Can't download Second Life?

AngeIFaye

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Sorry, I wasn't sure where to post this question exactly, and I did not find any information for it on Google search, or the SL Answer's forum.

I just signed up, and clicked the download, then its almost done, and it says this, no matter how many times I try. I don't have any issues with my connection. So idk what it could be?

"Sorry, we can't download Second Life.
Try checking your network connection, then run Second Life setup again. (12002)"

18 answers to this question

Are you clicking Run from the Download window? I suspect you are due to the comment regarding "then run Second Life setup again".

Instead, click Save and save the file to your Download folder and install the program from it. Some people have had problems trying to install the program from Run.

OK, error 12002 is a time out error. Looks like Firefox is trying to establish an internet link during the setup and either it is failing or is timing out. This is usually due to a proxy configuration or a firewall issue or perhaps you have cookies disabled. I have no idea how to fix this in Firefox only in Internet Explorer. You may be able to find out by googling it. I'll ask Peewee to look at this too as she uses Firefox.

Would trying to install it on IE help? I try not to use IE, but I can to try and get it going. I've tried it with my fire wall off, and I don't have cookies disabled. Would this have anything to do with me having AVG? And Thank You. I will take a look at what PeeWee has said

As soon as I start the download, it's all pretty quick, it tells me the estimated time is one minute, then quickly counts down from there without any problem (has the game ss's and everything). Then when it gets to "a few seconds remaining" is when it crashes at the same spot. I'm not sure if this helps but, it crashes on the ss of a floating platform, and it says "Enjoy!" in the top right, and "We can't wait to see you in Second Life" on the bottom.

No, I do not have any download limit/restrictions on my connection. I torrent quite often, and play a lot of different MMORPG's & F2P's.

Possibly. I've never used AVG. Have you AVG Linkscanner installed too? Try disabling AVG during the installation process and see it works. Enable it again after. If you have IE installed, you'd have to make it your default browser for the installation process to use it then reset Firefox as default if successful. I know when I messed around with Firefox and IE on my old computer, I got confused with IE wanting me to manage addons when switching back from Firefox so I vowed to stick with one browser in future.

I'm getting confused now. I initially thought you meant it was was not downloading fully but then you said "I have Vista, I'm using Firefox, I double click the "Second_Life_Set_Up" under my "Downloads", and it gets to 70% done, then crashes with that error", so I assumed you meant it was crashing during the setup installation process. If it's crashing during the download, I'm not sure what's causing it.

If it is crashing during the Download part and not the installation part (during the Wizard) then it may work using another Browser like IE.

I`m not sure why a download wouldn`t complete unless somehow your connection is spazzing out for a minute & then reconnecting, but the break is long enough to disrupt the download.

Try IE, its possible that it may download faster and avoid any break in your connection as you sound like you are getting close to 3/4 of the way through.

Another thing you could try is downloading a different viewer such as Phoenix or Kristens, maybe one is a slightly smaller file size and will download faster. http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

I had the same issue for a month or so, My internet connection is excellent, all my drivers are updated... I even tried run as administrator.. nothing seemed to work( using Internet Explorer). I went to this site and downloaded the sencond life viewer... now i can play the game. try donwloading this and allow it to install... oh and try using firefox to download from, alot of site downloads will work only with Firefox. http://secondlife.com/support/downloads/ this is the second life viewer. Good Luck, I hope it works.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.