Jump to content
IreIia

Linden Labs, Will You Ever Create A Mobile Phone App For Secondlife?

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Kai Lyvingstone said:

I can't imagine how awful it would look on a phone, lol. Does nobody own computers any more these days? I can't imagine why people are so into everything being mobile, every time I try and browse the internet or do anything that's not Twitter on my phone it's obnoxious. Too many sims are too high-detailed to look any sort of decent on a mobile version. Maybe it would have worked if the game looks like it did back in 2004, but not any more.

Depending on what you want to do, this doesn't really matter. For hanging out somewhere chatting, a mobile app would be incredibly useful, as it would allow remaining part of the conversation while reading on the sofa. Also, I somehow got a better framerate on Lumiya (Galaxy S7) over my PC (GTX 1050), so I'm not even sure if the performance disadvantage is all that big.

If there were an iOS app, or even just a touch-friendly companion app for in-home streaming, I'd likely use that over a desktop client most of the time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Kai Lyvingstone said:

I can't imagine how awful it would look on a phone, lol. Does nobody own computers any more these days? I can't imagine why people are so into everything being mobile, every time I try and browse the internet or do anything that's not Twitter on my phone it's obnoxious. Too many sims are too high-detailed to look any sort of decent on a mobile version. Maybe it would have worked if the game looks like it did back in 2004, but not any more.

For me myself, I don't really care if it's not as good as my PC. I go on SL all the time when I'm at work (where I literally just sit around in an empty building and get paid barely anything, but hey it's a job) and participate in group chats and IM friends while I read a book. I love SL and something native is a lot easier on my phone than teamviewing to my PC to use it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't Apple taking down apps that contain depictions of nudity and reproductive behavior? I can't see SL making it's way into that walled garden.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Isn't Apple taking down apps that contain depictions of nudity and reproductive behavior? I can't see SL making it's way into that walled garden.

They might wind up having to block adult regions or add some way to filter things if Apple tells them to. I know Telegram has had issues with that (there are adult chats).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Isn't Apple taking down apps that contain depictions of nudity and reproductive behavior? I can't see SL making it's way into that walled garden.

It does not have to be in the App store... users of SL won't care.

...Or it could be a closed source viewer limited to general content and a money grave like Sansar.

Edited by Fionalein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fionalein said:

It does not have to be in the App store... users of SL won't care.

True, they could always sideload it (unless Apple makes that impossible at some point).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BethTech said:

True, they could always sideload it (unless Apple makes that impossible at some point).

At best this requires jail breaking, which throws out some of iOS' advantages.

Also, if an app can only be installed through jail breaking, it's reach becomes extremely niche, so I doubt Linden Lab will go through with the project, if it can't get into the app store.

If they have to block users from accessing even potentially adult content though, I won't be able to access my usual hangout places :( None of the Sims I am interested in are rated less than M.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Noel Loordes said:

At best this requires jail breaking, which throws out some of iOS' advantages.

Also, if an app can only be installed through jail breaking, it's reach becomes extremely niche, so I doubt Linden Lab will go through with the project, if it can't get into the app store.

If they have to block users from accessing even potentially adult content though, I won't be able to access my usual hangout places :( None of the Sims I am interested in are rated less than M.

  

I honestly doubt you get much interaction options with wiping anyways... I bet some ivory tower CEO decided "it is a market we must access" without considering the typical iOS user's mindset and it's incompatibility with a complex environment like SL...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Noel Loordes said:

At best this requires jail breaking, which throws out some of iOS' advantages.

Most importantly, jailbreaking voids warranty. I can 100% guarantee LL is not going to make their users do that.

Worst-case scenario might be that it'll be a text-only client, but this is all  super speculative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is DOA.

Jail-breaking is barely feasible on iOS platforms capable of even contemplating SL and not a practical route to market for any serious application, so it's app store or bust.

Apple will drop the nukes just as soon as the press wake up to Second --that place to have weird digital nookie-- Life being on iOS. At best we will get investigative journalism about SL's rich and thriving escort & fetish scenes, more likely we will get some lazy pictures of naked avatars on an iPad. It wont matter. Tumblr couldn't survive it .. Twitter could easily be next.

Locking the client to PG land ... wont do a damn thing. IM chat isn't going to be limited to PG content. Skyboxes aren't going to be limited to PG content, if anything PG content just makes it more likely that the inevitable trash-fire screenshots will have naked avatars next to someones 100% innocent PG child avatar play area.

Even text only isn't surefire safe. The App Store has rules. Apple enforces them. 

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#user-generated-content

Quote

1.2 User Generated Content

Apps with user-generated content present particular challenges, ranging from intellectual property infringement to anonymous bullying. To prevent abuse, apps with user-generated content or social networking services must include:

  • A method for filtering objectionable material from being posted to the app
  • A mechanism to report offensive content and timely responses to concerns
  • The ability to block abusive users from the service
  • Published contact information so users can easily reach you

Apps with user-generated content or services that end up being used primarily for pornographic content (doesn't matter if it's true, perception matters), objectification of real people (e.g. “hot-or-not” voting), making physical threats, or bullying do not belong on the App Store and may be removed without notice. If your app includes user-generated content from a web-based service, it may display incidental mature “NSFW” content, provided that the content is hidden by default and only displayed when the user turns it on via your website.

The last part about adult content being opt in is not enough to stave off a ban. It's not like the press haven't faked SL illicit activity before for shock value.

"Little Timmy downloaded this virtual world, we thought it was like minecraft but with better graphics, and now he says he's a _______ sex ______ and wants to shop at hot-topic"

Will it be impossible to solicit a virtual escort on the PG client with out enabling adult content ? 

Will it be impossible to rez or view adult objects without enabling adult content ?

Objects are not maturity rated, it could be a car, or a 30ft glowing _______.

 

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#hardware-compatibility

Quote

2.4.2 Design your app to use power efficiently. Apps should not rapidly drain battery, generate excessive heat, or put unnecessary strain on device resources.

My iPad now doubles as a space heater / grilled cheese sammich maker.

 

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#payments

Quote
  • Apps offering “loot boxes” or other mechanisms that provide randomized virtual items for purchase must disclose the odds of receiving each type of item to customers prior to purchase.

About those gachas .... technically they aren't provided by LL, ho hum ... 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

This is DOA.

Jail-breaking is barely feasible on iOS platforms capable of even contemplating SL and not a practical route to market for any serious application, so it's app store or bust.

Apple will drop the nukes just as soon as the press wake up to Second --that place to have weird digital nookie-- Life being on iOS. At best we will get investigative journalism about SL's rich and thriving escort & fetish scenes, more likely we will get some lazy pictures of naked avatars on an iPad. It wont matter. Tumblr couldn't survive it .. Twitter could easily be next.

Locking the client to PG land ... wont do a damn thing. IM chat isn't going to be limited to PG content. Skyboxes aren't going to be limited to PG content, if anything PG content just makes it more likely that the inevitable trash-fire screenshots will have naked avatars next to someones 100% innocent PG child avatar play area.

Even text only isn't surefire safe. The App Store has rules. Apple enforces them. 

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#user-generated-content

The last part about adult content being opt in is not enough to stave off a ban. It's not like the press haven't faked SL illicit activity before for shock value.

"Little Timmy downloaded this virtual world, we thought it was like minecraft but with better graphics, and now he says he's a _______ sex ______ and wants to shop at hot-topic"

Will it be impossible to solicit a virtual escort on the PG client with out enabling adult content ? 

Will it be impossible to rez or view adult objects without enabling adult content ?

Objects are not maturity rated, it could be a car, or a 30ft glowing _______.

 

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#hardware-compatibility

My iPad now doubles as a space heater / grilled cheese sammich maker.

 

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#payments

About those gachas .... technically they aren't provided by LL, ho hum ... 

  

 

@Linden Lab Did you think through this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

@Linden Lab Did you think through this?

I'm sure they have been given a solid legal interpretation of the rules as they do or do not technically apply to the LL offering, probably by someone who doesn't use the platform personally and would be embarrassed by / didn't think to type smutty words into search.

Someone will, and they will write about how easy it was and how the adult filters were meaningless, and that will be that. In all likelyhood they will start this journalistic assignment simultaneously knowing the outcome and have not used Second Life before .... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

 I'm sure they have been given a solid legal interpretation of the rules as they do or do not technically apply to the LL offering, probably by someone who doesn't use the platform personally and would be embarrassed by / didn't think to type smutty words into search.

Someone will, and they will write about how easy it was and how the adult filters were meaningless, and that will be that. In all likelyhood they will start this journalistic assignment simultaneously knowing the outcome and have not used Second Life before .... 

That is why they need a working PR department. One that can forsee desasters and is involved from the start (no help in setting them off to advertise a lost cause).

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

This is DOA.

It is, but it's one commit, considting of 4 lines, to the build .py files.

The community above has jumped at that as being proof.

I'd put it down to a troll by a Lab developer that will never make it past that one commit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the Lab knows something we don't? Apple might be releasing an adult portal and call it I-$NAUGHTYACTIVITY

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's possible that "without streaming" actually just means "no caps" will be connected.

The App might be a way to see which friends are online, buy linden dollars, and shop the marketplace for general rated things. No chat, no graphics, no login to world.

Edited by Callum Meriman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had this epiphany maybe they might ahve a working PR department... what better reminder that SL is still around than have the media report on it's banning from the I-Store? Development might be cheaper and more effective than a long running PR campaign ;)

 

Edited by Fionalein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Little Timmy will be scared for life

Or collared and put into silks in Gay Gor.

 

(*Little timmy is clearly well over 18)

Edited by Callum Meriman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other day, I was exploring in a sim, and I saw the owner standing stock still, and I thought he was AFK but he wasn't slumped over. I IM'd me and asked about an event, and he said he couldn't show me the event sign because he was dialed up to SL on his phone and couldn't move. But that enabled him to at least talk in IMs, and possible click on groups? And I have had customers tell me they are logged in "on their phone". Not just to their email answering IMs via email, but somehow in SL. Not sure how they are doing this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...