Linden Labs, Will You Ever Create A Mobile Phone App For Secondlife?

IreIia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@"Phones don't have the performance": Lumiya kind of proves that point wrong. I get decent frame rate there (Galaxy S7), mostly actually better than on my Laptop (GTX 1050 Ti), probably due to optimized settings. 

Unlike the streaming based solutions available some time back, the phone-optimized UI even gives a reasonably good experience. Streaming on the other hand... For a start, it eats through data volumes too quickly to be useful on mobile, and was outright awful with 8MBit/s. The Lumiya way of giving "good enough" graphics with a mobile-optimized UI worked a lot better for me.

I'd LOVE for something like Lumiya to be available for iPads. Sadly, with the way background activity is restricted, I'm not sure if such a solution would even allow switching to another app without disconnecting. Plus, Apple's ecosystem actively drives away hobbyist-efforts from iOS (need to buy a mac to develop in the first place, no side loading). 

(Getting tired, hope nothing has become incoherent.)

Edited by Noel Loordes

IIRC LL was hiring a mobile developer for SL within the last 6 months, so I would say they might be working on an app. I am also working on an app (so far tested on Android and iOS and it's working but still needs a lot of work before I release it).

Unfortunately when I do release it, it likely won't be a native iOS app due to not owning a mac.

Edited by Hintswen Guardian
  • Thanks 1

Actually, it CAN be done.

For Android users, there's the Lumiya viewer.  It costs a few bucks from the Google Play store.  It's no longer on the LL list of approved third party viewers, and I am not at all sure the developer is supporting it any more.  Use with caution.

For everyone, including iPhone and Windows Phone users:  There is "Bright Canopy."  This is a subscription service, and it works like the "SL Go" service that's been mentioned.  The heavy lifting is done by a server, and you access the result through your web browser.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

For everyone, including iPhone and Windows Phone users:  There is "Bright Canopy."  This is a subscription service, and it works like the "SL Go" service that's been mentioned.  The heavy lifting is done by a server, and you access the result through your web browser.

I'm not sure, how most people intend to use these services. For me, the main purpose would be to hang out in my favorite SL places and chatting away while sitting on the sofa, doing something else on the tablet for the most part. In this usage, I'd be through the 10 hours included in their 17$/mtl plan within days. Also, judging from my experience with Lumiya and SL Go, I expect my bandwidth to become a bottleneck before the rendering capabilities of my iPad. There's also no indication, if the service even allows switching out of the app without interrupting the connection on iOS. Since its running in the browser, I'd be surprised if it did.

9 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

For Android users, there's the Lumiya viewer.  It costs a few bucks from the Google Play store.  It's no longer on the LL list of approved third party viewers, and I am not at all sure the developer is supporting it any more.  Use with caution.

The viewer hasn't been updated in more than a year around the time it stopped appearing on the TPV list

2 hours ago, greek Wingtips said:

if you have android a great app is Lumiya,  probably not on the approved list because LL is developing their own and want to knock it of its perch I bet

I don't think anyone but the creator of the app and LL knows why it's not on the TPV list any more but it was removed by LL. I doubt it was removed because LL might be making their own app otherwise why allow the other android apps to stay on the list

11 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I don't think anyone but the creator of the app and LL knows why it's not on the TPV list any more but it was removed by LL.

Common thought is - to be listed on the TPV list you need to sign a legal document with the Lab that a few devs don't like signing. It requires your full and proper name and address and gives the Lab rights to use your work.

In Lumiya's case it's not open sourced software, so it could be - so the theory goes - that the dev simply doesn't want to give the source code to the Lab.

• Thanks 1

Lumiya disappeared from the TPV directory at the same time the developers name poofed from search & their web profile changed to "name not available".
So for whatever reason, the Lumiya devs account is in an inactive state.
To be listed on the TPV directory the owners account has to be in "good standing" with Linden Lab.
I have no idea if this is why Lumiya was removed from the TPV directory but it seems likely.

I'm pretty certain Lumiya is still "safe" to use though - well, as safe as any other TPV listed on the directory.
Lumiya is pretty widely used & if it was removed from the directory due to a security issue I'm sure LL would have b locked it from logging in & made an announcement about it like they did recently with that other mobile client.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2018 at 10:12 AM, CoffeeDujour said:

We have some text clients and .. they are problematic, they separate people from the world that makes up SL and reduces it to yet another chat app. It's a poor experience for the user and the people they are trying to interact with as Second Life is based around avatar presence.

Very well said!👍

And I believe many still use Lumiya, and this is how they appear most of the time to the rest of the virtual world (yes I had to censor the picture):

IxCgKoj.png

You can get your IMs (and group notices) sent to your email, you miss nothing.

You can reply to IMs by email without being logged in.

And all that perfectly from your phone, any phone!

But seeing quite a lot of Zombies standing (or running on the spot) around while using some mobile app is really nothing I think is great to have.

Edited by Garvin Twine
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've considered getting an account with a streaming service, from what I've seen some of them stream to phones as well.  It is basically a video stream of a remote computer, that has decent specs. 

The only problem would be that I would still need a keyboard and mouse to play SL.  I also imagine it would be a bit laggy on 4g though.

20 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Oh looky what I spy over on Bitbucket...

Beginning work for adding new platform ios.

The developer also changed his display name to MobileBrad a few days ago  :D
https://my.secondlife.com/brad.linden

This is so exciting! I wonder if there will be one for Android too? I use Lumiya, but I like having options. :D

*hype increases*

I can't imagine how awful it would look on a phone, lol. Does nobody own computers any more these days? I can't imagine why people are so into everything being mobile, every time I try and browse the internet or do anything that's not Twitter on my phone it's obnoxious. Too many sims are too high-detailed to look any sort of decent on a mobile version. Maybe it would have worked if the game looks like it did back in 2004, but not any more.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.