How do regions detect alts?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Whenever I get banned from a particular region, I notice that none of my alts are able to access the region either.

But for them, instead of saying "You have been banned from the region" it says "Sorry, you do not have access to that teleport destination."

This cannot be a coincidence. How are regions detecting my alts?

1 hour ago, WingsOfPurity said:

I don't think either ban is very well justified, and this is why I asked this question.

justified?...

landowners need no reason at all.

And think your actions been enough for them. Go on with rezzing crap and questions, you'll find a lot more places that will ban you.

On 2/28/2018 at 2:53 AM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

LL is able to use hash id's from hardware, ip addresses, mac address.  it's not very hard for them to find you.  

They don't use MAC addresses anymore iirc. They use the bios serial and volume id now as your hwids.

Also to answer OP's question, estate bans involve IPs yes.

What they know is all pretty clearly defined in the source code (and no, I don't mean the false flag left there to fool people ) but exactly what the Lab store inside a region's ban list to stop alts is a black box. 

Could be MAC, could be IP, could be some hidden value that they have worked out based on other things like your --- hard disk serial number + video card bios revision + graphics driver version + GB of RAM + cpu model + cpu serial number + operating system + a bunch of other things. ;) 

The fingerprint the Lab have worked out is pretty good. We know that for a fact.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

Well, this thread is more for the regions detecting alts of mains that have been banned. And that's a private estate thing.

It actually works on mainland parcels also: if you put a name on the banned list it also affects alts. At least it does in all the testing I've done. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

It actually works on mainland parcels also: if you put a name on the banned list it also affects alts. At least it does in all the testing I've done. 

Wouldn’t make sense if it only worked on private sims, right? There’s just 1 LL ban list system.

6 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

my bios has no serial number, try again.

Like I said bios serial is used, volume serial is used and others. The "mac" the login params define is not a MAC address from your NIC but rather something else.

Here's the relevant bits of code in firestorm:

http://hg.phoenixviewer.com/phoenix-firestorm-lgpl/file/a0402b4cb047/indra/newview/llhasheduniqueid.cpp

http://hg.phoenixviewer.com/phoenix-firestorm-lgpl/file/a0402b4cb047/indra/newview/llmachineid.cpp

http://hg.phoenixviewer.com/phoenix-firestorm-lgpl/file/a0402b4cb047/indra/newview/lllogininstance.cpp#l231

http://hg.phoenixviewer.com/phoenix-firestorm-lgpl/file/a0402b4cb047/indra/newview/llappviewerwin32.cpp#l820

I hope this answers your HURR DURR ONE OF ABOVE DOESN'T APPLY TO ME SO YOU'RE WRONG TRY AGAIN query.

As for what the sims use, it seems to be IPs only, at least back in the day when we tested it with a VPN. This may or may not have changed.

PS: For bonus points check out this comment why they changed it:

http://hg.phoenixviewer.com/phoenix-firestorm-lgpl/file/a0402b4cb047/indra/newview/llmachineid.cpp#l64

64 // MAC Address doesn't work for Windows 7 since the first returned hardware MAC address changes with each reboot,  Go figure??

Edited by Ghost Menjou
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2018 at 10:51 PM, WingsOfPurity said:

Whenever I get banned from a particular region, I notice that none of my alts are able to access the region either.

But for them, instead of saying "You have been banned from the region" it says "Sorry, you do not have access to that teleport destination."

This cannot be a coincidence. How are regions detecting my alts?

just dont ever let anybody know yr alts and also change yr ip everyday sometimes more then 2 3 times a day

1 hour ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

So, if you get a new computer, or have more than one, your alts can still enter where your primary account was banned on the other computer?

You'd still need a VPN unless you have dynamic IP.

11 minutes ago, Quinn Lysette said:

just dont ever let anybody know yr alts and also change yr ip everyday sometimes more then 2 3 times a day

Or just don't be such a *****ter to get banned and then still forcing yourself onto them by trying to invade their property with your alts.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.