Did SL just go down again?

Pandora Pawpad

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Pussycat Catnap said:

Actually the 'people who design the "game"' have been optimizing it for years now to make it less laggy, more stable, and faster performing.

The problem is we get a lot of people who are "this is my f-bombing world and you f-bombers can sod off about me reducing my lag over here on my parcel on the sim we share" - people that load up on nasty scripts, badly optimized mesh, over-sized textures, and so on... and zap sims, cause lag, and then blame Linden Lab.

BUT both that and your comment are likely wholly unrelated to today's fiasco.

Today feels like the end of Net Neutrality is a few days early... and we're getting jacked... or something...

Chances are somebody got perma-banned and is responding with a DDOS attack... (that's how this plays out in a lot of MMOs at least). But it does feel like a DDOS attack...

Call me a troglodite, but wat's a DDOS?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deann3 said:

Call me a troglodite, but wat's a DDOS?

Distributed Denial of Service attack.

Basically hacker A takes the CPUs of a few hundred thousand computers on the net, and has them all hit Server B at the same time.

-The old Viewer Emerald was banned from SL because it had code to let one of it's developers use any computer that was running Emerald to do this... He snuck it in there unbeknownst to the other devs (as the story goes)... but the offense if a felony criminal act... so they flat out tossed the entire viewer out of SL.

These days... any developer can add a small snippet of JavaScript to a webpage that will secretly hijack a visiting computer and force it to mine crypto-currency... it's supposedly very easy to do this...

Now if we flip that around, we can presume most of us are partially hacked in one way or another. And by most of us I mean most of the entire internet, not SL users per se... and so any hacker could probably pay the 'right people' to have a whole mess of comupters 'aimed' at a desired target... all without the users of those machines ever knowing it... (except your computer might get hot, the fan might spin up... and if an Android phone it might even melt...).

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

3 minutes ago, Deann3 said:

Okay, so DDOS is clearly something severe. Geeze, someone must be having an major hissie.

We don't know it's a DDoS. That's just our random theory...

It could very well be a dog chewed a wire in an office somewhere... an intern spilled some coffee... or somebody hit that red button by the machine in the back room thinking it was the light switch...

2 minutes ago, Deann3 said:

Little side thingy,

I thought LL banned bots. I know for the first few when i was on with an old avi the bots totally hogged up all of the linden $ earning slots.

They were more sly than that. They created the registered bot system. You can have a bot as long as you register it. Once you it no longer counts for traffic.

But bots are actually extremely useful for SL. Many land and merchant systems use them to handle filing payments and such...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.