How to not link pay pal account to SL?

TardisTeamYT

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

1 hour ago, Ethan Paslong said:

they do work in combination with paypal

But not as a payment method for SL.  That's the important distinction here. To use PayPal as your payment in SL, it must be verified by having a bank account or a credit card as its backup source of funds. PayPal may not care how you put money into their account, and Linden Lab doesn't care either (as long as PayPal is prepared to eat the loss if you don't have money to pay Linden Lab when you buy stuff). So, once you have verified a PayPal account, you may feed it with a prepaid card if you wish, as LittleMe said a month ago in this thread. ^^

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

they do work in combination with paypal

Since when? Are we talking verified PayPal account here? I am intrigued as many users if not most can't get them to work at all and it'd be great to know a roundabout way to use them anyway.

1 hour ago, Syn Anatine said:

Since when? Are we talking verified PayPal account here? I am intrigued as many users if not most can't get them to work at all and it'd be great to know a roundabout way to use them anyway.

It would be more correct to say that a verified PayPal account works as a payment method for SL, and that a debit card can be used to link to a PayPal account and "verify" it.  The one caution here is that if you use a debit card or a bank account to back up your PayPal, you must always have enough money actually in the PayPal account to cover charges from Linden Lab.  They require instant payment, and won't wait several days for money to be transferred from your bank to PayPal to them.

45 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It would be more correct to say that a verified PayPal account works as a payment method for SL, and that a debit card can be used to link to a PayPal account and "verify" it.  The one caution here is that if you use a debit card or a bank account to back up your PayPal, you must always have enough money actually in the PayPal account to cover charges from Linden Lab.  They require instant payment, and won't wait several days for money to be transferred from your bank to PayPal to them.

Are prepaid visa or mastercards considered debit cards in the USA? As that is what Derek said. I do know a debit card works if attached to a verified paypal account if you use it to top up said paypal account :)

Edit: Nevermind I just saw your reply directly to him. I didn't realize the posts were completely out of order.

This new forum change seems okay on a lot of things, but I've found two very odd things with it now. The out of order posts making a discussion confusing and the fact it's so easy now reply to way old posts/responses without realizing!

Edited by Syn Anatine

2 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

Are prepaid visa or mastercards considered debit cards in the USA? As that is what Derek said. I do know a debit card works if attached to a verified paypal account if you use it to top up said paypal account :)

In the US, you could have:
1) A bank debit card (not prepaid, draws directly from your bank account)
2) A prepaid debit card (buy it and you often can periodically reload it)
3) A prepaid credit card (also called a secured card, funded by you providing your 'limit' up front - over time this one can become a real regular credit card - it is often used by people with poor or no credit history to build up a credit history).  

I don't know if the prepaid debit card could be used to "verify" a PayPal account, whereas I believe both of the other two could.  I'm pretty sure all three can be used to fund a PayPal account.

Just to note that the Paypal rules changed this week so it might be good to reread those. 

Seems to me the best plan is simply to live in SL with ONLY money you earn. Plenty of people do that. 

Sorry, I didn't note this was the ANSWERS part of the forums --- and that wasn't an answer :D.

Edited by Chic Aeon

52 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

Edit: Nevermind I just saw your reply directly to him. I didn't realize the posts were completely out of order.

This new forum change seems okay on a lot of things, but I've found two very odd things with it now. The out of order posts making a discussion confusing and the fact it's so easy now reply to way old posts/responses without realizing!

The posts get out of order because people use the arrow buttons on the left to up-vote or down-vote them.  At the top of the thread, on the right, are two buttons, "Sort by date" and "Sort by Votes".  Sort by votes is the default, and apparently there is no setting to permanently choose Sort by date.  But you can click that button and get the posts back into chronological order.

Replying by mistake to necroposts is harder.  People use Search to find a topic, and sometimes the results include some very old threads!  Unless you remember to check the post date, you too could become a necroposter.

On 2/25/2018 at 2:17 PM, TardisTeamYT said:

I would like to purchase Linden Dollars but don't want to link any papal acount to Second Life. Can anyone help?

Only the Pope can link papal accounts.  However, if you meant "PayPal" accounts, see the rest of this thread and ignore my little jest.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

In the US, you could have:
1) A bank debit card (not prepaid, draws directly from your bank account)
2) A prepaid debit card (buy it and you often can periodically reload it)
3) A prepaid credit card (also called a secured card, funded by you providing your 'limit' up front - over time this one can become a real regular credit card - it is often used by people with poor or no credit history to build up a credit history).  

I don't know if the prepaid debit card could be used to "verify" a PayPal account, whereas I believe both of the other two could.  I'm pretty sure all three can be used to fund a PayPal account.

Yes, the variety of "credit card" types is very confusing, so it's hard to make a simple statement about what works for SL and what doesn't.  The primary underlying concern here is that Linden Lab, like any business, wants to be sure that it will get its money when you buy a service from them. A secondary, related concern is that Linden Lab wants a way to track you down in RL if a transaction fails or if you have done something that puts the company or its other clients at risk (read "TOS violation"). Those concerns can be at odds with your personal wish to be anonymous, or with your own worries about security (read "identity theft").  So, while you may prefer to use a prepaid card to keep a low profile in RL, that makes you a more risky client than Linden Lab is comfortable with. The confusing part is that "prepaid" cards and "debit" cards and "bank" cards differ in how anonymous they let you be. Also, PayPal has different rules about what sorts of funding sources it will accept than Linden Lab does. So, some of those cards will work for some people in some parts of the world, but most don't. As several people in this thread have said, the easy solution is to use a real credit card or a PayPal account that uses a real credit card as its backup funding source. You may try other types of cards, but be prepared for disappointment or frustration in most cases. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.