How to add mirror to SL?

KennyChidorie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2196 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

16 answers to this question

That JIRA is almost four years old.  The suggested patch is a cool experiment, but it is just that...an experiment, a hack that was never implemented in the official code.  You can certainly play around with it, but there is no guarantee that the patch will work with the current viewer code.  Linden Lab's official position is "no mirrors".

"We don't believe mirrors are a good idea. We're not going to do mirrors. There are too many corner-cases it cannot be made to support well enough, and frankly, we think it would cause us more trouble in people complaining [that] they don't work well, than we get now saying there are no mirrors. Think curved surfaces, think mirrors that reflect each other; there's just lots of reasons that's just not that great an idea."   - Oz Linden

If what you want to do is just a single mirror, there are ways to fake it.  You can take a picture of the view from the mirror's position, add some streaky light reflections in Photoshop, and apply the texture to your "mirror" prim.  It won't reflect YOU, but it will appear to be reflecting the things in the room behind it.  You can make a "reflective" floor by building a mirror image of the building beneath it and making it shiny and partly transparent.  You can make still water serve as a mirror, if you position your avatar over it, take a picture, then rotate the image 90 degrees.

• Like 6

You can fake mirrors. Sort of .. this works in all clients.

1. Rez something. Add a specular texture, set it to "blank" and then put the values to the max. This is your mirror.
  2. Facing away from the Mirror prim - Take a picture of what the mirror will see.
  3. Create a light source, set to projector, apply the picture and point it at your shiny object
  4. Scale the projector so it matches the aspect ratio and apparent size of the "reflection"

I did a fairly detail write up on this over on the Second Life subreddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/secondlife/comments/8btvrb/lighting_your_home_creating_fake_window/

Adeon Writer followed up with a decent video guide on how his portals were created 

There is a fair amount of play with shiny settings and the actual image to get the effect you want. You can reflect a room or windows on a object, make shiny floors that reflect windows etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I guess you saw this article and the new video?

http://echtvirtuell.blogspot.com.au/2018/02/neues-sl-video-mit-echtem-spiegeleffekt.html

Compiling the viewer is quite advanced, and applying the patches requires you to know the C++ programming language. Sadly the mirror effect is experimental, and without knowledge of the C++ language you won't get it working.

I suggest you vote for the patch on the jira.

Edited by Callum Meriman

Just a historical note. Long, long very long ago like 12 years there WAS a builder making a very impressive scripted mirror that would "take your photo" front view and then put it on the surface of the "glass" right while you were looking at it. It was fairly instantaneous. Of course by NOW that same mirror would likely seem pretty crude but back then the store seemed to do very well.  

Odd the things you remember. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 3

As far as I know Black Dragon viewer contains Screen Space Reflections(SSR) technology by default, all you have to do is turn it on... don't come back crying at us if it messes up your latex outfit or car though (I have been told there are some problems with materials and SSR, there must be a reason Firestorm dropped it)

Edited by Fionalein

9 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

You can fake mirrors. Sort of .. this works in all clients.

1. Rez something. Add a specular texture, set it to "blank" and then put the values to the max. This is your mirror.
  2. Facing away from the Mirror prim - Take a picture of what the mirror will see.
  3. Create a light source, set to projector, apply the picture and point it at your shiny object
  4. Scale the projector so it matches the aspect ratio and apparent size of the "reflection"

I did a fairly detail write up on this over on the Second Life subreddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/secondlife/comments/8btvrb/lighting_your_home_creating_fake_window/

Adeon Writer followed up with a decent video guide on how his portals were created 

There is a fair amount of play with shiny settings and the actual image to get the effect you want. You can reflect a room or windows on a object, make shiny floors that reflect windows etc. 

This gives me excellent ideas, thank you! What do users see if they have Advanced Lighting set to “off”?

10 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Just a historical note. Long, long very long ago like 12 years there WAS a builder making a very impressive scripted mirror that would "take your photo" front view and then put it on the surface of the "glass" right while you were looking at it. It was fairly instantaneous. Of course by NOW that same mirror would likely seem pretty crude but back then the store seemed to do very well.  

Odd the things you remember. 

I remember more recently, a mirror trick where actually you sit then 1) The sit position places you BEHIND the “mirror” and 2) the script places your cam position looking AT the mirror. So, you end up behind/in the mirror in a static pose, and your camera looks at you - facing out from the mirror. Mirror trick/illusion.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, KennyChidorie said:

бессмысленный пост.

as is your response and earlier remark on other people's explanation to your question

2 hours ago, KennyChidorie said:

No. This is not a great idea... I want mirror. I want get that render at the mirror..

бессмысленный пост.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2196 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.