How to make Avatar Deformers?

Cuddlebeam

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Alright, so there are basically two ways to accomplish this>

1) create a new body shape using the Appearance Editor, outdated interface but still relevant info available here http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Appearance

2) create a joint position animation to reposition each single joint and get shapes impossible to achieve with point #1

for the point #2, you have to use a 3D software that supports SL animation. Blender is a 3D software that comes free, but the required plug in is to be purchased (around 25 USD)

Otherwise, Maya (commercial software) with my plug in ;) or 3DSMax with Polysail's Marionette plug in.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

2) create a joint position animation to reposition each single joint

As i was mentioning in the quote, you'll need to output an animation toreposition the joints as a deformer from the default avatar. For this, you'll need a full Avastar character in your scene, i guess the avatar workbench won't do for this task.

From your picture, i'd say you were importing a default avatar as a rigged mesh, i'll assume to take advantage of the joint positions delivered with such a mesh. However, this would only work actually wearing the avatar mesh as an additional item, it won't somehow "override" your current avatar (except the joint position). An animation on the other hand lets you deform any avatar. 

I would recommend watching Medhue's youtube video tutorials on animation to get started.

On 2/23/2018 at 8:18 PM, Cuddlebeam said:

I, uh... Fixed it without buying anything. I just didn't have Export to SL/OpenSim pressed...

r0VECP7.png

I can now make Giant/Tiny/etc avatar with no problem... Thank you for your help.

I'll have to give that a try. At one time I used Deformers that I made. SL still supports them, but you can't upload them anymore. Got tons of em for various joints. Still use them in fact for some avatars. At one time I used Blender 2.49b ( I think that was it ) to adjust the SL skeleton and made several in various sizes. I need to look into what you did sometime. I don't do rigged mesh, but I use scults or non-rigged mesh body parts and attach them to the modded skeletons

I can't see paying for Avastar to do just one thing.

Thanks!

Edited by Heavyhauler
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.