Renting a Linden home

SonoGeno

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2252 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I would like to rent the 2-story California contemporary, stand-alone home. Unfortunately it is not being offered today. Based on my getting the house I like, I plan to purchase the annual Premium Membership after 30 days of trial on the 1-month deal. What should I do? Wait another day? Will you notify me by email? Thanks.

2 answers to this question

You should simply try again another day. This is like the real estate market in RL.  When a real estate agent drives you around to look at houses, the one you want may just not be on the market that day, so you buy something else or you wait until someone else decides to sell (or, very rarely, till the builder decides to create more houses of your style).

You may change homes up to 5 times a day if you don't care for the particular one you received.

EDIT:  Also, you don't need to make any decision about Linden Homes until you are good and ready.  You could wait for years if you want.  Or you can decide to use your Premium land fee waiver for the land fees on a mainland parcel of your own choosing somewhere else, and build your own home on it.  Plenty of Premium members do that instead of requesting a Linden Home.

BTW, this is a public resident-to-resident Answers site.  Lindens very rarely come here and even more rarely respond to things that they might see.  We're all SL residents like you.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

Sono,

Welcome to Second Life!

You have a couple of things backwards.

First, we are not Linden Lab.  As Rolig says, we're just residents like yourself, here to offer advice voluntarily.

Second, you don't get a Premium membership based on getting or reserving a particular Linden Home.  You pay for the Premium membership FIRST, and a Linden Home is one of the benefits.  

As you have seen, not all styles of Linden Home are available at a given point in time.  You can pick from what's available, and then check back now and then to see if the style you want is being offered.  When it is, you can abandon your current home and sign up for a home in the style you prefer.  Even when the style you want is being offered, you can't pick the exact address of the home; that is assigned randomly.  But you can change your Linden Home up to 5 times per day, and some people do just that, playing a sort of Linden Home Lottery in hopes of getting their ideal location.

I recommend NOT getting a Premium membership, or a Linden Home, or any other sort of land, right away.  Spend a few weeks exploring Second Life for free and take the time to decide if you like it enough to invest a little money.  Once you pay for a Premium membership, you will NOT get a refund if you later decide you want to cancel it and go back to a free Basic membership plan.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2252 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.