Linden Labs, Will You Ever Create A Mobile Phone App For Secondlife?

IreIia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Seriously? We should have had an app developed for a few years now with how big the smartphone market has come, and how big SL has gotten and becoming a business and all. I can't believe they haven't once tried to put out an app, and meanwhile there are platforms like Lumyia for the Android. (Sadly Windows Phones will be left out, luckily I got a Iphone now, so there's hope to get Lumyia possibly one day).

Linden Lab, answer me!!! Why hasn't there been a app made or if there is one in development, how come we aren't hearing about it? Can we ever expect to have an app? Also, is there any good Iphone Apps? Can you guys please list<3 Thank you huns.

• Like 1

I'm aware of Lumiya, but I don't have a android. Only a Iphone, and Windows Phone. Anyhow, I'm more curious as to if there are any IOS/Iphone SL Apps to play on just to text with friends. I don't care about moving around in world, and stuff. I want a messenger client but moving around would be a plus. 

More importantly, I just want to know why Linden Labs won't make a official secondlife app. I'm sure many would pay a few dollars to use it. I know they tried long ago with something called SecondLife Go or whatever which was a failure that no one liked.

16 minutes ago, IreIia said:

Linden Lab, answer me!!! Why hasn't there been a app made or if there is one in development, how come we aren't hearing about it? Can we ever expect to have an app? Also, is there any good Iphone Apps? Can you guys please list<3 Thank you huns.

First off, LL seldom reads these forums, so you'll be hard pressed to get an answer from them here.

My opinion though is that no matter how far smart phones have come, they are not up to the graphics capabilities of what SL demands.  Thus the best you can get from some sort of phone app is basically a chat client.  I just don't see the incentive for LL to waste resources on that when they have so many actual SL things to deal with.

• Like 3

I think it's really up to the 3rd party developer market to develop an IPhone and/or iPad viewer for SL.  There used to be a very basic one back in 2014, when I first started.  At some point it was removed from the app store - I'm not sure if it was changes with IOS. the app store, or with the LL viewer API or lack of interest which caused it to be removed from the market.  There have been several attempts by 3rd parties for some type of 'streaming' service (the UI ran on their servers and was displayed on a PC or tablet) but I don't know if any of those are around or not and they were not free to use - the first one I remember did have an IPad app, though it was pretty clumsy to use the viewer controls.

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Lumyia is not an official 3rd party viewer anymore   http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

There's no such thing as an "official" TPV, only TPVs that self certify they follow the Linden Lab TPV guidelines - some of which are a bit restrictive. 

CoolVL is another that you won't find in the directory though that one isn't for mobile. 

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

LL doesn't have the resources to create a mobile viewer.  If someone wants one, then they can create it the same way other third party viewers are created -- or fund someone to create one.

It's part of the underlying ethos of Second Life. If you want it and no one else has made one, find a way to build it.

Which reminds me, I need to get back to my luge training. :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 27/02/2018 at 9:50 PM, IreIia said:

I'm aware of Lumiya, but I don't have a android. Only a Iphone, and Windows Phone.

There's your problem! You own two niche phones with small overall market penetration.

Next time perhaps choose a device which has the dominant operating system.

• Like 1

Check the TPV link given earlier and you will see there is a text-only viewer for iOS devices.

MetaChat MetaChat iOS - TEXT ONLY - Second Life® client.

And this is not about dominant or not, it´s about the complexity to port windows functions to iOS.

Android viewers "easily" can use part of the code from original viewers or the great great openmetaverse library whereas
iOS doesn´t understand this code.

Windows phones. Well ... MS is even more rough and strict about developing apps for their devices. (XBox too)

Monti

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Monti Messmer said:

Check the TPV link given earlier and you will see there is a text-only viewer for iOS devices.

MetaChat MetaChat iOS - TEXT ONLY - Second Life® client.

And this is not about dominant or not, it´s about the complexity to port windows functions to iOS.

Android viewers "easily" can use part of the code from original viewers or the great great openmetaverse library whereas
iOS doesn´t understand this code.

Windows phones. Well ... MS is even more rough and strict about developing apps for their devices. (XBox too)

Monti

I had forgotten about MetaChat.  After going an looking at their web site, I do remember reading there when they were still working on getting the app approved in the App Store.  Glad to see that they were able to get it working and approved. 

• Like 1

Except for extremely high end phones the hardware just isnt there yet. The iPhone X's APU is just now on par with low end integrated graphics on i series processors. Similar to HD4000 though overall performance including the CPU benchmarks is similar to that of a Kaby Lake mobile i5 7200u.

The absolute highest end phone performs graphically similar to the integrated graphics from 2012. Or similar to a GT 330m for anyone who cares about that metric. Performing about half as good as an 8800 GTX, the closest performing card to my Quadro FX 4600 which is pretty much the minimum for 1080p medium/high settings nowadays, and about the same as a GT 710, which is the absolute minimum to even get playable results in 720p.

And the phones are so non-standardized that getting software to run across iOS, android and windows mobile is difficult and time consuming.

Phones and tablets arent there yet.

There actually is an iPhone client on the TPV directory: MetaChat

Description

MetaChat is a text-only viewer for all Virtual Worlds based on the OpenSimulator software for 3D worlds.

There is no 3D view, this is a text-only viewer.

Add accounts from different worlds with different start locations.,

See your friendlist, read messages or write

Chat with groups, see group infos or write group notices

Chat in open world

Move around a mini-map, teleport to landmarks

See your inventory, preview textures or pictures

On 3/3/2018 at 1:12 AM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Not a game.

Yeah, yeah.  I knew i should've edited my original comment after i realized i called it a game, but i also knew someone would respond saying it's not a game.  Virtual world, Game, Simulator, etc...

Edited by femhalf

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2018 at 12:12 AM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Not a game.

It is certainly a game. There is nothing about second life that allows you to consider it not a game. You login to a server and play a game completely controlled by the community. Your sitting at your computer playing games. Second life while it doesn't have a plot does have all of the characteristics of a video game. Moreover platform choices, you can play on PC, mac, and linux. Furthermore anyone who claims sl is not a game is just lying to themselves and looking for any way they can justify their laziness. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game

All most all of that can be used to describe second life...

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, havenstance said:

It is certainly a game. There is nothing about second life that allows you to consider it not a game. You login to a server and play a game completely controlled by the community. Your sitting at your computer playing games. Second life while it doesn't have a plot does have all of the characteristics of a video game. Moreover platform choices, you can play on PC, mac, and linux. Furthermore anyone who claims sl is not a game is just lying to themselves and looking for any way they can justify their laziness. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game

All most all of that can be used to describe second life...

I don't think a crappy definition from wikipedia is a good source for a decision. Microsoft Word could fit it. My favorite game is real life, by the way.

How is claiming SL is not a game justifying laziness?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

I don't think a crappy definition from wikipedia is a good source for a decision

According to the first paragraph of that wikicrap... Killing people with Hellfire II Anti-Tank missiles from the cockpit of an AH-64 Helicopter Gunship, would technically be a 'video game'...

You interact with a user interface to see results on a screen in digitally enhanced night vision cam...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.