earlier. They tried to update this around the time they considered allowing for VR support in SL but never finished.

Yeah, you can use Second Life with an Xbox controller but it has to be passed through conversion software first - hence the recommendation to use Joy To Key.

• Like 1

Actually you can use the XBOX360 controller but you have to mess with the joystick settings in the client.

I've used my controller before.

Here's someone else figuring it out:

Not sure if you've looked into them, or if it would work for you since tetraplegia can vary from person to person, but there are one handed keyboards that may be an option.

Trackballs can also be used as joysticks with a bit of coding trickery, which is what I did due to nerve damage in my hands, so if you have someone who can help you that may also be an option to look into.

Not sure how helpful I'm being but figured I would mention the workarounds I'm aware of just in case.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 889 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.