How do you make your relationship work when you have a big time zone difference?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1267 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

it is very hard, i have the same prob as i live in the uk, most of my friends here are from the usa time difference is a tricky one, i cannot get online in the daytime uk time because of my work commitments, weekends is not to bad because i spend a lot of late nights here, i did try it once with late nights in the week , i ended up with exhaustion, and was very ill to the point of hospitalization, so they told me it was a warning to get my rest , i was off sl for about 5 months, but my boyfriend here stuck with me and waited for me, but i did tell him to go and enjoy himself and rp as normal, we have an open relationship, and its good it works for us, all the best and good luck

Edited by binder59
spelling

On 2/28/2018 at 2:11 AM, CherishSweetThings said:

I met a wonderful man here in SL recently.  He had me almost at Hello! I could tell from day one that he was special and we have been connecting almost every day since we met. It has not been too long yet and we're still very new, but we're trying to work out some of the things in our new SL relationship that are posing a few small challenges.  The main one is time zone and maybe, well, time itself! He lives in Australia and I live in the USA. We are 16 hours apart! My  late afternoon and night is his early morning and daytime.  Somehow, we have made it work out so far, since he works alone at home during the day and I am on my computer at night. But of course we have to keep a balance between SL and RL.  We've been talking about ideas for how to best do this, and decided to try dedicating two days/nights (depending on which country you're talking about!) a week to spending extra time together online. The rest of the days/nights we will still spend time together when we can, but will try not to make those stretch out for hours on end.  What do you all think? Is there anyone else on here who has been faced with these challenges?  What do you do to keep your RL and your SL relationship in balance?

i have read my comment on page two flower

I was partnered with someone with a 16 hours difference and we made it work for 6 years here -- so it is quite possible to be successful.  You have to first find ways to communicate with each other to figure out if you can meet for "lunch" or other special times during the day. For example, when I was driving to work, I would call him in the morning to chat and then during lunch time, I'd log on and he would as well to spend time together. We would write notes to one another, send links to places to each other, and just keep in contact different ways. You can also identify times that are best to meet -- some of the best realtionships focus on the quality of the time together and not the quantity. Use the time away to spend with your friends or work on your avatar -- if you are only focused solely on the relationship, you might lose sight of the value of sl in other aspects. 

• Like 1

My partner is 6 hours behind me (I'm in the UK and she is on US Central) but she doesn't work, so she is usually around at the same time as me (late afternoon for her, late evening for me). 

There are plenty of other options outside of SL; there are a ton of social media and messenger sites that you might both be able to chat whilst you're not in-world. And there's always email. 

• Like 1

It's difficult sometimes. I am US/Central and he is GMT+3 (eight hours ahead.) In the beginning, it was super easy... I did not work and so I could stay up all night and well into the morning if I choose to. But since having to work, we have had stressful moments as we adjusted.  He needed to get back on a regular sleeping schedule as he would stay up super late for me and then with my job I had to go to bed early enough so I could get the sleep I needed to do what I had to do.

We often chat through Skype and watch movies through share screen which is awesome, we sometimes play games on Steam too so alk that helps.

We're coming up on our first year and I couldn't be happier. I would love to spend that time with him in-world, but we may not get to... So it's like in moments like this, it's we take what we can get and be happy you know? What bothers me is that he may have to move soon and since he does not know where yet I do not know how much of a difference there will be after he settles in.

But yeah, it's what you make of it. :)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1267 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.