Psychological Services For Pay?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

Is it permissible, per LL or SL rules, to offer therapy for pay in SL? 

I ask because I came across an ad for a "health clinic" in the in-world employment forum looking for "therapists" who "aid patient therapy services via CBT and talk therapy, and they may specialize."  There is no representation made that applicants must be certified therapists of any sort.

I know SL residents come to experience a variety of things and are willing to pay for a lot, but I'm wondering, are there restrictions on this sort of thing on ethical/legal grounds?

~Lori

I'd hope the ad's placer has an application process that would sort for people who actually have credentials. Speaking as a would-be psychologist myself if nothing else. If they aren't using actual therapists, that's ethically dicey as heck. How they sell the service to clients would determine whether there's false representation involved. Dr. Phil isn't licensed to perform therapy anymore since he was caught banging his secretary, but there's nothing legally wrong with him doing that harmful little show of his since it's not the same thing by a loophole. And there are different standards within the United States and Canada alone for that role; the more global market's rules would really get complicated if they're trying to be legit.

Many of the "doctors" in SL are actually role play characters. I agree that it is a dangerous "game", but hopefully  within that context the "patient" will realize that the advice given is no better than from a friend or next door neighbor -- or forum respondor.  I have seen ads such as the OP is asking about and most of the ones "I" saw were for role play. Note that RP sims often advertise in the wanted sections and frequently there is no pay. If their is pay, it isn't going to be the going RL rate, you can bet on that :D. 

I also think I may have seen the same ad mentioned -- one that included shadowing an experienced person in the "clinic" before getting to move up in the ranks. I would definitely stay away but as far as I know this isn't against the TOS -- unless of course you present yourself AS a real life therapist when you do not have credentials -- that would be fraud I am pretty sure. 

• Like 2

Personally I would never seek  medical advice in SL without knowing a person's pedigree. But most important to me is if this person can point to independent references that point to his/her competence. I know a lot of licensed therapists and doctors that are solely degree hunters. They are experts at memorizing a lot of data so they can regurgitate that later in an exam or publication. Their walls are full with their exam accomplishments but they suck at dealing  with human beings / their clients. You recognize them because in their real life practice they are matching symptoms described with the medication prescribed. They never dig any deeper and investigate how their clients managed to get these symptoms in the first place. 

So don't only look at the paperwork but ask for references. And yes you can ask for my references as well both RL and SL. ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KT Kingsley said:

Anyone who'd pay for counselling in SL definitely needs counselling.

Agree and disagree. Normally people donate some L$ for the work (except for the really egocentric and greedy people). I don't ask anything for my group gatherings in SL and for the guided meditations I publish. Luckily those that appreciate my work and notice the value it has for them do something in return, like giving a gift, spread the word or make a small L$ donation. I think that's the way it should be. 

I don't think it's against the rules. How many of the priests, vets or midwives who wed you, take care of your pets or assist you through an SL pregnancy are licensed in RL?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Aislin Ceawlin said:

I'm almost positive that in the U.S. anyone claiming to be a RL therapist when they aren't could be sued for practicing medicine without a license. 

Yes, but this is SL and in truth, anything like that here should be considered a form of RP.

On 2/26/2018 at 8:21 PM, Number1Counselor said:

Is it permissible, per LL or SL rules, to offer therapy for pay in SL? 

I ask because I came across an ad for a "health clinic" in the in-world employment forum looking for "therapists" who "aid patient therapy services via CBT and talk therapy, and they may specialize."  There is no representation made that applicants must be certified therapists of any sort.

I know SL residents come to experience a variety of things and are willing to pay for a lot, but I'm wondering, are there restrictions on this sort of thing on ethical/legal grounds?

It is permissible and who's to say it is not all some part of role playing.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.