My friend can never get voice working.

realflow100

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

it just doesnt work

they've even tried their friends computer and logging into their account and voice still doesnt work when they use their account

What could be the problem if its their account thats making voice not work and not their SL settings or computer? Any ideas?

9 answers to this question

my friend has tried absolutely everything on that page. and it still isnt fixed

its not a software or computer issue or internet issue. they let someone else try their account on someone's computer that the other person could use voice on. and they weren't able to use voice on my friends account so it seems to be an account issue of some kind!

No, that doesn't happen.  I don't think LL has any way to do that even.  I still suspect that it's a matter of your friend's settings.  One of the more common problems, for example, is that people will mistakenly set the Maximum Bandwidth setting in Preferences way too high.  You never need more than 1200 - 1500 . If you set it higher but do not have much extra bandwidth in your connection, the viewer will take all of the amount you have set, leaving nothing for voice or streaming media.

Just curious, when your friend has voice turned on (through Preferences -> Sound & Media  "Voice chat"  enabled box checked, does a white dot show up above their head? and can they hear other people speaking using voice chat?  Is their slider bar for voice chat  volume turned up (near the right end of the slider bar)? 

On Preferences -> Sound & Media -> Voice do they have the "toggle speak on/off when I press" check box checked and perhaps haven't toggled speak on?

These might seem like the most obvious things, but often it's the most obvious things that are overlooked.

I have over 60000kbps download and over 4000bkps upload speed connection and i dont have any problem whether its at 500 or 3000 it just loads things faster for me at 3000

but my friend always has it at 500 and hes tried playing with it

And yes he's already tried those things. and they are already set properly everything related to mic is enabled he's already sent screenshots

it just DOESNT work.

he's tried NEW COMPUTERS and a fresh install of SL and it still doesnt work

it used to work a long time ago but then suddenly one day it didnt and he's already tried absolutely everything on that support page

No he has no dot above his head and he cant hear anyone. not even when he first logs on.

he cant turn voice on either. the toggle mic button is greyed out and he cant join calls. even though voice is enabled

he's tried all of the usual turning it off and back on. doing the reset/refresh button. doing all of it.

even cleared reset his entire firestorm settings deleted it from all folders and deleting all preference files and reinstalling from scratch clearing cache. and checking his drivers updating them still nothing. still no white dot. and he's tried literally everything you could ask him to try.

OK, let's think logically.

The problem follows the account.  The problem account CANNOT use voice on other computers, even when those computers work with other accounts.

(Have you tried using a different account on the problem computer??  Does voice work for other accounts?)

You've ruled out bandwidth settings

There is no voice dot, and mic button is grayed out.  This says that voice is not enabled in that viewer and those account settings.

You say you tried a fresh install of the viewer.  Did you do a CLEAN install...deleting all caches and the various hidden files?  See this page: http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_clean_install

You say voice used to work.  Can you think of anything that was added to the computer between then and now that might have affected it?  NOTE:  Windows 10 recently added Skype to the operating system.  This may be having an effect.  Look into disabling or uninstalling Skype.  I don't THINK this is the problem because of the first point above, but it's worth a look.

If none of the above proves useful, I'd consider getting a one month Premium account and contact Live Chat for tech support.

its not me though its my friend named kozypup

thats his username in SL

it IS enabled in all the places that shows you can enable it. like in the audio settings. and in the preferences. the checkboxes are all checked

but voice still does not work.

and it does not give him the usual voice cant connect to "url" error when he starts up SL.so really have no idea what the problem might be. you would have to contact him about it himself. but he seems to of given up.

Edited by realflow100

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.