Noobie Nodes Question - texture to bake to

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Now I know there is a very simple answer to this but I have never seen it mentioned -- every now and then, maybe every other month -- I end up with a texture image to bake to that is DARK rust in the label rather than the goldish color. Obviously this signifies something. I have NO issues connected with this. All works well. Still I would like to know what it means.   Thanks.

5a90d510c089e_nodepane.PNG.69b1e67637c368be07b4871903f891a7.PNG

First thing i thought was the recolor feature for the nodes that was introduced in the 2.7x series. But i was mistaken. When it is red like that, only on the top label, it's because the node is Muted.  You can toggle it from the menu shown in the pic or by hitting M when the node is selected.

Screenshot_1.png

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Thanks 2

Node muting is a shading debug technique as much as node soloing. It is used to observe the behavior of a material when parameters are disabled ie: say is the specular roughness the source of this noise, you make a comparison between results to determine what needs more samples. Which finally leads to the use of LightPath, instead of the general samples number.

• Thanks 1

Well I figured it was a hot key thing like when I get things pinned by accident or hit a "Q" :D. Thanks for letting me know what key it was!   AND that could possibly come in handy now that I know what it is. Typically I delete the node I "think" I want gone. This would be better.

/me walks away humming with more knowledge

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.