You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If i remember good, it was à Time whenever newcomers weed adressed to à mentor un order at least to learn SL bases. Unless beeing summoned from external call, it should be better the new players complete à form or graduation before being releasable un World. Additionally, i do not consider that unless beeing invited too, it should be possible to reach more than general rating before one or two weeks of effective play. I m fed jours to be asked for jobs or mentoring while working on m'y land... And i do not talk about one day old self called masters and that are running  Nude from ciel to girl.

• Like 1

There are many places you can find mentors for newcomers in SL, either by visiting a sim dedicated to the purpose and talking to people, by making friends who can show you around or by advertising here on the forums what exactly you are looking for.

it could be fine for newcomers to provide them with a chance to not be tagged as newbies that do not know anything, and especially to restrict them from beginning as badass in more than general rated sims... such qualification is the worst thing SL could offer with letting too freedom to these ppls. Most do not deserve that, but lot of ppls have not always time to spare for training/teaching. May be some ppls willing to teach as mentor in exchange with higher stipend or Something like could be usefull. And in adult sim, the House system instauration by older ppls could be a good idea as mentorship for ppls that maraude on sims without any real goal except sex for sex...

There used to be a group of volunteer Mentors, under the sponsorship of Linden Lab.  That program is long gone.  But there are still lots of people who love helping newcomers.  You can find some of them on the Social Islands, and others at resident-run help areas like Caledon Oxbridge University, New Citizens Inc., New Resident Island, or Firestorm Help Island.

I think your suggestion of a regimented mentoring program, with a newcomer required to take instruction from a mentor before they can access Adult areas, would be unworkable.  For one thing, there are way more incoming newbies than there are mentors.  For another, very few people are willing to take the time that this would require.  Heck, most newcomers at Oxbridge simply run or fly through the exhibits; they never stop long enough to actually READ them.

But the help is there, for those who want it!

• Like 1

What do you mean with "strong system of houses" Lamyae? Many Adult sims I visited just had those informal carebear mentor types like G or M sims do, and they do a pretty well job that way. Forcing poeple in houses sounds a lot like that gor-ey stuff to me... 

I mean, I had the benefit of attending school where I was given a chance both to learn how to communicate and how to reproduce (or rather how not to, which made it pretty clear how to do it as well).

What exactly do you think needs supervised instructions? 

Step A: get naked.

Step B: sit on poseball.

Step C: emote, chat or touch yourself, or do it all if you're sufficiently skilled with multitasking. Whichever you find more interesting.

Step D: get half-dressed and go back to the club to wait for the next predator.

There's no difficulty in learning 'how' to do it, making it enticing and new each time even if you've been at it for hours is the challenge - and that's something that demands the attention of your creativity and your libido - and knowing your partner. 

If someone sees a 20 day old avatar that still uses a ready-made Linden avatar, few are going to be looking too carefully at their picks to begin with, and having one that says 'Mr. Smith has thoroughly taught me how to be a good ****-buddy' is going to be of absolutely no value, just like all those 'I'm 110% submissive but also 28% dominant and 78% voyeur, because the Internet told me so.' or the 'I like spanks because that's the kinkiest thing in the world, or when you call me a b!tch and pull my hair'-picks.

• Haha 2
On 2/26/2018 at 9:18 AM, LamyaeNeferati said:

If i remember good, it was à Time whenever newcomers weed adressed to à mentor un order at least to learn SL bases. 

That must have been in the really early years of SL.  I started in early 2007 and I was never assigned to anyone.  I wandered through some self-paced learning area and then I was pretty much on my own.

I never really had that hard of a time figuring out how to do adult stuff either.  I definitely would not have appreciated some sort of forced instruction in how someone else thought I should be doing things.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
On 26.2.2018 at 5:18 PM, LamyaeNeferati said:

Additionally, i do not consider that unless beeing invited too, it should be possible to reach more than general rating before one or two weeks of effective play.

Why? That does not make sense and I would consider it to even be harmful to the entry experiance of Second Life.

was just to provide basis to newcomers, a lot think they can do anything they want and chat any girl up they meet or ask directly for job although they know Nothing in Sl... Girls either on adult are not meat for males, and ppls can be busy with their own SL to hire or train... so that pootential interesting ppls are unfortunately classed in greenies that are disturbance although they could have interesting capabilities only because their lack of knowledge on how to be in sl.  i had a case i suggested to learn SL on gen/mature before going on adult, he seemed interesting but had not time or energy to train it

12 hours ago, LamyaeNeferati said:

was just to provide basis to newcomers, a lot think they can do anything they want and chat any girl up they meet or ask directly for job although they know Nothing in Sl... Girls either on adult are not meat for males, and ppls can be busy with their own SL to hire or train... so that pootential interesting ppls are unfortunately classed in greenies that are disturbance although they could have interesting capabilities only because their lack of knowledge on how to be in sl.  i had a case i suggested to learn SL on gen/mature before going on adult, he seemed interesting but had not time or energy to train it

I worked as a 'mentor' (though we called it tutor) for a few months, a few years ago - and every day I was assaulted by women from all over asking me to everything from marrying them to be their dom, people think that people are 'meat for them', it has nothing to do with gender. I still, going to a club, will get people raving about 'wanting to get under my kilt' and that's not 'newbies' - many people who act like that have been in SL for years. Just as I often have to deal with age-old creepers perving on female friends. 

People lacking etiquette and manners is not an SL orientation issue, it's an issue of people thinking they can behave however they like because they have no responsibility or repercussions for their actions. For as long as people refuse to accept that there's a person behind each and every avatar they come across, there will continue to be predators and general arsehats. 

As for whether a person is 'interesting' doesn't come down to their avatar age, but how they act. A person who has spent 10 years in SL and has an avatar good-looking enough to be a magazine model is of absolutely no interest to me, unless the person behind it is intellectually stimulating and eloquent enough to carry a conversation which doesn't feel as if it was written by a 5th grader with Tourette's syndrome - especially if I'm to have any interest at all of getting 'into the sack' with them; I'm sorry but if all one can bring to the table is '/me moans and feels hot' I'll lose interest within moments.

It's true, SL can be overwhelming for new people - and that's why there are so many help centers with mentors and tutorials, but those are for basic navigation, beyond which what and how you do things is entirely up to you as an individual. We don't need any SL-specific Sex Ed. to indoctrinate people with 'how to do it', especially considering how absolutely rotten most 'adult communities' are with terribly outdated attitudes which promotes male dominance and hardly acknowledges femdom - heck, even where I used to work as a host I was instructed to greet every male patron with 'Sir' and suggested I should greet E/everyone when entering the room; but to be perfectly honest I have no intention of acting the submissive to someone deranged enough to think that referring to oneself as a dominant means everyone should treat them like a prince or princess. People should be treated as people, whatever they do in the bedroom I don't give a darn about.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think the OP actually has a good idea there, although I doubt that any formal system of "qualification" to access adult activities will ever happen.  But she's right that doing cyber-sex well requires that you actually understand the basics of Second Life first.  How to put on/take off clothes, how to use animated furniture, and how to chat emote.  I've had to tell I don't know how many newbie horndog guys, "No, sorry.  It just wouldn't be much fun for me, 'cause I'd have to stop every five seconds and explain to you how to do something."

On 01/03/2018 at 6:43 PM, Orwar said:

people think that people are 'meat for them', it has nothing to do with gender.

I wish I had a penny for every pushy sub (both male and female) that IMed me out of the blue wanting a master for an hour

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.